Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    You're thinking backwards. The 550 # rated Spectra costs 90 cents, the 725# Spectra costs $1, and the 1000# Spectra costs 90 cents. But the 1500# spectra only costs 35 cents. Go figure.
    Oh...yeah looks like I misread your post. Huh. Kinda weird.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Update on the Jump Shack. They charged me $0.35/ft and told me that I must have been confused. I told them there was no confusion since the person on the phone even told me the charge was $10.50 for the 30yds I ordered. We will see if they actually reimburse me.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Just got back from a campout on the AT. Did the AT/Benton Mackaye loop trail. 5.8 mile trail that starts at the Springer Mtn. parking lot. Great weather. Forgot thermometer. Probably around mid 20's. Tiny snow flakes.
    I field tested the carabiner/buckle support system on both my Hyperlight and my UL Backpacker my nephew was using. Worked like a charm. Smooth and simple adjustment and we were good to go.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Update on the Jump Shack. They charged me $0.35/ft and told me that I must have been confused. I told them there was no confusion since the person on the phone even told me the charge was $10.50 for the 30yds I ordered. We will see if they actually reimburse me.
    Well, 35 cents/ft does make more sense and is more inline with the other prices. But...it is not what they have listed on their website.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Well, 35 cents/ft does make more sense and is more inline with the other prices. But...it is not what they have listed on their website.
    Yes, and I told them they owe me $20.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Or at least a refund, including shipping.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Just got back from a campout on the AT. Did the AT/Benton Mackaye loop trail. 5.8 mile trail that starts at the Springer Mtn. parking lot. Great weather. Forgot thermometer. Probably around mid 20's. Tiny snow flakes.
    I field tested the carabiner/buckle support system on both my Hyperlight and my UL Backpacker my nephew was using. Worked like a charm. Smooth and simple adjustment and we were good to go.
    sounds like a good trip.
    i was telling some on the hammockcamping yahoo group about this thread & the buckle system.
    it's the best i've used yet.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    **** it! I want my stuff so I can finish my HH style hammock with ring suspension. I have the hammock body completed (the prototype) and all I am waiting on are my rings and my spectra. I ordered the rings over a week ago from the amazon retailer listed in this thread, and the spectra I ordered Wednesday (I am too cheap to just order what was listed here).

I guess I will just start on my prototype Poncho BlackCat.

I love $1/yd material! Otherwise I guess I wouldn't have prototypes and would have to just hope things work out.
    Last edited by lvleph; 03-05-2007 at 08:07.

It may not be true, but I like to think I "invented" the current incarnation of the double-ring suspension system. I have lots of photos posted at groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/. I mention this because I wanted to share some additional thoughts.

First, it's possible to create a webbing "girdle" around the tree by passing the bitter end of the webbing through the loop or biner at the tree, running it around the three, passing it through the loop again, then running it THE OTHER WAY back around the tree, and so on. The final pass (when you run out of slack) goes straight through the loop and down to the hammock.

Second, I found that you can put one ring at the hammock, then slip an aluminum rod (or sturdy twig) under the webbing and over the second ring to create a sort of ladder buckle. This works well for people who experience problems with the two courses of webbing not aligning well, or with slippage.

Finally, I actually found a hefty ladder buckle that works on 1-inch webbing. That's right, all you need to adjust the hammock is a simple ladder buckle. It just has to be thick enough to avoid deforming under load.

It's available at McMaster-Carr. (Fabulous site, if you've got a spare half-hour to browse.) Go here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ then search for ladder buckles. I believe the one I got is item 17 on page 1469.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by dchinell View Post
    It may not be true, but I like to think I "invented" the current incarnation of the double-ring suspension system. I have lots of photos posted at groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/. I mention this because I wanted to share some additional thoughts.

First, it's possible to create a webbing "girdle" around the tree by passing the bitter end of the webbing through the loop or biner at the tree, running it around the three, passing it through the loop again, then running it THE OTHER WAY back around the tree, and so on. The final pass (when you run out of slack) goes straight through the loop and down to the hammock.

Second, I found that you can put one ring at the hammock, then slip an aluminum rod (or sturdy twig) under the webbing and over the second ring to create a sort of ladder buckle. This works well for people who experience problems with the two courses of webbing not aligning well, or with slippage.

Finally, I actually found a hefty ladder buckle that works on 1-inch webbing. That's right, all you need to adjust the hammock is a simple ladder buckle. It just has to be thick enough to avoid deforming under load.

It's available at McMaster-Carr. (Fabulous site, if you've got a spare half-hour to browse.) Go here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ then search for ladder buckles. I believe the one I got is item 17 on page 1469.

Bear
    Which photo album is it. I can't find it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 96 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast