Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calf Pressure?

Calf Pressure?

How is the calf pressure in a BMBH? Calf pressure is my main complaint with a gathered end hammock. I'm thinking of buying the BMBH UL as it looks like it would not suffer the same problem because you don't lay diagonal. Any feedback from experienced users would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    BP

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've slept a few nights in a bridge and I can say you shouldn't ever have a problem with calf pressure in a bridge. You lay FLAT. The only complaint is that a bridge has a slight squeeze in the shoulders, but that is my own experience. You'll need a pillow!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Calf pressure/leg torque is also my biggest beef with the gathered end. The BMBH has almost no calf pressure at all. The only reason I say it has "almost" none is because the hammock still contacts my calves on their lower sides (because the hammock is U shaped), which creates just the slightest pressure to push them together, but is hardly noticeable. A bed pushes straight up on your calves (and body), while the BMBH has very slight lateral pushing. To me, it is noticeable on the shoulders (but manageable), and less noticeable on the legs.

If you sleep on your side, forget about any calf issues at all - the hammock is great for side sleeping.

I've been going through a bunch of hammocks over the last few months, and I'm really close to declaring the UL BMBH the winner - it is the most consistently comfortable hammock for me because it lacks the calf pressure issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bpctcb View Post
    How is the calf pressure in a BMBH? Calf pressure is my main complaint with a gathered end hammock. I'm thinking of buying the BMBH UL as it looks like it would not suffer the same problem because you don't lay diagonal. Any feedback from experienced users would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    BP
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post

I've been going through a bunch of hammocks over the last few months, and I'm really close to declaring the UL BMBH the winner - it is the most consistently comfortable hammock for me because it lacks the calf pressure issues.
    agreed ---
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    The above posters covered my thoughts as well...

Images

Thanks,
    BP
    The lack of calf pressure in a BMBH- probably in any bridge- is a thing of beauty. It is the one to match when it comes to lack of calf pressure, lack of knee hyper-extension or side twist when side sleeping. All just opinion based on my own use of many different hammocks.

The non-bridges have their own advantages for sure, which is probably why most people don't use bridge hammocks. It is a matter of pros and cons and one pro or con will be more important for one person than another. But when it comes to what you asked about, the BMBH is King of the Hill!

Welcome to HF!

Update-

I bought a BMBH Deluxe and took it on my elk hunt. Wow, I've now found hammock nirvana! Calf pressure is nonexistent. I have two bad shoulders and was concerned about shoulder squeeze. I did not have any shoulder discomfort. I did find that I needed to keep my elbows slightly up or I had elbow squeeze. I basically kept my hands either on my stomach or one up over my head. This hammock is great! Used with a 0* Incubator and a Hennesey Hex tarp with sewn on doors by 2QZQ. I believe I have now found the ultimate setup for me.

This forum is great, thanks for all the advice.

BP

Images
    Update-

I bought a BMBH Deluxe and took it on my elk hunt. Wow, I've now found hammock nirvana! Calf pressure is nonexistent. I have two bad shoulders and was concerned about shoulder squeeze. I did not have any shoulder discomfort. I did find that I needed to keep my elbows slightly up or I had elbow squeeze. I basically kept my hands either on my stomach or one up over my head. This hammock is great! Used with a 0* Incubator and a Hennesey Hex tarp with sewn on doors by 2QZQ. I believe I have now found the ultimate setup for me.

This forum is great, thanks for all the advice.

BP
    Great to hear about that plan coming together! You always wonder how the shoulder issue will work out. That calf thingie really can be a chronic irritant. If it was not for that one thing, I would always choose a non-bridge and use them with my Pea Pod or HHSS. Not that the bridges don't have some other pros compared to non-bridge, but take away the calf thing and the over all benefits switch to the non-bridge for me.

Did you get the BMBH deluxe or UL?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I've slept a few nights in a bridge and I can say you shouldn't ever have a problem with calf pressure in a bridge. You lay FLAT. The only complaint is that a bridge has a slight squeeze in the shoulders, but that is my own experience. You'll need a pillow!
    Mmm....I'd have to say no squeeze in the Ridgerunner Bridge.

Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Mmm....I'd have to say no squeeze in the Ridgerunner Bridge.

Miguel
    Id say no squeeze in a BMBH with an inflated 25 inch pad. Ill also echo the above posts- Ive been trying out a number of bridge and gathered end hammocks lately, and for whatever reasons- ill document them later- the hammock I want to actually take with me and use is the BMBH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast