Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Space blanket under hammock?

This might be old news.... Anyone ever try sewing or using double-sided tape to attach a space blanket(emergency thermal blanket) underneath their hammock?

Not that specific method, but yes. I'm a big fan of space blankets and keeping it out side of the hammock seems to deal well with any condensation issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    This might be old news.... Anyone ever try sewing or using double-sided tape to attach a space blanket(emergency thermal blanket) underneath their hammock?
    IIRC some here have used a space blanket with the Hennesy supershelter with good results.
    Last edited by Take-a-knee; 03-09-2008 at 23:09. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have used one inside my home made pea pod and inside my underquilt a time or 2. Works pretty good.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    I am very interested in this idea. It seems like if this would work it would save someone a lot of time (and money) by not having to make an underquilt. I realize that this won't be as warm, but something to make it a little warmer for cool nights would be really nice. If anyone has tried it, I'm with Splat, let me know. If no one has, lets get some opinions about if this will work.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here a couple of threads about space blankets. You will find opinions very mixed. I carry one in my first aid kit, but I have never opened the package on it. I think if I were going to use the blanket it would be inside the hammock wrapped arond my body.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=space+blanket
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=space+blanket

I also found some stuff called Insu-bright. It a combination of polyester and perforated Mylar. It's breathable. You can get details on that here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=insul-bright
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I also found some stuff called Insu-bright. It a combination of polyester and perforated Mylar. It's breathable.
    I have an insul-bright underquilt and overquilt I am going to try when the weather warms a little. Made it last fall. There is a detectable difference when it is on the hammock. Also going to try it between the layers of my zHammock. The biggest problem I have with insul-bright is it is quite easy to tear without incasing in nylon shell...and a little expensive at about $5/6 a yard. (45" wide) I doesn't stuff well either, won't compress. I roll mine up. Bottom line, IMO, if you are going to try an insul-bright quilt might as well buy climashield and make a more conventional quilt.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Images
    Your question is about attaching the SB to the hammock. I don't have a good answer for that...But, I'm working on it. Tape does't work; the SB isn't durable enough to be permanent so I don't want to punch too many needle holes in my hammock. I have used the light-weight SB in the Hennessey SS, and I am convinced that it was effective, especially for the weight. However, the noise and fragile nature of the light weight SB make long term use a little suspect. I'm fiddling with one of the heavier SB now to see if I can cut it to shape and/or just get it to work without all the noise and be a little easier to get it back into place after entering the bottom entry of the HH. Last fall I e-mailed Hennessey and asked them to comment on their recommendation of using a SB with the under-cover. She wrote back that Tom Hennessey would call me, but he never did. So....that's a lot of verbage that essentially says I still have the same questions that you do, even after about 6 mos of trying to find the answer. But, I havn't given up yet. Additionally, it may be that condensation issues make all this effort meaningless anyway. But Hennessey specifically recommends, no, instructs, the user to put a SB between the OCF pad and the hammock. They've got a pretty good reputation to blow it on this.
    Last edited by DougTheElder; 03-10-2008 at 13:21.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    Alright, this is a long shot, but I just had an idea. What if you sew a SB in between two peices of breathable nylon? This would help keep abrasion off of the SB, but you would also get the heat retention because the SB would still reflect the heat. Then you could sew the nylon to the hammock and only put one set of holes in the SB. Then, when the SB breaks down, you have a double layer hammock. Any thoughts about why this won't work....speak now! Thanks guys.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    Alright, this is a long shot, but I just had an idea. What if you sew a SB in between two peices of breathable nylon? This would help keep abrasion off of the SB, but you would also get the heat retention because the SB would still reflect the heat. Then you could sew the nylon to the hammock and only put one set of holes in the SB. Then, when the SB breaks down, you have a double layer hammock. Any thoughts about why this won't work....speak now! Thanks guys.
    On warm nights you'll lie in a puddle of sweat. You could make a Z-hammock and add or remove the space blanket as needed. I'm thinking maybe a hybrid HC4U clone/Z-hammock out of 1.1 ripstop might be the ultimate DIY hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast