Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images

Anchor points for Amsteel Supported Hammock Stand

I'm going to build the Amsteel Hammock Stand located here: Amsteel Supported Hammock Stand with my professional quality graphic below:

I'm thinking about how I'm going to anchor my pipe between the base 2x6's. I want the pipes to be free to rotate. I'm thinking of using this as an anchor:

I'd put a carriage bolt through one 2x6, through the hole in the above End Cap and then through the other 2x6. I think the weight and force of the system will keep the post in the End Cap and not allow it to come out. My only question is if this will take the stress. I'd hate to be in the hammock and this crack or worse.

What think ye?

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Should work

Thew fitting is going to be under compression. As with any pipe fitting for fencing, the larger the fitting the more beef it will have. One inch would be minimum IMO.

Jim

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    I was thinking of using 1 1/2 inch fence pipe for the posts and the corresponding End Caps. I haven't gone to the Fence Post Store to get my hands on a fence post to see if I think it will take the stress. If I think it's too weak then naturally the thought of using the End Cap is out the window.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    That looks just like the cast aluminum end caps for chain-link fence that I used in my tensegrity. I got mine from Lowes. They're doing fine in my application, but the stresses may be slightly different in yours. My guess is that they would work. Test carefully. Are you using the fence top rails sold to go with them, with the same type of fitting on the other ends?

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    That looks just like the cast aluminum end caps for chain-link fence that I used in my tensegrity. I got mine from Lowes. They're doing fine in my application, but the stresses may be slightly different in yours. My guess is that they would work. Test carefully. Are you using the fence top rails sold to go with them, with the same type of fitting on the other ends?
    I'm going to try and use the actual posts that go in the ground rather than the top rails. I think the top rails have too much flex in them. The stresses on my application are different than yours, as you mentioned, and my guess is that it would bend very easily. However when I get to Lowes I'm going to stare at them and see if I think differently. Naturally if I can't find an end cap like this that will fit on a post I'll have to rethink my options.

For the other end I'll probably use a post end cap or have my dad weld on a cap just to get rid of the edges. I may even taper the end and put an eye there to hold the line going from the end to my base and from the end over to the other end. Not sure yet.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Just hammer the pipe flat (evenly, so that it doesn't kink badly) and drill a hole in the middle and put your carriage bolt in that.
    How are you planning on keeping the stand from flopping over on its side?

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    Just hammer the pipe flat (evenly, so that it doesn't kink badly) and drill a hole in the middle and put your carriage bolt in that.
    How are you planning on keeping the stand from flopping over on its side?

Acer
    I could do that, but then I wouldn't be able to use my idea! Seriously that is a good idea as well.

To stabilize the stand I'll put two 2x4's perpendicular to the base for "feet".

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    A trip to our local store confirmed some fears that these side rail caps don't commonly come in a size large enough to hold the size pipe I'd need for the support arms.

Ah well.... for every 10 crappy ideas I usually have 1 that works out.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    A trip to our local store confirmed some fears that these side rail caps don't commonly come in a size large enough to hold the size pipe I'd need for the support arms.

Ah well.... for every 10 crappy ideas I usually have 1 that works out.
    Call it a win. The ones I've seen are made out of cheap pot metal, and not something I'd want to use as the lynchpin on a hammock stand.

WV sez aluminum...he may be right...dunno how to confirm that, but they're non-magnetic, for sure.

You might find some square steel tubing that could be used for ends..drill that, and you'd have something. Mic your poles...I may have something in the scrap pile that will fit.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Wonder,
    Just want to let you know of another supply of metal in all shapes and sizes in Dayton. First Street Recyclers. Dump of a place (consider the neighborhood), but great couple of guys and very helpful and knowledgeable of all things metal. They will cut to length.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast