WBBB DL1.1 Custom Lefty
    Tarp
    MacCat 4 season
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook kit
    Images
    I sort of sewed my shoulder wings on with zing it. Works great in the hammock but is kind of a pain when trying to roll it up. I roll it tight as I can and tie the roll to the top of my pack. I'll try to post pics but I'm new to the forums and haven't figured out how to do that yet.
    It's never a trip, It's always an adventure!

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Todd,

The dimensions are easy: just cut the pad in half. I just bought one of those blue closed-cell foam pads from Walmart (around $8). I don't place the pad under my head. The coverage begins at my shoulders and down to the small of my back. The other pad also starts in the small of my back so I get double coverage on my butt and then it goes down to my knees or so. Because of where it is located in the small of my back, the seam isn't noticeable.

Why no head coverage? Well, for starters, the hammock really contorts at the head and foot area so a wide pad really is gangly up by my head and feet. Also, all I really need is some insulation around my head, and a good beanie or insulated hood works perfectly there.

For the early spring, late fall, or winter when you need extra insulation, especially the lower part of your legs, you'll want a second pad anyway, and that pad can extend to reach your lower legs and feet and provide additional insulation.
    Derek
    For some reason I'm just seeing your post. I understand better how you are setting it up now. How wide is it at the widest? 36"? My set up would be only 30", though I could cut 6" or more off each of the lower sides to use as wings and end up with 32 or even 34", but that wouldn't leave much at the bottom. Also, when attaching the two halves in your set up, why overlap? Why not butt them and tape? Is it for extra insulation?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    I sort of sewed my shoulder wings on with zing it. Works great in the hammock but is kind of a pain when trying to roll it up. I roll it tight as I can and tie the roll to the top of my pack. I'll try to post pics but I'm new to the forums and haven't figured out how to do that yet.
    If I use tape on the back side I can fold it in that direction and roll it up. the only thing i don't like is the glue on the tape could get on the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1 Custom Lefty
    Tarp
    MacCat 4 season
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook kit
    Images
    It would fold in the direction of the tape and I dont think the glue on the tape would be an issue if you dont use double sided tape. I think when you fold the wings and roll it, it would be an issue because the two layers want to roll in a different radius. Thats where my problem came into play. I used the zing it to tie them together and it gave the two layers some "slak" and rolled up pretty good. Untill I can get the pics posted, I hope this helps...
    It's never a trip, It's always an adventure!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Todd,

The dimensions are easy: just cut the pad in half. I just bought one of those blue closed-cell foam pads from Walmart (around $8). I don't place the pad under my head. The coverage begins at my shoulders and down to the small of my back. The other pad also starts in the small of my back so I get double coverage on my butt and then it goes down to my knees or so. Because of where it is located in the small of my back, the seam isn't noticeable.

Why no head coverage? Well, for starters, the hammock really contorts at the head and foot area so a wide pad really is gangly up by my head and feet. Also, all I really need is some insulation around my head, and a good beanie or insulated hood works perfectly there.

For the early spring, late fall, or winter when you need extra insulation, especially the lower part of your legs, you'll want a second pad anyway, and that pad can extend to reach your lower legs and feet and provide additional insulation.
    Sorry again. These threads get long and I forget to re-read earlier posts. I see that you don't attach them because you use them when packing.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    Derek
    For some reason I'm just seeing your post. I understand better how you are setting it up now. How wide is it at the widest? 36"? My set up would be only 30", though I could cut 6" or more off each of the lower sides to use as wings and end up with 32 or even 34", but that wouldn't leave much at the bottom. Also, when attaching the two halves in your set up, why overlap? Why not butt them and tape? Is it for extra insulation?
    The pads from Walmart are 72 in. (183 cm.) long. Cut in half would give you two (2) pads 36 in. (91 cm.) long. I think these pads are 20 in. (51 cm.) wide, maybe 24 in. (61 cm.).

I overlap them for a few reasons. First is ease of packing. Once I'm done with the pads, I match them together to roll them up, or use them inside my back to create a barrel effect for packing and frame support. I've even made DIY z-fold by scoring the pads (cutting half-way through one side) and then folding them inside my pack.

Another reason for overlapping is keeping the pads together. Glue or taping also works, but if you don't, overlapping helps keep pressure on the pads so they don't shift or slip. I can arch my back and reposition the pads if they move.

Overlapping adds a little more insulation right on my butt, which is nice.

For the pad that goes around my shoulders, I rounded the corners so they would fit better with my hammock. Shaping the pads can be done on the lower portion too if you're really looking for weight savings.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    As I posted elsewhere, I tried cutting in half and taping them, but that didn't work because each pad wants to go its own way when i lay in it, causing the tape to pull off. I found the width at 36" to be about right, and compensates some for sliding around, but if I angle them for angled sleeping, it is still tricky to keep coverage. Laying them both on the horizontal causes some lumpiness on the sides in particular, where my weight causes them to curl. I'm going to try T formation which may reduce some of the side lumpiness, but may not provide sufficient coverage on the bottom width (though the length is longer). I'm surprised the SPE's overcome the lumpiness where the foam meets, but that may be an improvement. i'm also thinking about adding some reflective material as a backup, but i don't like the idea of putting it between the pad and my sleeping bag. work in progress

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I use glueded (Contact cement) Velcro strips to the pads to hold the 2 parts together when in the hammock. Then seperate them for packing.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    You guys are clever. But, not too bunched up?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast