$26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies

CCF Pad mod?

Is there a way to trim out a CCF pad so it wont "crimp" or fold when you lay in your hammock? Just did an "in apartment" test run with my gathered end hammock and it creates fold, etc when I lay in it. I do like having it as a layer of insulation, but I don't Like the way it lays (or lack of laying, as it may be).

Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    do you have a double layer hammock? and how are you getting into the hammock if the pad is not in between a double layer
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Here's a suggestion. Mark the folds with a Sharpie. Then put a 3-4" cut in the middle of the area. Retest - do you need deeper cuts, do you need to remove some CCF....
    I'd start with an inexpensive CCF and see how that works before I'd do surgery to a RidgeRest.
    Last edited by Roche; 07-22-2011 at 12:19.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Welcome to what I call "pad shock." I thought I was going to buy a nice hammock and throw my pad in there and it would work fine. Not. A pad really detracts from the "hammock experience" and the backside-to-fabric interface.

Roche's advice is on the spot. Cutting darts in the pad is about the only way to get it to behave.

Another way to use a pad inside the hammock is to use a conventional 20" wide CCF or self-inflating pad with a fabric sleeve called an SPE (Segemented Pad Extender) that has pockets on the sides to accept 5"x19" sections of CCF pad. That gives insulation for your arms and shoulders without getting the lumps that happen with a 24" wide pad. Some use two pads in a tee arrangement or create wings like the SPE.

I have a Hennessy and I was intrigued with their approach with the SuperShelter. I had a clone outer cover made that is a silnylon poncho with shock cords in the sides. That creates a weather shield and a cover for an open cell pad and space blanket. You can use another cheap hammock to make a double layer with a pad inside, or take a piece of light cloth, gather the ends and whip them and use that as an outer layer.

I made an under quilt by making an envelope out of a double space blanket and putting cheap polyester batting inside. I made it with my under cover in mind and it is fragile, but it keeps me warm. You could make the same with a DIY nylon sack or bivy and some line for the suspension and use that on the outside of any hammock.

Or bite the bullet and start saving for an under quilt. If you want comfortable, warm, light, compact, and a low "fiddle-factor," it is the best way to go.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    thanks.

@NewtonGT - no, it's a single layer, gathered end 'el cheapo (but I loves it like... a whole bunch of bunches! LoL).

I am a bit hesitant to cut this pad as it fits perfectly in my GI styled Jungle hammock. I may have to purchase a cheaper one and try doing the darts. I was wondering if a slight hourglass shape would behave better? or do you really need to dart it (and hope you always lay it in same position each time, lol)?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    I've always wondered how you would go slicing 1/2 to 3/4 through the pad like a mango.

Put the cut side down.
    Last edited by Browny; 07-23-2011 at 04:13. Reason: Stupid photo not linking
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Browny View Post
    I've always wondered how you would go slicing 1/2 to 3/4 through the pad like a mango.

Put the cut side down.
    Browny, I did just that on my pad before going to a UQ. On a 1/2" pad I set the utility knife to 1/4". I laid out a grid pattern 1 1/4" apart on the diagonal. This allows the pad to flex more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Browny, I did just that on my pad before going to a UQ. On a 1/2" pad I set the utility knife to 1/4". I laid out a grid pattern 1 1/4" apart on the diagonal. This allows the pad to flex more.
    WoW! That looks really cool! Did you find that was sufficient? What style of hammock did you use it in?
    Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Does this ruin the insulative property of the pad? I would do this in a heartbeat to my .5" pad if it works well for you.

I also have an old .25" pad that works great for me. I think it is because its only 20" wide, plus the thinness makes it quite pliable in the hammock. I don't really notice it bunching or creasing. Hopefully the wider and thicker pads will be ok this weekend. We'll see.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    Does this ruin the insulative property of the pad? I would do this in a heartbeat to my .5" pad if it works well for you.

I also have an old .25" pad that works great for me. I think it is because its only 20" wide, plus the thinness makes it quite pliable in the hammock. I don't really notice it bunching or creasing. Hopefully the wider and thicker pads will be ok this weekend. We'll see.
    Wally World and Big 5 carry 24" wide embossed CCF pads that look like a sheet of mosaic tiles and would accomplish the same.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast