Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Well it sounds like the Warbonnet Blackbird is the way to go. I got the same story over on the Backpacker forums as you Lori .

Now.. the rest of the package. I am looking at the Superfly tarp because of its size/price. Any comments? I have never had anything made from the Spinn material.

Line/strap or webbing suspension?

Other than insulation, is there anything else I need?

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shug has just completed a hammock camping how to series of nine or ten short videos. You can find them here or just go to Youtube and look up Shug Emery. His videos are very entertaining and packed with essential information for anyone new to this type of camping. He is a real gem.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    line+strap is lighter, but webbing is all in one piece.

Just got my first spinn tarp recently, (from mac cat) and it's beautiful. VERY lightweight, but of course a bit pricier. It's similar to silnylon, but lighter.

Insulation: important to get right for comfort. Underquilts are lovely, but arguably heavier. (and more expensive.) There is an art to using a sleeping bag in a hammock, but it is doable. (you still need something underneath you because you'll compress the sleeping bag underneath you, and the cold air likes to steal away your warmth.) A regular CCF (closed cell foam) pad is a good start, but doesn't work so well in the curvy embracing hammock- you need something on your sides. (like a speer spe (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm) or an underquilt, or many other options.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I know I am bringing an old thread back from the dead here, but I am finally going to order a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. I've put it off as I've lost track of backpacking with my work the past year. Time for some backpacking again - gotta get back to the woods.

They are out of the Superfly tarps. Any other suggestions?

I think I am going to order the adjustable webbing suspension. Right now I am not going to get any bottom insulation, I am going to try my sleeping pad first.

I have a trek planned for the weekend after next (19/20 March), maybe even this sat/sun. I probably wont get everything by this weekend but hopefully by next weekend.

EDIT - I see the big mamajamba is the same size as the superfly. I just ordered one of the silnylon versions. I got the 1oz double layer BB with adjustable webbing suspension. Can't wait to try it out!
    Last edited by KC8QVO; 03-07-2011 at 23:14.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    I have a trek planned for the weekend after next (19/20 March), maybe even this sat/sun. I probably wont get everything by this weekend but hopefully by next weekend.
    I don't know what Brandon at Warbonnet's lead times are right now, but since he's a small, custom operation and his products are very popular, your timeline might be a little too optimistic. The gear is worth the wait, though.

You might get a better idea of current wait times in the Warbonnet-specific forum here.

ChrisChris

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Ordered my 1.7 Double Layer which was in stock on March 2nd, it shipped yesterday according to the notifier I was sent. So it took about 5 days to get shipped, plus tack on approximate ship time to your location and that should give you an approximate I hope

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You will like it for sure.
    Here is a video of my Big Mamajamba Tarp...... if you need a gear fix!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The next shipment looks like it will be in a week. Thats OK.

I am tempted to throw in a door kit for the big mamajamba. I've used a tarp as a fly on an A-style tent before and had decent luck - but the wind wasn't blowing either. With any wind that would be a disaster of a night with rain. I would assume the hammock would be the same way, unless the bottom of the hammock is waterproof (or at least repellent enough for water to roll off?)

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    The next shipment looks like it will be in a week. Thats OK.

I am tempted to throw in a door kit for the big mamajamba. I've used a tarp as a fly on an A-style tent before and had decent luck - but the wind wasn't blowing either. With any wind that would be a disaster of a night with rain. I would assume the hammock would be the same way, unless the bottom of the hammock is waterproof (or at least repellent enough for water to roll off?)
    I'm no expert (I have not done a hang with a tarp yet), but a tarp with doors is not typically necessary for 3 seasons. There are people who pitch tarps that are quite small, but they require careful placement consideration, adjustment, and experience to get appropriate coverage. Check out this picture for a simple run-down of tarp sizes.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for the pictures. That is a decent run down of the different styles.

I went ahead and ordered the door kit too, backordered so I did it as a separate order to get my hammock and tarp when the next shipment comes.

I see the superfly tarp includes doors. The big mamajamba with the door kit will give me more options, and its only an extra half ounce if I add the door kit over the superfly, but 7.5 oz lighter if I leave the door kit at home.

The more I look in to all of this the more complicated it gets. I am sure I'll add some kind of bottom insulation too at some point. For now I think I'll use my sleeping bags for top insulation. I'll go through this season with my pad for bottom insulation. By the time I try that out it will be warm enough to not need any real insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast