Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Speaking of old maps... you are welcome to mine for PA but I gotta tell you they are ancient. PM me if you are interested anyway.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Alright, I'll add on to this, but not to start any form of debate.

This is true. Unless you plan on blue blazing like I do, maps are not necessary. If your heart isn't set on buying them, I would reconsider then. A lot of people try to say they are for safety, but in that case the ATC maps are a joke. Many of them only show a narrow corridor, and cut off anything just a couple miles off the trail. That is why I bought National Geo maps for my side trips. Now that the App pages and Bob MacCaw's book have the elevation profile, one more selling point for the maps is gone. Just something else to consider.
    Elevation profile is about 90% of what I use/used maps for. I usually photcopy the elevation profile and put it in my pocket, whereas the map is in my pack. I don't care if I am going right or left. I only care if I am going up and down. And how many ups and downs until I get to the to my nightly destination. The maps are more for at night when planning the next day. I don't think I would be satisfied with the profiles on app pages though.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Elevation profile is about 90% of what I use/used maps for. I usually photcopy the elevation profile and put it in my pocket, whereas the map is in my pack. I don't care if I am going right or left. I only care if I am going up and down. And how many ups and downs until I get to the to my nightly destination. The maps are more for at night when planning the next day. I don't think I would be satisfied with the profiles on app pages though.
    Yeah, they aren't too detailed. Really they are good for giving you an idea of what's ahead. How many ups in the day, and a general idea of how steep they are. Also if the shelter is on this side or the other side of the mountain. If you look close enough you can also sometimes see false summits, and get a good idea of when you are nearing the top or bottom of a climb. Someone this year just carrie a guidebook, and pages with all of the profiles form the maps printed on them. They found it on some website. Same thing you did pretty much, only they didn't even carry the maps.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Someone this year just carrie a guidebook, and pages with all of the profiles form the maps printed on them. They found it on some website.
    I don't know if these are the same ones, but there is some really great trail profile and map info here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I don't know if these are the same ones, but there is some really great trail profile and map info here.
    They are great AS, thanks for posting that.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Images
    That's it. Mr. Parkay's website. Thanks, I couldn't remember Parkay's name.

Hammock
    ENO, ABES
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Camo
    Insulation
    DIY FL Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    PM on jetboil and coffee press sent... Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Thank You AS

I do have the AT thruhikers companion for 2009.

As Dutch AKA "Wingman" had said he uses it for elevation changes and how to plan miles out...this is what I'm interested in the maps for, I think the trail profile maps will be able to get that job done. As far as the blue blazes, I think I would be too tempted to take shortcuts (I did it in Maine ), so I better stay away from those.

Thanks to everyone for replying, now I can stash the 200 bucks into my "oh crap I think I broke my ankle and don't have insurance fund" .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    As far as the blue blazes, I think I would be too tempted to take shortcuts (I did it in Maine ), so I better stay away from those.

Uh.. what else is a blue blaze for? Why go up that mountain just to go back down it and still see nothing, when you can go on a blue blaze and get picked up by a car load of girls in the middle of the night. Ahhh, thems was good times.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Someone once said to me "Purists are just people without maps" Sara I do have many of the maps and you can borrow what I have. It is just a very incomplete set since I would often give them to southbounders. I bet I have half of them.

Wingman the "purist"
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12