Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Table Rock State Park April 9-11

Took the Boy Scouts backpacking at Table Rock State Park in the north-west corner of South Carolina. We have a bunch of youngsters that were Cub Scouts a month ago, so the intent of this trip was to introduce them to backpacking. For that reason, we picked the Bobcat Creek primitive group site. It was a short 15 minute hike from the cars, but long enough that they had to carry their gear.
    We got there with about an hour of daylight left, got setup and went to sleep beneath a beautiful black, star-filled sky. Temperature in the morning was 39 degrees. I had the Mt Washington 4 on the bottom and Old Rag mountain on top. Had to vent some during the night because I was too hot.

I'm way back in the back, behind the groundlings.

The plan for breakfast was a breakfast casserole, made with dehydrated shredded potatoes, dehydrated sausage, cheddar cheese, and scrambled eggs frozen in a Nalgene. With the temp at 39, the eggs were still a brick when we got up, but we heated some water, set the bottles in it and in just a few minutes, they were liquid enough to pour. Fixed it all up and not a morsel was left.
    The plan for the day was to split into two groups for hikes. The new scouts would do a 5 mile hike and another dad and I would take the older boys and do 10 miles.
    Here is the elevation chart for the Foothills Trail. We started on the right hand side at Table Rock and hiked 4 miles to the top of Pinnacle Mountain, then back down via the Ridge Trail for another 6 miles.

We were rewarded with a spectacular view just before reaching the top.

It took 4 hours to do the 4 miles up and 2 hours to do the 6 miles down. Got back to camp at 5:00 and this old scouter went straight to the Blackbird. Hot-a mighty, did it feel good!
    Here are the mandatory hammock pictures. Two of the adults had never seen anything like this and were very interested. They were in awe of the work done on the doors by the Zipper Queen. Could not believe that they were not original, colors matched perfect, seams were ... well, just perfect.

Supper was Burritos. I had dehydrated the burrito mix and salsa. All we had to do was rehydrate them, put them on a tortilla with some cheese and eat. One young man was a vegetarian, so we fixed up a bean and rice mixture for him. At our last troop meeting, we made pepsi can alcohol stoves. Some of the boys brought theirs to try so we used it to make the bean mixture, made from Knorr's Cajun Red Beans and Rice and Old El Paso Mexican Black Beans.

There was more than one vegetarian could eat, so once he had his fill, it was offered to the carnivores in the group. Again, not a morsel left.

While everyone was sitting around the campfire, I started the dessert. Banana Pudding.
    For each large box of Instant Vanilla Pudding, use 3/4 cup of powdered milk, 20 oz. of water, mini vanilla wafers, and banana chips.
    Mix the milk first, add the pudding, when it starts to set, add the cookies and chips. Eat.
    I tripled the recipe and used a whole box of wafers. The recipe I found called for warming the banana chips in water over the stove. I did it that way last weekend and did NOT like warmed banana chips. I recommend just dumping the chips in. I will definitely do that again.
    Another beautiful, cold night and it was time to eat again.
    Oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, sliced almonds, walnuts, powdered milk, and dried blueberries.

It was another beautiful weekend in the great outdoors.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Wow! Great pictures and report Swampfox, I made a desert like that last summer, found some Kebler mini gram cracker pie crusts about 3 inches in diameter added some pudding and some cookie crumbs and re-hydrated some raspberry's and sauce. Hit the spot after a long day on the trail. Looks like spring is in full blast out your way. Very jealous
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    While everyone was sitting around the campfire, I started the dessert. Banana Pudding.
    For each large box of Instant Vanilla Pudding, use 3/4 cup of powdered milk, 20 oz. of water, mini vanilla wafers, and banana chips.
    Mix the milk first, add the pudding, when it starts to set, add the cookies and chips. Eat.
    I tripled the recipe and used a whole box of wafers. The recipe I found called for warming the banana chips in water over the stove. I did it that way last weekend and did NOT like warmed banana chips. I recommend just dumping the chips in. I will definitely do that again.

Shug? Shug?? SHUG??? Are you seeing this!! 'Nanner pudding ON THE TRAIL!!! Wowser! He'll be a happy camper with this!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    OK now fess up ... were you sent to that back site due to snoring?

Ha ... OK just kidding ... great shots and great trip report. Looks like a good time for all those young men.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Wow wish I could read more reports like that - great job with the boys....

Harold-Scout 1918 indoctrinatated Sgt. WWI
    Derek - (not allowed to participate)
    Mark - Eagle Scout 1978
    Austin-Eagle Scout 2006

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    OK now fess up ... were you sent to that back site due to snoring?

Ha ... OK just kidding ... great shots and great trip report. Looks like a good time for all those young men.
    Yes I snore, but I'm told not nearly as bad as when I was on the ground.

As for the site choice, I was helping the new scouts get set up and took what was left. I found it to be perfect.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great report and pics.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Good stuff ... I first thought that it was a ground dweller report but, you changed that pretty quick! Great report! ...
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    Looks like your troop has some decent backpacking tents. We don't and I am still working on that one.

Anyways, looks like you all had fun, even brought some cubs huh.
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Looks like your troop has some decent backpacking tents. We don't and I am still working on that one.

Anyways, looks like you all had fun, even brought some cubs huh.
    All of the backpacking tents were personally owned by the scouts and Dads. We had one troop 9 pound tent that would sleep two very comfortably. One carried the tent, one carried the fly and poles.
    The youngsters were cubs about a month ago. They're Boy Scouts today.

We always do a thing called Thorns, Roses, and Buds before we leave. The boys get to reflect on the weekend and list one thing they didn't like (thorn), one they did like (rose), and something they would like to see more of (bud).
    One of the new scouts said his rose was getting to hike all day with his Dad.

If it had been a miserable weekend, that would have made it all worthwhile.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast