WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Fronkey Inspired Hammock Bugnet with Omni-Tape Side Mod

Made some tweaks to the Fronkey Inspired Bugnet.

Added Omni-Tape down one entire side of the hammock.

This fits a hammock with a 101' ridgeline.

Weight - 8.25 oz which is a .65 oz increase over the regular sewn side Fronkey inspired bugnet.

However, I really like the ability to fully remove the bugnet easily (without having to remove any quilts, etc. from the hammock as you do with the regular sewn side Fronkey inspired bugnet) and put it back just as easily. This makes putting a UQ on much easier than with the other design.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Very nice. Another advantage of this appraoch might be leaving ample material on the head end, allowing you to lift and spreading the net for more room on that end. The omni tape would allow sealing around the suspension at any point along its line. The net could be suspended as high as the tarp ridge line by a mitten hook and widened by tie-outs at body level.

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Hey, I did basically the same thing, but instead used a zipper. I'm not concerned with weight, so I have no idea what mine weighs, but the usability is a huge plus.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    As I've thought about it ... there is no need for a Fronkey hole in the bottom with shock cord closure. The Velcro closure at the head allows sliding the net out of the way. For more room at the head cut the foot end bug net at 45 degrees and use those two pieces to create a diamond shaped box at the head end with Velcro connecting the two pieces right down the middle to seal off at the suspension while the top of the diamond connects to the tarp ridge line by mitten hook (and shock cord, depending on the distance, I suppose). For the hole in the bottom sew in a panel of lighter and cheaper cloth to seal up the bug-free space and to install insulation if needed. If it was a stretchy material it would keep things taut. Guy out the diamond to the sides and even to the ground with shock cord, adjusting with toggles on the inside. One more guy line to the tarp ridge line half-way to the feet would be nice.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
    Hey, I did basically the same thing, but instead used a zipper. I'm not concerned with weight, so I have no idea what mine weighs, but the usability is a huge plus.
    If I was a bit more confident, I would try sewing a zipper...maybe some day

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    As I've thought about it ... there is no need for a Fronkey hole in the bottom with shock cord closure. The Velcro closure at the head allows sliding the net out of the way. For more room at the head cut the foot end bug net at 45 degrees and use those two pieces to create a diamond shaped box at the head end with Velcro connecting the two pieces right down the middle to seal off at the suspension while the top of the diamond connects to the tarp ridge line by mitten hook (and shock cord, depending on the distance, I suppose). For the hole in the bottom sew in a panel of lighter and cheaper cloth to seal up the bug-free space and to install insulation if needed. If it was a stretchy material it would keep things taut. Guy out the diamond to the sides and even to the ground with shock cord, adjusting with toggles on the inside. One more guy line to the tarp ridge line half-way to the feet would be nice.
    I don't prefer the types of bugnets that you have to open and close at one end as their only opening.

If the opening is at the head end, you have to stretch up and squirm to close the end. If the opening is at the foot end, you have to sit up, reach down, close the end.

I leave my water bottle and other somewhat necessary items on the ground below my hammock. With the bottom opening, you can simply reach out the bottom to retrieve it and the netting seals up behind you.

I also really like being able to swing my legs out, put my shoes on, and get up; leaving my hammock still encased in netting.

I love having the best of both worlds, the bottom opening for easy entrance and exit and the side opening for being able to install your UQ/fiddle with things in the hammock without being forced to struggle through the bottom hole to do so.

Although having ONLY the full side opening would work, it's not for me - different strokes for different folks, HYOH, etc.

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    If I was a bit more confident, I would try sewing a zipper...maybe some day
    It was a bit intimidating since it was my first zipper, but found that the wife's thread injector has a zipper foot which really helps with keeping the zipper and fabric aligned as well as not breaking the needle by accidentally trying to sew zipper teeth.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks awesome dude! I love all the mods everyone on HF has come up with to fit the needs of the user and make the design better. Great job!

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    You make an excellent point, Tender. Why not have the best of both worlds? So ... what if one zippered the Fronkey hole/stretchy panel entrance? Then the system would maintain the structural advantages of cloth over shock cord. I suppose it would depend on how stretchy was the cloth. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    You make an excellent point, Tender. Why not have the best of both worlds? So ... what if one zippered the Fronkey hole/stretchy panel entrance? Then the system would maintain the structural advantages of cloth over shock cord. I suppose it would depend on how stretchy was the cloth. Any suggestions?
    Well, when you throw a zipper in there it's not really the same bug net anymore, ya know? The thing I liked about the shock cord bottom was the easy entry and the ability to pick up/leave stuff on the ground with ease.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Well, when you throw a zipper in there it's not really the same bug net anymore, ya know? The thing I liked about the shock cord bottom was the easy entry and the ability to pick up/leave stuff on the ground with ease.

Fronkey
    Point taken. It would have to be a heck of a zipper, which defeats the purpose, huh?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast