Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If properly pitched a diamond tarp is fully adequate for three season hammock protection. It only requires 2 stakes/tie off points. A lot of gram weenies like the diamond for weight savings. The downside is that it does not give working protection. In other words... if you want to cook under it you may be hard pressed to do so. Further it offers no winter closing potential. It is a fine configuration if you are willing to live with its limitations. Fair weather camper.... yeah it would work. But make sure you pitch it numerous times in various situations before you take it out into the woods. You want to be confident with yout equipment, especially if it has a learning curve and small diamond tarps definitely do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

i happen to have a few heavy work tarps and one was an 11x12 i believe. i set it up as a rectangle and its huge!! i dont think i need that much room for summer camping! i do plan on being out in the rain, but not the winter or colder months, so im starting to lean towards a diamond.. or at least a smaller rectangle.

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

Diamond's ain't so bad

I've been hammocking for a few years and have always pitched in a diamond. First with those blue tarps and more recently using campmor's green nylon tarps. My primary now is a 10' square (too big honestly) and my girlfriend is using a 8 or a 9 (much better size). I like the diamond because it's only a single tieout per side, it is easy to throw one side over the top and be completely open, you can pitch pretty taunt and i've never had a problem with weather... then again, i only 3 season camp in my hammock (thus far).

So... i would suggest a least trying the diamond as you can use a normal square tarp that has 100s of other uses even if it doesn't end up being your hammock tarp.

That being said.. i think I'm buying hte MacCat Std this weekend...

diamond or rectangle guys? diamond or rectangle...

Hammock
    BB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by convertee View Post
    Square.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    seems to me that's your choice. makes no never mind to me what you do...

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

well thanks guys. i do appreciate that you got me this far because i had no clue before this thread. its still up in the air as to a 12x10 rectangle or a 9x9 se like a diamond, but i guess ill keep searching until i decided its time to make the move purchase! any more opinions are still welcome as always.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    seems to me that's your choice. makes no never mind to me what you do...
    Hey... That could have come across as rather terse and I didn't mean it like that. Seems to me the advantages of each have been laid out rather well. It's really one of those personal preference things where others can give you guidance but it's fundamentally your call at the end.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    A rectangular is probably more versatile. It can be pitched as an asymmetric diamond for a more open view but can also be reconfigured numerous ways for foul weather.

If you're on a budget, why not try a DIY tarp project? You can make yourself several tarp styles on the cheap, and make 'em fit your needs.

When I started out, I went overkill and had a large tarp. That was a 12x12 and way more than needed. I've since downsized to a 9x9 which has worked with every hammock I've tried. It can pitch as a diamond, or lean to and generally offers you whatever protection you need. For heavy downpours you have multiple pitch options that will keep you dry. In fair weather, you can set it up with a porch like cover, allowing you to look out easily and experience your surroundings. People can get by with smaller, but I find the 9x9 offers a very wide range of capabilities. I'm happy with it as my standard tarp for just about all outings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast