warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE

Question upset parent??????????????

had planned a quick overnighter in a local state park on friday, daughter(9) had plans to ask me if a friend could stay overnight unaware of my plans to take her and her 5 yr old sister out camping, anyways had the friend come with,fully explained that a tent was there in case of very foul weather and for changing But if she needed or wanted she could sleep in the tent weather report was perfect. mid 60's for a low at night. We got back sat afternon. The friends mom picked her up, she explained to mom she spent the night in a hammock, thought it was awesome had awesome time, did the smore's thing.Mind you this kids parents don't take her camping??? mom told me I was iresponsible for letting 2 9yr old girls sleep in hammocks. Did not give me her reasoning on why!!! So could you all maybe shed some light on what she means??? PS.... I was asked by my daughters friend when can she go "hang" again with us and gave me a hug said" thank you " for a great time
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Obviously, she confused or misinformed.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Most people don't have an under standing about hammock camping and they need to be taught. Maybe you can show them your blackbird and let them lay in it. That sells it more then anything. Most people I know say that they could do that. I can tell you that teaching children to lie and say that they stayed in a tent or a cabin won't work. Little buggers rat you out every time.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'll bet the Mom watches "Nancy Grace, Purveyor of Paranoia".
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    the mother even knows that I am an avid "hanger" she has seen the bb in the backyard and even "inspected" it. the girls slept in eno dn. fyi
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Maybe the parent was upset that you didn't ask her if it was okay if the child go camping?

I didn't read where you asked the parent. Maybe that was implied or you just didn't include it in your original post...so I'm making an assumption.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have no idea why she was so upset.?? Being a parent of four I have ran into alot of parents who don't allow swimming or football, under the predetemined notion that they are "dangerous". Some parents come from very structured and sheltered backgrounds, and pass those traits down to their own children.

My family loves the outdoors and I allow my kids to share that love with others. We bring friends along and my kids can go with other families camping. We do discuss the fact with the parents that we are going camping and where we will be, when we will be back, etc.

Try to share the hammock thing with this parent, set it up the next time she/he comes over, show them how safe and comfortable hammocks can be. Show them the HF site to educate them on the styles and the popularity of hammocks.

The parent may have a preconcieved notion that all hammock people are left-over "flowerchildren" from the '60's, and not just run of the mill everyday folks (who enjoy a comfortable sleep).

As a parent, I do like to know who my kids are with, where they are and what they are doing....all the time..until they are old enough to make good decisions and be able to protect themselves. If the kids are sleeping over at someone elses place, I want to know what the parents are like and what kind of supervision there will be. I dont need my kids going to a "kegger" at age 9, or being exposed to inappropriate materials at that age.

Hopefully, you were freinds with this parent and can rebuild the trust and relationship, for the kids sake.

Possibly, invite the parents over for hammock demonstration, if they are open-minded enough to try something "out-of-the box". It takes all kinds of people to make this world go 'round, not all are adventurers or outdoors people. Some folks camp in Winnebago's and some in hammocks, some do both. My brother-in-law refuses to camp, period. He will stay at a nearby hotel, if we are having a family camp out.?? He hates anything outdoors, weird. My wife is a teacher and is exposed to so many parents, it is hard to believe some folks still have kids. We get to see all kinds, good, bad, ugly, careless, overly protective, spoiled rotten and neglected.

Don't take it personal, until you try to mend the situation, maybe the parent was just having a bad day. "HYOH" AND "RYOK". Hang your own hammock and raise your own kids. Kids come first, love 'em all. Parents ,well thats another story. Some parents have alot of extra baggage, and some don't want their kids going up.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    Knee jerk reaction. Sounds like she should start thinking or ask a question or two before she speaks. Then again, most people are like that.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I'm not sure from your post if the parents were told the girl was going camping, i have a 12 year old and would be cranky if not told before.

If they were told then they have a problem, sounds like a good night was had by all.
    One last thought, please take it the right way. was it just you and the girls camping? no other adult females?

Just a thought why the mum got upset.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Not informing a parent that you're taking their kid camping is plenty good reason for them to be upset. Doesn't matter that the kid enjoyed it. The parent should always be informed.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast