Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap

Shelter sleeping with TQ/UQ and no pad?

I have looked around for quite a few days on the forums for someone to talk about something running through my head...what happens when you have to bail out of your hammock, or you are the only person at the shelter in the Smokies and you have no choice but to sleep in the shelter, but you only have a TQ and UQ with no pad?

I am sure someone has some insight on this. I think two things, first on my mind...mice can get down into my covers. HAHAHA. And next...I now have no insulation underneath me other than my compressed UQ and a piece of tyveks. Anyone care to chime in?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Might have to get creative.....stuff some duff in your pack and lay that under you. I always have a very small pad for under my feet. Might be a slightly uncomfortable night but one will survive))))
    I find shelters gloomy and uncomfortable in general and would do all I could to not have to sleep in one.
    Shug of the No-Shelt
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    Dang, why didnt I think to ask YOU? I have watched nearly every one of your videos on youtube at least three times over...what can I say, long hours and short work out here in Africa You are quite the entertaining feller!! Hmmm, well I have full length UQ for my Ridgerunner so I cant really justify taking even the smallest piece of foam, although having a piece to sit on like you carry might be justified.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Might have to get creative.....stuff some duff in your pack and lay that under you. I always have a very small pad for under my feet. Might be a slightly uncomfortable night but one will survive))))
    I find shelters gloomy and uncomfortable in general and would do all I could to not have to sleep in one.
    Shug of the No-Shelt
    Wells hells bells...I am new to this whole thing and forgot to quote you on my previous post. LOL.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungSon View Post
    I have looked around for quite a few days on the forums for someone to talk about something running through my head...what happens when you have to bail out of your hammock, or you are the only person at the shelter in the Smokies and you have no choice but to sleep in the shelter, but you only have a TQ and UQ with no pad?

I am sure someone has some insight on this. I think two things, first on my mind...mice can get down into my covers. HAHAHA. And next...I now have no insulation underneath me other than my compressed UQ and a piece of tyveks. Anyone care to chime in?
    This is why, so far any way, I have never hiked without at least enough pad to get me through a night that would otherwise be with
    nothing to cushion the hard ground. Or a shelter floor. Though I usually only have a torso sized piece of WM blue CCF, which always also serves as my sit pad, and sometimes as my leg/feet pad in the hammock with a torso sized UQ. It ain't much cushioning wise, but it is better than nothing.

So far in ~ 6 years, I have only been forced to ground twice, and both times were during my first week of hammock hanging while backpacking. On that trip I had pretty close to my normal backpack ground set up. Which I believe was one full length Ridgerest CCF and one torso sized Thermarest self inflating UL, their thinnest model. I would stack these. Though I've never gone to ground since, I sure was glad I had them on those 2 nights.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    This is why, so far any way, I have never hiked without at least enough pad to get me through a night that would otherwise be with
    nothing to cushion the hard ground. Or a shelter floor. Though I usually only have a torso sized piece of WM blue CCF, which always also serves as my sit pad, and sometimes as my leg/feet pad in the hammock with a torso sized UQ. It ain't much cushioning wise, but it is better than nothing.

So far in ~ 6 years, I have only been forced to ground twice, and both times were during my first week of hammock hanging while backpacking. On that trip I had pretty close to my normal backpack ground set up. Which I believe was one full length Ridgerest CCF and one torso sized Thermarest self inflating UL, their thinnest model. I would stack these. Though I've never gone to ground since, I sure was glad I had them on those 2 nights.
    Great point! Just FYI I am planning an AT NOBO thru for 2014 and just trying to get the kinks out. Thanks to yours and Shugs suggestions I will go ahead and carry juuuuuust enough to keep my torso insulated should I be forced to ground. What do you think about the underquilt and top quilt when having to stay in the shelter. I forsee there being an issue with drafts due to not being able to use the slope of the fabric on the hammock to keep the TQ tucked in around my sides...well, that and the fact that little furry critters will have easy access to the warmth of my bag. LOL

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ (Yipee
    Suspension
    7/64 Amsteel SLS

Pad as a Framesheet

When it comes time for a new backpack, choose one that uses a CCF pad as a frame sheet. Then you will always have a pad if needed for sleep, or for treating a medical emergency (splint, cervical collar, ground insulation against hypothermia, etc.).

Be Prepared!
    "A Dead Last Finish (DLF) is better than a Did Not Finish (DNF) which is infinitely better than a Did Not Start (DNS)!"

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    When it comes time for a new backpack, choose one that uses a CCF pad as a frame sheet. Then you will always have a pad if needed for sleep, or for treating a medical emergency (splint, cervical collar, ground insulation against hypothermia, etc.).
    Current pack only has one trip out...might be a while for that one

Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Be Prepared!
    I am trying

Images
    Great point! Just FYI I am planning an AT NOBO thru for 2014 and just trying to get the kinks out. Thanks to yours and Shugs suggestions I will go ahead and carry juuuuuust enough to keep my torso insulated should I be forced to ground. What do you think about the underquilt and top quilt when having to stay in the shelter. I forsee there being an issue with drafts due to not being able to use the slope of the fabric on the hammock to keep the TQ tucked in around my sides...well, that and the fact that little furry critters will have easy access to the warmth of my bag. LOL
    Not sure how you are going to get any use out of your UQ if you end up in the shelter and not hanging, or outside on the ground. TQs are known for not working as well/being more prone to drafts on the ground as in a hammock, and the UQs are usually more narrow than the TQs. With the exception of PeaPod users, which functions just like a big sleeping bag for ground use. At 72" wide, it can be used either as a quilt that is MORE than big enough for a draft free experience on the ground, or is big enough to even function as an actual sleeping bag. In fact, during normal use on the hammock, it is functioning as though you and the hammock are both inside a sleeping bag. In the pods case the "UQ" part is sewn to the "TQ" part, plus the full length Velcro closure.

But I'm thinking, if you are on the ground, you are going to be using just one quilt, most likely your TQ because it is wider. Unless I'm missing something? Or, unless the quilts were modded in some fashion to enable them to be joined together?

Images
    ...well, that and the fact that little furry critters will have easy access to the warmth of my bag. LOL
    Extra furry critters means free shared body heat: Bonus survival points!

TQ and UQ can be rotated 90deg and overlapped to cover feet/legs (UQ) and upper legs/torso (TQ) Generally they are longer than wide. Turning the length into width will ensure reduced draftiness, although the overlap area near the waist will take some care to avoid opening up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast