Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Finding the Key Ingredient in Supports

I am having trouble finding a local store in my area that has something along the line of a cinch buckle or rings to be used in a support system for my hammock.

There has to be something out there locally that can hold enough weight. Not all the weight would be on the ring or cinch buckle, but most would be on the webbing around the tree, right?

The closest I've found was this, but just a tad spendy:
    http://www.rei.com/product/745608?vcat=REI_SEARCH

I know I know, you can purchase these everywhere online. My camping trips are irregular like my schedule so I don't want to buy something then go on a 2 day trip in the snow without them... Don't bother to show me websites cause I know those ones thanks. I just need something local gosh darn it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    REI used to sell the SMC descending rings. It looks like they've perhaps stopped carrying them. (Maybe if you look in the store they might still have some?). I'm assuming you have a local REI store?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post
    I know I know, you can purchase these everywhere online. My camping trips are irregular like my schedule so I don't want to buy something then go on a 2 day trip in the snow without them... Don't bother to show me websites cause I know those ones thanks. I just need something local gosh darn it.
    So, you just wanted to complain? And not just complain, but complain online...where the items you seek are actually available..instead of complaining locally, where they aren't?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    The key ingredient in supports are the cinch buckles from on rope1 IMO. Buy them and wait.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post
    I am having trouble finding a local store in my area that has something along the line of a cinch buckle or rings to be used in a support system for my hammock.

There has to be something out there locally that can hold enough weight. Not all the weight would be on the ring or cinch buckle, but most would be on the webbing around the tree, right?

The closest I've found was this, but just a tad spendy:
    http://www.rei.com/product/745608?vcat=REI_SEARCH

The "S" in SMC descending rings stands for Seattle in whose general metro area you appear to live. Suggest you look up SMC's phone number, and ask them if they distribute those rings to any retailers in the Seattle-Tacoma.

From their website which evidently you can find yourself

SMC Contact Information

Address
    6930 Salashan Parkway
    Ferndale, WA 98248 USA

Phone
    Toll Free: 1 800 426-6251
    Tel: 360 366-5534
    Call between 7:30am and 4:00pm PST.

Fax
    360 366-5723

[email protected]

Thanks guys. Camping opportunities don't come along very much are when they do I don't get much notice. I'm still learning so a lot of times I have researched and learned of a useful piece of gear, then ordered it online or began to look around as to where to find it and then the next day I get invited to go up in the mountains. Out of my control I guess.

I did not know what SMC stood for. Although, Seattle is real bother to drive to and around in, but if that's my only option compared to online I guess that's that...

That's if they're in seattle cause I'm not driving to ferndale ah ha ha no no no.

I am complained about something local online. That's oddly hilarious now that I think about it.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    I think I want a Florida room................
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The key ingredient in supports are the cinch buckles from on rope1 IMO. Buy them and wait.
    Great site, didn't know about that one. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I can't believe you can't find a set of welded steel rings at the hardware store. Are you actually going to a real hardware store (small-local) or are you going to a Lowes/Home Depot? If it's the latter, they are there you may just not be looking in the right place. I've bought 2 sets from Home Depot.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I can't believe you can't find a set of welded steel rings at the hardware store. Are you actually going to a real hardware store (small-local) or are you going to a Lowes/Home Depot? If it's the latter, they are there you may just not be looking in the right place. I've bought 2 sets from Home Depot.
    The welded rings I've seen at Lowes are rated to 200 lbs. Will they hold? Yeah, probably, under normal conditions.

But I snapped a strand of 1200 lbs rated Spyerline (I think that's the rating...maybe 14000...its the 2.8mm version) running from my suspension ring to the tree once, when I wasn't paying attention to sin theta in the stress-on-line equation W/(2 sin theta). Hard to know what would have happened if a weaker ring had been in place. Abnormal condition. I learned to pay attention to trigonometry, and to either at least double up the cord on that stretch of suspension, or use heavier suspension line.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast