Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Aw gee Mule ....... there you go , giving away the secret of Cresent Valley. I honestly thought I was the only one who knew it existed. Not really, but I have never encountered anyone else there in three or four trips into it. One of my favorite places in the Deam Wilderness (or in Indiana for that manner). It's fairly easy to get into (even for a one-legged, old fart like me) and there should be ample water available in April. Also, the Sycamore loop is hiking only, and we wouldn't have to worry about horses.

This would be a good choice, but I must admit that you have my interest peaked with Panther Creek. But hey, I'm easy anywhere will sound good in April.
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pegleg56 View Post
    Aw gee Mule ....... there you go , giving away the secret of Cresent Valley. I honestly thought I was the only one who knew it existed. Not really, but I have never encountered anyone else there in three or four trips into it. One of my favorite places in the Deam Wilderness (or in Indiana for that manner). It's fairly easy to get into (even for a one-legged, old fart like me) and there should be ample water available in April. Also, the Sycamore loop is hiking only, and we wouldn't have to worry about horses.

This would be a good choice, but I must admit that you have my interest peaked with Panther Creek. But hey, I'm easy anywhere will sound good in April.
    That's funny, I thought I and a few friends were the only ones on Earth that knew about it. OK...One vote for Crescent Valley.....
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I think I could maybe make it with my current schedule, as long as there's no drastic change. It would be really nice if we had warmer weather by then because I'm not sure if I can scrounge up an underquilt by then and I'm already SOOO tired of that blue pad.

I probably won't have a +1 this time as my hiking buddy will be in basic, but we will see.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Ok Mule can you direct me to a website or map or gps locations of some of the areas you describe. They all sound great but I would love to look at them from Google Earth. I promise I wont tell a soul about your secret locations. As for what type of hang. Personally i think the most accommodating thing would be hiking in under 3 miles then day hike on Sat. (I would rather bushwhack then use a trail) This allows for people to stay at camp that dont want to wander off very far. That leaves an easy hike out on Sun. This is only the opinion of an underinformed hick from Northern IN. (formerly a Michigan Hill Rat)

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Another couple of possible locations for it is Pate Hollow which is on the north side of Lake Monroe and a part of the Hoosier National Forest. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recr...ate_hollow.htm

There is also backcountry camping on the Low Gap Trail in Morgan Monroe State Forest. http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/4816.htm
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Sounds like a great week end hang, count me in . Free any week end but Easter. Never been to Deam but I'm doing the Sycamore trail down there New Years Day for the first time.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kps47634 View Post
    Sounds like a great week end hang, count me in . Free any week end but Easter. Never been to Deam but I'm doing the Sycamore trail down there New Years Day for the first time.
    kps47634, Welcome to the Forum. If you are doing the Sycamore Branch next week, you may want to visit Crescent Valley. 39.047602,-86.295183

<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114024290529206641693.00047b bd4e9b7aecd6d68&ll=39.047386,-86.295011&spn=0.011382,0.025663&t=h&z=16>
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    Mule, thank you for your kind words. As a lurker I have enjoyed the posts, pictures and videos submitted by you and your many friends. It was not difficult to deduce that you are all truly gentle persons and scholars. I consider it a privilege to consort with those not driven by base desires and of kindred spirit! This said, I wish to apologize to TroutEhCuss. This is your thread and thus, your arena. It was not my intention to disrupt the flow. Nor was I accused. I was merely attempting to add perspective to your good idea and subsequently felt I had intruded. In the same spirit I will now put my other foot in my mouth! It may be a little early in the year for it. But weather permitting, another scheme is to camp at the end of the Peninsula Trail along Lake Monroe as previously proposed. Then those of a mind could hike in 6 mi. from the John Grubb parking lot. And those of a mind could paddle in 5 mi. ? From Crooked Creek ramp! Thus possibly incorporating another sport into the agenda. Whatever floats your boat! Respectfully, DR

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Buckle
    Images
    Dead Reckon - thanks, but no need to apologize. You haven't done anything wrong and I don't consider this my thread. My hope (besides trying to add something to the forum) is to get together with like minded individuals in the outdoors for some fun, with the added benefit of learning something.

While I have something in mind, it's my hope that the thread meets the hanger/backpacking needs of those that choose to be involved - the more the merrier. This thread should be the meeting of the minds (and hearts).

To be clear, my only hopes are there's backpacking with decent miles, the miles won't kill me, and plenty of HF members able to attend. I work an unusual work-week and schedule, so I have to use vacation time from work.

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    Would be interested ... any dates, yet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast