Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    the more i think about it I should just wait on the tarp and get something like a kelty noah 12x12 it is only about 20 bucks more than the chinook 12x9. too many options lol

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Sorry, but yes, it is 8.4x8.4 12 on the diamond. Actual measurements are listed in the description now (not in red anymore, but it's there), and some of the reviews state it too.

If you've just ordered, call them before they ship it out and have them upgrade you to the 16x16....which will actually be 11x11 (these are also not cat cut or seam sealed so you'll have to seam seal it and reinforce the tie outs). They're not anything like the original quality of the Guide Gear tarps. Good luck.
    what do you mean reinforce the tie outs? sew them on tighter or just pitch them tighter. I would expect to have to seam seal it. suck on them btw.

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    the more i think about it I should just wait on the tarp and get something like a kelty noah 12x12 it is only about 20 bucks more than the chinook 12x9. too many options lol
    you know the more I look at it the more I want to save up for one of Brian's tarps now that he is back in business.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanvalentinus View Post
    you know the more I look at it the more I want to save up for one of Brian's tarps now that he is back in business.
    Who's Brian?

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    sorry he is the man behind Outdoor Equipment Supplier. He makes the best cat cut tarps out there and he was out of business until very recently. when I decided to upgrade to a silnylon tarp his was the one I chose only he was at that time just stopping to make tarps. Now that he is up and running again, and Im getting my money back from the guide gear debacle, Im getting a tarp from him like I always wanted to.

http://outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles

pink princess

I just got one of the guide gear tarps I ordered. one that is fantasticly smaller than I judged. I was thinking of sending it back but it might make a nice little diamond tarp. the wierd thing was. It came with a tent stake bag with a couple cheap stakes and some guy line...cool didnt know that was coming with, but the tent stake bag was powder pink and it said princess all over it. maybe that is why the price was so low hahaha.

I kinda want to keep it more now, hahahahaha

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Someone else mentioned a pink princess stake bag. I thought it was a thing they had, did not realize they were coming with the tarp. That is too funny. Right now I am leaning towards a Kelty Noah 12 for a tarp. it is 2 pounds but seems like a fairly well built tarp and 60 bucks is not too bad of a price. It will certainly beat my cheap poly tarp. I am almost done with a DIY bug net, making it in a way that I can set it up like a bug tent if I had to be on the ground. Fun project.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If you are an REI member, you could use your dividends from last year's purchases and the 20% off of one item to purchase your Kelty tarp. I had mine shipped to one of their stores and got free shipping. Just a thought. cheers!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    If you are an REI member, you could use your dividends from last year's purchases and the 20% off of one item to purchase your Kelty tarp. I had mine shipped to one of their stores and got free shipping. Just a thought. cheers!
    I blew my 20% on a pair of five fingers lol. But I have been looking at the kelty. For 60 bucks it seems a pretty good deal. I need to weigh in (pun intended ) on the cost vs weight when compared to other tarps. I set up my hammock again for a test of my bugnet and used my 11x9 poly tarp in an A frame. The coverage was not bad but I definitely need the 12 foot length.

I have been looking at some other possibilities that are more expensive. The Warbonnet Superfly looks nice at 19 oz but it is twice the cost of the Kelty, But the kelty is twice the weight. You can shed ounces but you shed money too lol. Also pricing out a 12x10 BSUSA tarp, which is a nicer color than the kelty. I would lose a little side coverage but it might be a good option too. Too many options of size and weight. Hate to spend 60 bucks and curse a year later about having a brick in my pack. Although the kelty is certainly lighter than my poly tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    I blew my 20% on a pair of five fingers lol. But I have been looking at the kelty. For 60 bucks it seems a pretty good deal. I need to weigh in (pun intended ) on the cost vs weight when compared to other tarps. I set up my hammock again for a test of my bugnet and used my 11x9 poly tarp in an A frame. The coverage was not bad but I definitely need the 12 foot length.

I have been looking at some other possibilities that are more expensive. The Warbonnet Superfly looks nice at 19 oz but it is twice the cost of the Kelty, But the kelty is twice the weight. You can shed ounces but you shed money too lol. Also pricing out a 12x10 BSUSA tarp, which is a nicer color than the kelty. I would lose a little side coverage but it might be a good option too. Too many options of size and weight. Hate to spend 60 bucks and curse a year later about having a brick in my pack. Although the kelty is certainly lighter than my poly tarp.
    I know I mentioned this above, but...

Just to throw it out there, Hennessy makes a 12 x 10 PU-coated hex tarp that's 23 oz before lines. They charge $70 before shipping, so not a bad deal.

I've used it in both fair and pouring monsoon weather on and off for about nine months now and not been disappointed. I think I've spent about seven or eight nights in rain ranging from sprinkles to "if I wasn't two miles from the nearest shelter right now...", mostly toward the upper range of that (there's a reason that FL is the lightning-strike capitol of the US). It's just now needing a bit of seam sealing over the factory taping on the ridgeline (I had a few intermittent drips last week with my wife when I threw it up over our four-man tent).

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast