Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi David,
    Just because you can't suck air thru it doesn't mean water vapor can't pass thru, does it?
    DWR nylon is considered breathable but I'll bet it would fail your vacuum cleaner test.
    Just from your picture it sure looks breathable.
    I see many holes in the silver thermal reflective side and the blue side just looks like a woven synthetic cloth.
    DWR nylon didn't fail the vacuum test, but you may be right. From Wikipedia:
    Humid air is less dense than dry air because a molecule of water (M ≈ 18 u ) is less massive than either a molecule of nitrogen (M ≈ 28) or a molecule of oxygen (M ≈ 32). About 78% of the molecules in dry air are nitrogen (N2). Another 21% of the molecules in dry air are oxygen (O2). The final 1% of dry air is a mixture of other gases.
    What looks like holes are actually dimples. I guess I need to hold some of this stuff over the spout of a tea kettle to see if the steam (water vapor) passes through it and condenses on something cool held in its likely path.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    OutandBack,
    Nope, not. I've got an overheated vacuum cleaner to prove it. Still looks a very useful fabric, though. I'm looking forward to seeing your stove vestibule.
    That's interesting because, I have one here I've been generally abusing for about 2 weeks that has softened up alot and I swear I can feel my breath through it. That is of course when I try to seal it up around my mouth and breath. But, I have not encountered any condensation problems with it, yet! I'm sure the potential is there however, when conditions are right.

Quote Originally Posted by boothill
    so if a person was to use a blanket in conjunction with an UQ to try and gain a few degrees

would a person want to put it between the hammock bottom and on top of the UQ or put it on the outside of the UQ

which would be more effective and not cause condensation

this stuff can be kinda confusing some times.......

thanks

boot
    I've mentioned this before in the group buy thread but it stand mentioning again. I'll bring in the link from that thread when I'm not on my phone.

In construction these reflective barriers are placed "outside" the building's insulation. Since that insulation is still a thermal mass the reflective barrier allows it to hold one it's heat much longer.

I predict that we will find a combination of "outside" the UQ & loose fitted hang, lightly vented will give use an ideal solution.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I predict that we will find a combination of "outside" the UQ & loose fitted hang will give use an ideal solution.
    That's my thinking . . . For now.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Bad news: Thermoflect failed the tea kettle test. No condensation on the piece of cold slate held 1/2" above the fabric. I poked a small hole in the fabric and re-tested: lots of condensation.

For comparison, I tested a piece of 1.9 oz DWR ripstop, and there was condensation on the cold slate. This fabric had passed the vacuum cleaner test, though it took longer (~15 seconds) to blow up the balloon than the lighter ripstop samples.

While I was cutting pieces off the edge, I did a flammability test with the Thermoflect. Held in the flame of a propane torch, it shriveled quickly, but didn't burst into flame. Removed from the propane flame, it didn't show any signs of burning further.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    so if a person was to use a blanket in conjunction with an UQ to try and gain a few degrees

would a person want to put it between the hammock bottom and on top of the UQ or put it on the outside of the UQ

which would be more effective and not cause condensation

boot
    Everyone sleeping on a bed can feel that what you sleep on is a potentially good or lousy evaporative pad. Just because there's plastic underneath -- somewhere --doesn't mean you will be uncomfortable. Not if what is directly underneath has the capacity -- like a snyth filled and plastic backed diaper -- to wick and hold moisture away from your skin, or the behavior of our ordinary bedding to distribute it quickly and so broadly so it evaporates.

ASQTM has procedures that suggest ones you might try yourself. Different ones for water as vapor than for water as liquid.

-----------

You would try this blanket directly under the hammock first or under and covering a synth-filled UQ. You don't want to trap moisture in down which you would then have to dry out.

While there are folks here with scales accurate to the gram, I don't recall seeing reports from anyone using a hammock at home where they've weighed them repeatedly before and after sleep to estimate moisture trapped and not evaporated. Too bad this natural science isn't being logged here. I may get so motivated.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-25-2012 at 21:07.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Love all of your tests WV and look forward to what everyone comes up with on these.

Images
    DWR nylon didn't fail the vacuum test, but you may be right. From Wikipedia:
    What looks like holes are actually dimples. I guess I need to hold some of this stuff over the spout of a tea kettle to see if the steam (water vapor) passes through it and condenses on something cool held in its likely path.
    Bad news: Thermoflect failed the tea kettle test. No condensation on the piece of cold slate held 1/2" above the fabric. I poked a small hole in the fabric and re-tested: lots of condensation.

For comparison, I tested a piece of 1.9 oz DWR ripstop, and there was condensation on the cold slate. This fabric had passed the vacuum cleaner test, though it took longer (~15 seconds) to blow up the balloon than the lighter ripstop samples.

While I was cutting pieces off the edge, I did a flammability test with the Thermoflect. Held in the flame of a propane torch, it shriveled quickly, but didn't burst into flame. Removed from the propane flame, it didn't show any signs of burning further.
    Dimples not holes, bummer. Enjoying your test reports David.

When I has a HH super shelter and did not put a space blanket as my first layer. (Me, Hammock, Space Blanket, syn UQ, SS syl-nylon under cover)

I had a lot of condensation on the surface of the SS syl-nylon the following morning. Enough I used a paper towel to mop the moisture up.

I think a good, in the hammock, test for this material would be to use this material between the hammock and UQ, silver side up.
    I'd wear a 100% cotton tee shirt.
    If the moisture can't get thru this material it will hold in the Tee shirt.

Darn-it, My hammock is hanging on my porch. Wish I had one of these to help you guys test.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    STATIC ELECTRICTY

I put this on the outside of my quilt which is on my hammock. I'm wearing fleece, slipping around inside of BLackbird, getting things adjusted. Touch this stuff . . . ZAP! I can now recharge my IPad2 out in the field.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    STATIC ELECTRICTY

I put this on the outside of my quilt which is on my hammock. I'm wearing fleece, slipping around inside of BLackbird, getting things adjusted. Touch this stuff . . . ZAP! I can now recharge my IPad2 out in the field.
    Dang.

I love dual use technology.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    STATIC ELECTRICTY

What a SHOCKING find!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast