Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhiker View Post
    Angrysparrow and anyone who gets knots!!!!

I got all the items I need to change to buckles and looked at yours' /Blackbishop's knot from the above listed pic. I can't figure out how to tie it (pls don't laugh TOO hard). Any help from anyone? Thanks
    If you're still coming to the Alabama Hang this weekend, just bring it with you and we'll get it finished.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Angrysparrow and anyone who gets knots!!!!

I got all the items I need to change to buckles and looked at yours' /Blackbishop's knot from the above listed pic. I can't figure out how to tie it (pls don't laugh TOO hard). Any help from anyone? Thanks
    No laughing, I promise!

I have to assume you mean the buckle end of the arrangement. If not, then reply and I'll get some pics of the other end. Sorry for the 'quick and dirty' pics.

Step one, fold your cord in half and get your buckle handy.

Step two, place the folded cord through the buckle.

Step three, fold the cord.

Step 4, pull the loose ends back through the buckle.

Step 5, bring the loose ends back through the loop.

Step 6, Pull the knot tight by tugging on the loose ends.

There's a bunch of different ways to do this, but the above is the method that I use. If you still have questions, or if I have misunderstood what you're looking for, then just let me know and I'll try to be more clear.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    No laughing, I promise!

I have to assume you mean the buckle end of the arrangement. If not, then reply and I'll get some pics of the other end. Sorry for the 'quick and dirty' pics.

There's a bunch of different ways to do this, but the above is the method that I use. If you still have questions, or if I have misunderstood what you're looking for, then just let me know and I'll try to be more clear.
    Thanks so much for the quick response and detailed pics! I can tie it now - I'm almost sure I'm unclear on how to do this w/ the attached stock ropes on my HH. Do I have to remove them first?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Thanks so much for the quick response and detailed pics! I can tie it now - I'm almost sure I'm unclear on how to do this w/ the attached stock ropes on my HH. Do I have to remove them first?
    Well, I suppose so for using the method shown above. I guess you could cut the stock spectra and just tie it to the buckle, but I don't have any pics of that.

The method I used was simply to replace the stock spectra with some Spyderline. There are many types of cording that would work just as well, though.

In some pics Grizz posted (and that have been linked to a lot) he gave a good overview of replacing the standard HH knot.

Pic1, Pic2, Pic3, Pic4

That's the basic method of using another cord to replace the standard spectra. My knot through the HH end looks like this when finished.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Assuming the HH rope is narrow enough to do this knot, then no.

Form a loop in the in the HH rope somewhere near the hammock end, say, 18 inches. You can then tie the prusik as shown, and will have a lot of rope trailing off of the buckle with nuthin to do. For peace of mind some will now tie another knot with the loose end to further secure the knot around the buckle. For your knot comfort I'd suggest a couple of half hitches. Now you're still left with multiple feet of loose rope, which you can bundle up by wrapping loops around the fingers of one hand, side by side (and on top of each other) until you have about 1 foot left, then use that to wrap around your loops to hold them together, then slip the free end under one of those last wraps.

I answered a similar question a while ago and posted a picture of the tucked up coil.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    just to throw another thought to those who are newer here on HF & looking at different adjustment methods for the hammock supports.
    here's one that works. i've used it a number of times... it just involves a little more time & effort than the buckles<g>.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/19e1.jpg
    look at the beginning of my gallery for more pictures.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Assuming the HH rope is narrow enough to do this knot, then no.

rizz
    This knot can be done, following the prussick style shown in BB's links here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...euser=7&page=4 (scroll down to middle of page)
    and step by step photos. I used a single strand of the stock 1600lb HH ultralight Explorer rope. Without disconnecting the rope from the hammock. It's a bit stiff to work with, but not much difficulty really. It is easier with the spyderline. With both, I just followed the step by step directions from BB.

Also, good pics of the HH knot from Griz( at the links above in AngrySarrow's post)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-15-2007 at 23:15. Reason: attempt to get links and credits correct

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Thanks everyone. And Stoikurt, I'll see you in Andalusia!...Todd

hitchcraft ropetie cleat

I just got my hitchcraft.net ropetie cleats in the mail, I ordered the smaller size. Specs say they're 0.92 oz (26 g) each; on my digital scale the one I weighed came out at 27 grams, close enough. It's a very simple system and seems very effective in brief testing. I haven't had time to use it with my (HH) hammock yet, but I'm optimistic. I reckon I'll use just one on one end, use the standard HH wrap on the other side.

One minor factor with these is that they're kind of sharp on one end. With so much delicate and expensive ultralight gear all stuffed in a(n also delicate) backpack, things with sharp points aren't good news, so I added another 0.4 oz of foam to wrap the thing in.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, but on my next backpacking trip I'll be sharing a tent with my wife ...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianle View Post
    I just got my hitchcraft.net ropetie cleats in the mail, I ordered the smaller size. Specs say they're 0.92 oz (26 g) each; on my digital scale the one I weighed came out at 27 grams, close enough. It's a very simple system and seems very effective in brief testing. I haven't had time to use it with my (HH) hammock yet, but I'm optimistic. I reckon I'll use just one on one end, use the standard HH wrap on the other side.

One minor factor with these is that they're kind of sharp on one end. With so much delicate and expensive ultralight gear all stuffed in a(n also delicate) backpack, things with sharp points aren't good news, so I added another 0.4 oz of foam to wrap the thing in.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, but on my next backpacking trip I'll be sharing a tent with my wife ...
    Excellent. looking forward to a report. This is about the only suspension technique left that I have not played with. I like it because it has a 50lb greater rating than my nylon cleats. Although, there seems to be some question regarding the smaller ropes and how they might decrease the rating?

I'm still liking my nylon cleat, though I think the cinch buckle is a little quicker/smoother for getting things well tightened. I was worried about the rating, but I haven't yet seen even the bending of one of the cleats that had been mentioned by others. Probably a matter of time. Though the 200lb working load rating seems to be a little low, I will, before hitting the sack for the night, put an extra hitch or knot from the cleat around the biner or webbing. Which, It seems to me, will at least significantly slow my speed to ground if the cleat breaks in half, once the few inches of slack is taken up. And maybe even totally prevent a fall. But I can't get anybody to give an opinion on this on the thread I started. But I feel it will help. I would use the same extra insurance with the hitchcraft while trying it out, if I finally get one to try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast