Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies

Question bug net questions

I am going to sew a sock bug net, but I'm not sure of the material to use. I got a 'rectangular mosquito net' made by coghlan's, and was thinking about cutting it up for the sock, but I'm not sure about the hole size. Looks fine for keeping mosqitos out, but not sure about the smaller creepy crawlers. Anyone have advice as to the best/lightest/cheapest bug fabric to use? I can't order anything, don't have the time, so it would have to be from a wal mart or joanne fabric type store.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I have never found anything suitable for bug netting at Walmart or JoAnns. Since you do not want to wait to order any suitable material. I would say go ahead and use your rectangular mosquito net. Heck it can not hurt anything.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Ordering something online will most likely get you something less expensive and more useful.

My latest bugnet effort involved ordering 4 yards from speerhammocks.com and using it "raw" with no sewing. I just drape it over my ridgeline and weight it with six plastic clothespins. It's cheap. It's easy. It's simple, and it works well for entry and exit.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    I found that the Army/Navy Store which is somewhat near me sells some nice Noseeum netting from wide rolls.

You can check out what they offer here.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/mosquito_netting.htm

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    halfback,

You want noseeum netting, not mosquito netting. And, you want the netting to be black. Mosquito netting is wide enough to let blackflies and biting midges through, which may make you beg for mosquitoes. Light colored netting can be hard to see through.

FarStar

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfback View Post
    I am going to sew a sock bug net, but I'm not sure about the hole size. Looks fine for keeping mosqitos out, but not sure about the smaller creepy crawlers. Anyone have advice as to the best/lightest/cheapest bug fabric to use? I can't order anything, don't have the time, so it would have to be from a wal mart or joanne fabric type store.
    wally's and jo-ann's carry a item called toulle, it looks like bridal veil material and can work as a mosquito net., less than a buck a yard normally.

If your coghlans mosquito net looks like fine mesh, it should be okay. They made several versions in the past, and some had really big holes. But you may have the finer mesh? It may work and you may be able to use it with very little modification. By melting small holes at either end for your suspension lines to go thru, your hammock will hang under a nice bug free gazeebo. Let the netting hang to the ground, or tie it up to seal out the bugs.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i think the netting should work for a quick but net ,untill you make a better one
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks everyone! I think I'll go to see what the horrible box stores have, and jo's. My hike is this weekend, so maybe I'll order some good stuff for my next hike. The army/navy idea is good too, I'll have a look at that. The cohglan's is the big hole stuff. I'm sure it will keep out skeeters, but maybe not the other buggers.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    One other quick thought for a cheap quick & dirty fix - you might check second-hand stores for window sheers. I made a bugnet out of similar material I found at Walmart. It's fine eough mesh to keep the little things out. Hard to find in dark colors, though. Smoky dark gray was the best I could do.
    Last edited by Frawg; 06-06-2010 at 11:39.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    I see you are in NC. You should be fine in mosquito netting. It is MUCH cooler than noseeum netting. Even if you get into noseeums they go away at dusk, as do blackflys (not that you have them in NC). I hiked through Maine during the height of blackfly season and used nothing more than wedding tulle. One, and only one, night I was attacked noseeums because I turned in early in a swampy area. A little bug spray and they were not a problem anymore. Since you already have the netting, why not try it. It's all I ever use.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast