Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sell me on Hammocks

I was talking to Darby the other day, and he began to talk about hammocks. Now my only memory of hammocks were cheap ones we had when i was young. They were not comfortable to me, I had a hard time getting in and out, and I was never able to fall asleep in 1, but I am getting older, and sleeping on the hard ground or a wooden shelter isn't as nice as it used to be, and I don't like cumbersome pads lol. I have always been a side sleeper, which might explain why I wasn't a fan of the net hammocks we had when I was young. Since talking to Darby I have been doing my research, and think the bridge hammock looks promising. Here's my deal though, I am scared I will feel confined, and uncomfortable. SO do I just make 1 and hope I will like it?

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    that would be my suggestion. I was very leary of spending the money to try out something new myself, so I went out and bought the fabric and made my own to try it out. As far as the style, mine is a gathered end, and I have no problem sleeping on my side, or even rolling over in it. welcome to the forums
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I am scared I will feel confined, and uncomfortable. SO do I just make 1 and hope I will like it?
    Since there a few who do not take to hammocks I suggest a DIY Speer type ... keep the bucks low but still get the experience. Ed Speer's book is 'Hammcok Camping". 10-11' or so of 1.7 or 1.9 oz ripstop 60" wide and some webbing. You can be in business for 25-30 bucks or so. OR buy a single ENO.

Add the tarp when you decide to like it.

Highly UNlikely you'll feel confined ... because you'll be asleep.

Some better advice from someone else will be along shortly.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Not sure if I've got better advice - but as a total claustrophobic I can tell you that some hammocks are more enclosed-feeling than others. I didn't try a bridge because of all the hammocks it seemed least roomy; I flip out in two person tents, so. My first try was a Hennessy, which is okay, but the bug net felt too low to me and the hammock (in retrospect) was still a little too confining for me. I picked up a Warbonnet and think that this will be my final choice in hammocks. The Blackbird is roomy and the bugnet high enough that I am not feeling confined at all, and I can sleep in any position I like except stomach sleeping. I generally do not find I can sleep well on my back, however, the hammock is comfortable enough that I can do so.

You are in NC - you might be able to go to one of the east coast group hangs and take a look at people's hammock setups.

A DIY is very affordable for a tryout hammock - google for Risk's test hammock and while you're at it read up over at Just Jeff's Hammock 101 site. And keep surfing around the forum. Lots of into on specific hammocks and tarps.

We've come a long way from flat net hammocks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    You are in NC - you might be able to go to one of the east coast group hangs and take a look at people's hammock setups.
    The Hot Springs Hang this coming weekend springs to mind. If it's anything like the other hangs, try and find a hammock omeone would NOT let you sample. In fact, if you asked around you might be able to get fixed up with a full rig (or two) for the weekend.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Sell me on Hammocks
    I would do that by inviting you to get in one. That's really the only way.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    You're in NC. Go to the Hot Springs, NC Hang this weekend, Apr. 24 - 26. Get to see all kinds of hammocks and talk to Ed Speer, the guy who wrote the book on hammocks. Odds are pretty good that you'll never want to sleep on the ground again.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

sell me on Hammocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I would do that by inviting you to get in one. That's really the only way.
    I agree, you need to just get in one. Or several different ones to see which fits you better. I'm planning on attending one of the NC group hangs and there's another hang being planned "for the deep south". Gonna take my husband (a tent guy) w/me so he can see and try different hammocks. He's gotten into mine but at 6'4", he's just too big for it.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm a newbie too, having just done my first hang this past weekend. In a bed I side sleep and then during the night switch to my back.

In the Hennessy side sleeping is no problem, especially if you sleep on your right side as you will be facing away from the closest side. The asymetrical design has your body angle from head on the left to feet on the right and it's pretty flat.

Like the others said, try to attend a group hang. I was amazed by how many hammocks everyone owns. Speer type hammocks were pretty popular at the MAHHA Spring Hang.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    You're in NC. Go to the Hot Springs, NC Hang this weekend, Apr. 24 - 26. Get to see all kinds of hammocks and talk to Ed Speer, the guy who wrote the book on hammocks. Odds are pretty good that you'll never want to sleep on the ground again.
    There will be a ton of dif hammocks for you to try out. I will have at the least a Warbonnet Black Bird and a JRB bridge hammock, and there will probably be just about every kind. Even if you could just drive there for Sat afternoon, you could get 10,000 words worth of advice in one hour.

Of course, until you actually try to sleep in one, you won't really know. And because there is a learning curve and it is a bit different with dif hammocks, you might need more than one night to figure out if it is for you. A few folks just do not take to it, even with the finest gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast