Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO dryfly
    Suspension
    flat poly webbing

looking for some start out advise

Hi let me start by thanking you all for such a great resource the information here is fascinating I'm hoping that I can get some experienced opinions before I invest in a setup I dont know what the real cost of DIY vs Buying one is I do own a sewing machine and know how to use it though it might be kinda tough to find space to lay out the fabric for cutting and such also I need to have a tent by the end of the month so ordering bits from here and there and waiting on shipping I could see myself running out of time real quick so if it turn out that DIY is significantly cheaper or will fit my needs better I would want to be able to get the materials from joanns/hobby lobby/hardware stores

the main points I need to address are
    • I'm some where between 350-400lbs
    • I need to be able to add a couple poles and a under tarp in case there isnt a good place to hang
    • I tend to sleep on my sides
    • I can tend to move a lot when I sleep switching back and forth between sides and am afraid of the extra stresses bouncing like that can cause
    • weight of the gear is not that important to me yet it'll mostly be used car/bike camping
    • bug netting is a must as mosquitoes are a really problem where I live

from the looking I've done I'm considering one of these skeeter-beeter-pro, Blackbird Double Layer 1.7oz (olive green),
    Switchback - 1.9 Double Layer
    , or JUNGLE HAMMOCK & FLY

are these good options? will they live up to their weight ratings or split once my fat rear sits down in em? I like the price on the skeeter beeter from grand trunk but i would still need a tarp and other rigging right?

I do want to not want to have to invest too much in getting started but I know its usually cheaper in the long run to buy right the first time than to buy twice so thanks in advance for your help on this

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    ok.. i'll take a shot at this
    DIY will not save you alot of money once you add in your time
    if you have the time then i say try it... but most ppl like myself make gear because we make it to fit our needs...

I'm some where between 350-400lbs

Brandon over at warbonnet outdoors makes a 3 layer warbonnet blackbird that would take your weight... at your weight your options are going to be limited but there are hammocks out there

I need to be able to add a couple poles and a under tarp in case there isnt a good place to hang

Most tarps can be used on the ground... just find a stick or even use your bike to tie it off

I tend to sleep on my sides
    I can tend to move a lot when I sleep switching back and forth between sides and am afraid of the extra stresses bouncing like that can cause

i'm a side sleeper at home... but in a hammock i can sleep fine on my back ... you can sleep on your side in a hammock or kinda on your side... it takes some getting use to
    as for moving around alot as long as it is rated for your weight i don't see that being a problem.. and most ppl find out that they don't move around as much in a hammock cause they fall into a deep sleep faster

weight of the gear is not that important to me yet it'll mostly be used car/bike camping

any hammock thats rated for your weight is game

bug netting is a must as mosquitoes are a really problem where I live

WBBB ......
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO dryfly
    Suspension
    flat poly webbing
    I saw the double layer 1.7 blackbird that says its rated for 400lbs but i couldn't find a triple layered one on his site from the warbonnet site is the $175 just for the hammock or does it come with a tarp and suspension gear?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannim View Post
    I saw the double layer 1.7 blackbird that says its rated for 400lbs but i couldn't find a triple layered one on his site from the warbonnet site is the $175 just for the hammock or does it come with a tarp and suspension gear?
    A triple layer would be a custom order. E-mail Brandon and he'll take care of you. HF member HogTyed has a triple layer IIRC. Even though the double layer is rated for 400lbs the extra layer will help keep you flatter vs the double layer. The hammocks do not come with a tarp but comes with suspension. If you go the Warbonnet route, get the webbing and cinch buckle suspension. easy to adjust and set up when you are just starting out.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Price includes one of 2 suspension options (go for the strap/buckles option), with tree huggers.

Tarps and insulation are not included...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannim View Post
    That's for the hammock and suspension (already answered). Brandon at Warbonnet Outdoors (like most of our best cottage-industry gear makers) is usually open to reasonable modifications to a standard design. To make a triple layer is not a major request that requires a lot of tinkering to make it work. Send him an email and ask for a quote.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm also a tossing and turning side sleeper - in my opinion, the Switchback 1.9 Double is the hammock for you. I couldn't get comfortable in my Blackbird (although it is a superb hammock) because of my sleeping habits. The Switchback lets me sleep on my sides and toss & turn and it just goes with the flow and I sleep like a baby.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    You should talk to Big Papi, he's around the same weight and knows what's up when it comes to big person gear.

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    If you toss and turn go with a pocket for a pad our under quilt. If you sweat when you sleep then definitely under quilt.

• + New Posts