Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by O.L. View Post
    I don't know if this will help anyone, but I sleep on my back with my feet flat on the groun.....uh I mean air (I guess flat on the pad will work) With my heels about 18inches from my rear and my knees spread about a foot apart pointed at the ceiling..uh.. tarp) It kind of looks awkward but i always sleep this way and it feels real comfortable.

like this ____/\_ (Artistic masterpiece ends here)
    I've ended up sleeping that way in my HH, but only because I couldn't get comfortable otherwise. I sleep laid out full-length on my back in my homemade and I'm perfectly comfortable.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    both at home & on the trail, i use something for a pillow beneath my knees when on my back & between my knees when on my side.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by O.L. View Post
    I don't know if this will help anyone, but I sleep on my back with my feet flat on the groun.....uh I mean air (I guess flat on the pad will work) With my heels about 18inches from my rear and my knees spread about a foot apart pointed at the ceiling..uh.. tarp) It kind of looks awkward but i always sleep this way and it feels real comfortable.

like this ____/\_ (Artistic masterpiece ends here)
    Nice description....I'm gonna try that.

Images
    Drop:
    It's funny this should come up as I was just about to post about knees. My left one has been acting up recently, it feels kind of like a mild hyper extension. I cant work out if its hammock caused, hammock exacerbated or just one of those things.

I'll have a go at changing the sag, possibly even have a crack at a home-made as i'd hate for this to be a deal breaker.
    By all means, don't let it be a deal breaker. When I finally followed the advice of others here and put a little clothing in a stuff sack under my knees, problem completely solved! I think it also helps between my knees when I'm on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    When I was in Panama, sleeping in a net hammock, this seemed to be a problem. The way I addressed the issue was to sleep at more of an angle. It seems that if you are already using an asym hammock it is probably caused by the hammock being to short. Or it could be the pitch of the hammock?
    I'm not quite 6'1". But I have the longer UL Explorer Asym and have always had the lock knee problem even when laying on the diagonal. Maybe I don't have enough sag? But, I thought the integral ridge line was to assure a constant sag? Next time I hang my Speer I'll have to pay special attention to the knee problem. I'm not certain, but I think the knee lock might not have been as noticeable in the Speer. Regardless, it is easily solved just by putting something under the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Make a longer and wider hammock, then hang it with a LOT of sag and lay way diagonal (yes, way diagonal is the technical term). After some experimenting, you'll zero in on the right length/width/sag combo for you.
    How do you make it wider? I've got a 60 inch wide hammock, but I've got linebacker shoulders and I always feel crunched. Maybe I don't have enough sag going.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    60" should be enough...just be sure it's long enough and you have plenty of sag. You should have a minimum of your height + 2' between the knots/whipping...I like more than that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    both at home & on the trail, i use something for a pillow beneath my knees when on my back & between my knees when on my side.
    i also hang my hammock pretty tight & sleep on a thick, insulated air mat that's only partly inflated.
    all these things together & i'm nearly flat.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    60" should be enough...just be sure it's long enough and you have plenty of sag. You should have a minimum of your height + 2' between the knots/whipping...I like more than that.
    Yeah, I followed Ed Speer's book on length. Then I cut out about a foot when I untied the knots.

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    How do you make it wider? I've got a 60 inch wide hammock, but I've got linebacker shoulders and I always feel crunched. Maybe I don't have enough sag going.
    my 60" homemade hammock felt that way too so after trying alot of different things I found that if i tie the foot end a little higher than the head end and keep my feet closer to the end rather than being centered in the length of the hammock that puts my shoulders in the wider part of the hammock and I try to get as diagonal as possible. Its the most comfortable way i've found to lay in it although I think my feet end up a little higher so a stuff sack under the knees is still part of my setup.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    How about using your hiking poles as spreaders to give you a bit more room? BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast