Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I looked into the dutch biner but still don't have much knowledge about them yet. I don't know how I feel about biner to hammock, then whoopies, then to tree straps. Deffiently seems like a great option for reducing weight though.

Does anyone use it going from whoopies to tree straps like a traditional carabiner? Or would a 1" tree strap be to much to jam in there along with the whoopie?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    I looked into the dutch biner but still don't have much knowledge about them yet. I don't know how I feel about biner to hammock, then whoopies, then to tree straps. Deffiently seems like a great option for reducing weight though.

Does anyone use it going from whoopies to tree straps like a traditional carabiner? Or would a 1" tree strap be to much to jam in there along with the whoopie?
    Although you can jam a some of the softer and thinner 1" webbing in a Dutch Biner it was meant to attach amsteel to amsteel. To make it accommodate webbing added weight and weakened the biner. So if that is important I would suggest the Nano biner. I have an amsteel loop on either my hammock or my hugger to attach the biner.

Here is a video showing 2 way they can be used. The second is the way I use it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYQMW9SHik
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the response dutch! I never even thought of having amsteel attached to the webbing and then the biner. I like that way a lot. Do you have a website you sell them through? Or just go through someone else like ahe?

Also while I have your attention I was wondering if the dutch clip served any other purpose rather than its convience?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Thanks for the response dutch! I never even thought of having amsteel attached to the webbing and then the biner. I like that way a lot. Do you have a website you sell them through? Or just go through someone else like ahe?

Also while I have your attention I was wondering if the dutch clip served any other purpose rather than its convience?
    I don't personally sell them but the Jacks carry them at;
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchBiner.htm

Originally the Dutch clip was really for cinch buckles and other all webbing suspensions. People were using climbing biners instead of removing the webbing from thier buckles. However now with whoopie slings I think they are used more for the all in one that AHE and JRB sell. The whoopie became the cinch buckle. So if you have an all in one you almost need a clip or a biner.
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-28-2010 at 06:57.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have never heard of a "dutch biner"--------what a great idea! Thanks ! There appears to be no end in site for creativity on this site!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    well it took some time for me to get the hype in whoopie slings, but as I just received mine today, I totally get it, man this amsteel is sweet stuff
    I ordered the all in one from JRB and must say I can also see what the hype is on dutch biners and clips

just a quick question : are 1 inch tree straps better than 2 inches, just curious, is the 1 inch only better in term of weight
    Pan demonstrated the JRB suspension to me and I thought it was pretty cool, but I'm still a little hesitant to mod my stock Hennessy. Why did you finally make the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by daltontr View Post
    Pan demonstrated the JRB suspension to me and I thought it was pretty cool, but I'm still a little hesitant to mod my stock Hennessy. Why did you finally make the switch?
    one of the ropes on the Hennessy showed some wear and I decided I wanted a ring at the end of the hammock to hang things from

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Why mod the suspension???

My JRB suspension order is in. Hopefully I'll get to try it out this weekend.

There were multiple reasons for my switch. First, I like knots but really hate the rope on my HH. It's plenty strong but really stiff and hard to work with. All my knots seemed to always have quite a bit of give before they set. For this reason I always had to set my hammock really high then it would sag to the right spot once I climbed in. I'm hoping the "no stretch" aspect of the whoopies will alleviate that.

I picked up an OES tarp and I'm planning to run a separate ridgeline. I won't need the connections on the hammock suspension. Not that I couldn't rig up something but it's now unnecessary.

Maybe save some weight?? I'm not too sure on that one but it will definitely save some bulk. The additional weight of the clips/biners kind of offset the weight savings of the amsteel I'd guess. I haven't removed the lines from my hammock yet so I don't really have much idea of their current weight.

Last but most importantly....I just like to tinker. I can't leave anything alone.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I weight 275 lbs and use 1" straps on all my hammocks with no problems.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    thanks for all the quick responses, I'm not worried about the straps not holding me, I was more concerned about the trees and if 1 inch is ok or would 2 inches be better if not overkill!
    Personally, I'm not concerned about the 1" being insufficient for my weight either. I use 2" straps to distribute my load over a wider area on the tree.
    While I appreciate all of the anecdotal accounts that 1" straps do no harm to trees, I humbly submit that those accounts do NOT constitute scientific research. I haven't done exhaustive research in this area, but have not yet found anything that I would consider scientific evidence sufficient to judge the true long term effects that may/may not result from the more concentrated forces of the narrower straps... or, in fairness, to support my decision to go with the wider straps.

The way I see it, the weight penalty of the 2" vs 1" straps is minimal, and my conscience rests easier with the wider straps. I won't bash those using 1" straps though, as it seems logical that the 1" straps would be a vast improvement over just wrapping the rope around a tree... especially when talking about thin rope like 7/64" amsteel.

If we go with the old "let your conscience be your guide", based on your prior comments, it sounds like you've already made your decision.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12