Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

uses for Thermoflect and other shiny materials

Awaiting my Thermoflect blankets, which I expect will show up tomorrow or the next day, I'm thinking ahead to tests to determine advantageous uses for them. I've prepared by getting two other shiny sheets to compare them with - aluminized ripstop from DIYgearsupply and aluminized CTF3 (cuben). I've got a space blanket, too, but I'm more interested in these more durable materials.

I tried the sheet of shiny cuben tied under my insulated hammock once, but had considerable condensation forming between it and the hammock - not too surprising, as the temperature was around 30° F. and the humidity was high. I think I pulled it too close, also.

So, questions: how close or far away should radiant reflectors be from the sources of radiation (us)? What materials will radiant heat pass through easily? (Down, I suspect. How about different synthetic insulations?) How strong, how breathable, how light, how easy peasy freezy, and so forth. Bring on your tests and share your data. One application I want to try is making a wind-break/reflector for winter campfires.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

First impressions and weights

Received the Thermoflect blankets and made some quick comparisons with 3 other shiny materials.

By weight: Thermoflect and Aluminized Ripstop are in the same ballpark, ~ 1.5 oz./sq. yd.
    Aluminized CTF3 aka "cuben" (CT1K.18) is about half that.
    Mylar Space Blanket is about 1/3 at .5 oz./sq.yd. (I included the space blanket for quick comparison to something everyone would be familiar with. It is so weak compared to the other three that I won't include it in further tests, though for some it could have use as a temporary emergency layer.)

By strength: Not measured yet, but I'm impressed at the feel of the Thermoflect. I did a little tug-test, and it's stronger than I expected. The CTF3 is very likely far stronger than the other two, but it is expensive and may not even be available any more, so our real interest is the comparison between Thermoflect and Aluminized Ripstop.

Future tests: wind resistance and/or breathability, which may or may not be the same thing. The passage of air and water vapor could be substantially different, and one may be much more important than the other in some applications.

That's what I know so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Great report WV.
    Looking forward to hearing more as you continue your comparison.
    Thank you

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I'm curious about the "Not For Use In MRI" sticker. That seem to indicate something of a metallic nature in the fabric? I haven't ordered nor seen this Thermoflect stuff but I am curious as to its properties.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Syb,
    We use this at the hospital to keep patients warm in the OR. Medical folks originally used this material in MRI, but after something happened and/or research was done the company recalled and started putting on stickers and embossing Do NOT use in MRI.

I don't personally know of any specific issues with MRI here.

It feels metally if that's a word, but don't know the actually make up of the product.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    I'm curious about the "Not For Use In MRI" sticker. That seem to indicate something of a metallic nature in the fabric? I haven't ordered nor seen this Thermoflect stuff but I am curious as to its properties.
    Yes, there is probably a single molecule thick layer of aluminium on one side of the fabric. While not magnetic like iron, inside the intense magnetic field of an MRI the blankets begin to get warm and could potentially burn a patient. So, no MRI!
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    What about flammability?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What about flammability?
    Doubt if it would make good fire starter. Probably not good at smothering flames, either. Somewhere in between?

When I removed my masking tape label it pulled away a very thin layer of clear plastic and the aluminum layer just beneath it. I tried to remove the "Not for use in MRI" label, and it was even more destructive. Little bits of the blue layer came off, too. The blue is soft, like type 14 Tyvek. Without knowing what these layers are specifically made of, I'd guess that they probably do burn, and I wouldn't want to breathe the fumes given off. Will test eventually (except for the breathing part).
    Last edited by WV; 02-24-2012 at 20:07. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What about flammability?
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Doubt if it would make good fire starter.

Without knowing what these layers are specifically made of, I'd guess that they probably do burn, and I wouldn't want to breathe the fumes given off. Will test eventually (except for the breathing part).
    I am fully confident that oldgringo could get it to burn.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    They are rated to meet some government standard for flame redardant clothing; like childrens sleepwear.

A simple solution to hypothermia that utilizes NASA-pioneered science instead of electricity. Reflects a patient's endogenous radiant heat, banking it in the body's core, while preventing convective heat loss (wind chill). Latex free. Nonconductive. Lined with a soft, patient-friendly inner surface. Cost-effective, ultra-lightweight yet durable, and move easily with the patient throughout the perioperative journey. Meets 16 CRF Part 1610 Standard for Flammability of Clothing Textiles. Meets 16 CFR Part 1615 Standard for the Flammability of Children's Sleepwear Sizes 0 through 6X. Meets 16 CRF Part 1616 Standard for the Flammability of Children's Sleepwear Sizes 7 through 14.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 02-24-2012 at 13:33.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast