Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    one end around a wide tree, that sounds like your trying to make a bridge hammock, with the spreader bar being the tree itself. it would be better to just make a bridge, a "poll-less" bridge (the spreader element being tieouts), or just a HH style.
    but tey, it would at least be fun
    Take a 6' x 10' rectangular piece of material. Attach a strap to each corner. That's the hammock I'm talking about.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    The crazy creek works similiarly to what you are describing. It has a strap from each corner. Each ends two straps go around the tree and the ends "scrunch up" the fabric the strap goes through. I tried tying my head end straps independantly using two tree to see what it would be like. It seemed to take out some of the flex of fabric and wasnt as comfortable as I thought. Made the hammock more flat than I would prefer and ended up changing it back in order to get the comfy curve for the back. Granted it is not designed to be spread out like that, but even with a stick with notches to assist in the spread at that end of the hammock, I didnt like the "lay of the hammock.

i know what you want to work, but i am doubting its physics. if the 6' is the width, and it spreads around a 2' tree (for simplicities sake each side as a 2' tree), then it would just sag in the middle like a bridge. but there would be no "end caps", making it easier to enter, but also to drop items out of. and if you were to find the ideal space, having 4 trees, with enough slack to make it comfortable, there would be a weird depression in the middle. but still mostly a bridge hammock, or one of those backyars net hammocks with the wood beams.

but all that is just the way i see it, nothing gives better results then making it!

Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    i know what you want to work, but i am doubting its physics. if the 6' is the width, and it spreads around a 2' tree (for simplicities sake each side as a 2' tree), then it would just sag in the middle like a bridge. but there would be no "end caps", making it easier to enter, but also to drop items out of. and if you were to find the ideal space, having 4 trees, with enough slack to make it comfortable, there would be a weird depression in the middle. but still mostly a bridge hammock, or one of those backyars net hammocks with the wood beams.

but all that is just the way i see it, nothing gives better results then making it!
    I'm not very good at explaining this. Let me try again.

Take a 6' x 10' rectangular piece of material. Attach a strap to each corner. Hang it loose, exactly like a normal hammock. Lay in it diagonally, just like a normal hammock. I'm just wondering if the ends would open up more than a normal hammock and reduce shoulder squeeze. Especially if you had a wide tree or 2 trees so that the straps were further apart.

Images
    i don't think you could really lay diagonal in something like that, i could be wrong though.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'm not very good at explaining this. Let me try again.

Take a 6' x 10' rectangular piece of material. Attach a strap to each corner. Hang it loose, exactly like a normal hammock. Lay in it diagonally, just like a normal hammock. I'm just wondering if the ends would open up more than a normal hammock and reduce shoulder squeeze. Especially if you had a wide tree or 2 trees so that the straps were further apart.
    Madison320, I think that I can picture what you are describing. On the one hand, I can see where it would work (just like a wide hammock), and on the other I can see where it wouldn't (be like a bridge that you're trying to lay cross-wise in). I'm not an engineer and I've limited experience, but I think you you should try it! Just for experimentation, couldn't you take a piece of fabric and wrap a small rock in the corner and tie a rope around the rock... then you could test out the idea without any sewing necessary. If it works, then you can actually hem it and add straps.

it still sounds like a bridge hammock, just without the end caps or spreader bars, thus relying on the trees for spread.

you wouldnt need to be diagonal, it would be flat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12