Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    It pays of in the hot weather. I've had 2 quarts of water last me 3 days backpacking in July, and that includes cooking and cleaning dishes.
    How does that pay off? Dehydration is serious business. 2 quarts for 3 days?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i thought basting was for turkey ...
    even with that body fat, dehydrations is serious, what are you thinking
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Images
    I don't dehydrate though. I eat all of the normal meals like ramen, oatmeal, and all the good old fashioned camping foods. I just don't need the water because I don't sweat. I average a 5 mph pace with a 60 lbs load (I've cut that in half) and never got dehydrated or even close. I have the water handy, so I'm not trying to go with as little as possible. I just simply don't need to drink any when I hike. I am CPR and First Aid certified and an Eagle Scout, so I know the signs of dehydration and all that good first aid stuff. If I get thirsty I drink. I just simply don't need to. No explanation why. I actually got examined very thoroughly at Parris Island when I was in boot camp. They said to drink 8-12 canteens a day since it was 100*+ every day, but I was only drinking one. The docs checked me over, declared me fit, and told me to drink what I want because I must know what my body needs. So I got a Naval doctors approval to not drink water.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't dehydrate though. I eat all of the normal meals like ramen, oatmeal, and all the good old fashioned camping foods. I just don't need the water because I don't sweat. I average a 5 mph pace with a 60 lbs load (I've cut that in half) and never got dehydrated or even close. I have the water handy, so I'm not trying to go with as little as possible. I just simply don't need to drink any when I hike. I am CPR and First Aid certified and an Eagle Scout, so I know the signs of dehydration and all that good first aid stuff. If I get thirsty I drink. I just simply don't need to. No explanation why. I actually got examined very thoroughly at Parris Island when I was in boot camp. They said to drink 8-12 canteens a day since it was 100*+ every day, but I was only drinking one. The docs checked me over, declared me fit, and told me to drink what I want because I must know what my body needs. So I got a Naval doctors approval to not drink water.
    Cerberus, Semper Fi and HYOH, but I wouldn't tempt fate. But if you know what works for you, then more power to ya!

Jay "Hooch" Johnston
    Former Active Duty USMC 1987-92
    CPL, 2531, 8654
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    5 mph AVERAGE?!?!!? I'd suggest you were mixing crack with your water, but I don't think you're drinking enough water for that! Do you even SEE the trees going by, or is everything just a big green blur??
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    5 mph AVERAGE?!?!!? I'd suggest you were mixing crack with your water, but I don't think you're drinking enough water for that! Do you even SEE the trees going by, or is everything just a big green blur??

I do keep 2 quarts on me at all times, and fill up whenever available. I may not need the water then, but you never know. Scout moto, Be Prepared and I live by it.

When I start hiking I just get into a groove and start moving. All of the trees look the same, so I don't care to look at them. I just hike fast for a long time that way I can spend more time at the good views. I was with a group of 30 with scouts a few years back on the AT, and it was my first time on the trail. We were in the Unaka Mt. area and a friend and I were both hauling up a mountain. We were 3 hours ahead of our group, and we just started 5 hours ago. So we decided to hang out and wait for them. We got to spend 3 hours sitting on a bluff that was hidden by some trees, and could see nothing but deep green rolling hills so far that we could see the earth curve and disappear. A perfect view. We ate lunch, and just hung out lost in our own thoughts for 3 hours. When our group caught up we packed up and headed out. They only got to spend 15 mintutes at the view because we needed to reach our campsite to stay on schedule. It sometimes pays off to hike fast.

Hooch, my fellow recruits really appreciated me not drinknig much. On the bad days they could count on me having 2 full canteens to share.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hooch, my fellow recruits really appreciated me not drinknig much. On the bad days they could count on me having 2 full canteens to share.
    After I got to the fleet, when we were in the bush, we'd carry at 4 canteens apiece for longer patrols in the days before the almighty CamelBak was invented. Heavy, but effective. I was already bogged down with gear and a radio anyway.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    After I got to the fleet, when we were in the bush, we'd carry at 4 canteens apiece for longer patrols in the days before the almighty CamelBak was invented. Heavy, but effective. I was already bogged down with gear and a radio anyway.
    Wait, CameBak wasn't always around? Wow.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Wait, CameBak wasn't always around? Wow.
    Alright, smarta$$.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Alright, smarta$$.
    Atleast I deleted the part about carrier pigeons and trebuchets.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast