Thread: cold material

cold material

I haven't seen this talked about much, except on one guys scout camping site. He was bothered by the coldness of the camping hammock materials. I have an eno double, and two homemade jobs, one is light ripstop, the other is dark mystery fabric from dollarbin. I took the eno camping in summer with a light walmart fleece bag, all was good. But lying in any of theese hammocks in cooler temps, even in living room without anything between me and hammock just saps body heat. I sleep in hammock full time, I often use the fleece bag wich is good. But, often the air temp is warm enough to not need covering, But the coldness of theese materials makes it necessary. So I sometimes lay on a blanket. Problem is, blanket ends up in ball at lowest point of hammock. I'll bet some of you have seen this. Anyway I was thinking of somehow attaching a light blanket to the inside of hammock, But I don't know if I want to sew it, Because in warm to hot temps I'll want the coolness of the nylon. Has anyone done anything like this with some sort of removable attachment? I tried some clamps at both ends, Not to good. I don't think velcro would be sufficient as much as I roll. Maybe some laces along the edge and at ends , or some buttons. I don't know what do you guys think?

Happy hangin. Jeff Pugh

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is what underquilts are for.

- JT

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I know this forum is mostly about camping hammocks, but other commercial hammocks are great for home sleeping because they use a nice heavy weight cotton (or similar) material. They aren't too expensive and they will do wonders for home comfort levels. I'm a full time hammock sleeper too and this one is my current home favorite.

I can crank the AC down and not have to deal with bottom insulation. That has been the case with most all of the commercial hammocks I've tried; this one is just my current favorite at home.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm a full time hammock sleeper too and this one is my current home favorite.
    Does yours have those little lacy, frilly things on the edge like in the pictures?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes.

And they are attached like a son of a.....! It almost looks like they are part of the overall weave. I'm scared to snip them off for fear I'll lose some type of structural integrity. My Mom told me if I cut them off (was the first thing I threatened to do) that I have to send them to her; because they're pretty.

It was a gift from Mommy, so how can I snip them without hurting her feelings. Besides, the G/F kind of likes them, soooooooo.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That Rocker kit for 16.00 always cracks me up...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    weedeater, it's not really the material but the air underneath it that makes you cold. Different materials do conduct heat differently, but in this case I think the thickness matters more than the material. Just stick a fleece blanket on the outside like an underquilt.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts