Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russmay View Post
    I'm no switch back expert. In fact I have one ordered and patiently waiting for it to arrive. You state the end channel loops aren't designed for STR. What if you used an adjustable Whoopie sling with 2 s binners on the ends and attach them to the suspension.
    I don't see why you could not do that.
    However a SRL is really not required on the SB and for me, I prefer not having a line knocking my hat off and always getting in the way when I setup.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by russmay View Post
    I'm no switch back expert. In fact I have one ordered and patiently waiting for it to arrive. You state the end channel loops aren't designed for STR. What if you used an adjustable Whoopie sling with 2 s binners on the ends and attach them to the suspension.
    generally, a structural ridgeline attaches where the suspension meets the hammock body. it attaches to the suspension as a load bearing anchor, runs "thru" the whipping and into the hammock, and supports the bugnet while also setting the consistent sag. this is how i've seen it on my blackbird and HH.

now, by nature of the switchback design, the hmmk ends are not "whipped", but instead use a triple stitched sewn channel. the problem attaching a SRL arises due to the bugnetting being sewn into that channel seam- effectively making it impossible to connect a ridgeline to the suspension anchor: they are separated by the channel seam.

when i refer to the "end channel loops", those are simply small loops of orange drawcord also sewn into that channel seam, designed to be inside the bugnetting and utilized to hang gear from, not to be used as load bearing anchors.

the convertible mod allow the net to come off, thereby allowing a ridgeline to attach at suspension / hmmk connection points, just like any other netless hammock. i plan to do exactly as you say, though, just to test the switchback with a ridgeline. i'll be using my fancy new dutch ridgeline biner and lash it adjustable whoopie ridgeline, to experiment with different amounts of sag.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I'v used the Warbonnett Traveler for the last year and the ridgeline was connected to the Whoopie sling suspension at the whipping end of the hammock. Just larks head on the Whoppie slings. That is what I was thinking now that you have the convertible mode, this should be feasible.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I'm still hoping to find a Switchback used.

I did however spend a great night in my Blackbird last night. Stiff competition.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i plan to do exactly as you say, though, just to test the switchback with a ridgeline. i'll be using my fancy new dutch ridgeline biner and lash it adjustable whoopie ridgeline, to experiment with different amounts of sag.
    Hi RW,
    I think you'll find if you drop the sag on the SB (like a wbbb or traveler) to incorporate a RL it won't lay
    as flat and if you hang the SB for the most comfortable/ flat lay and then attach a RL it
    will be very low and always in the way. YMMV

Did the mailman bring your SB today?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi RW,
    I think you'll find if you drop the sag on the SB (like a wbbb or traveler) to incorporate a RL it won't lay
    as flat and if you hang the SB for the most comfortable/ flat lay and then attach a RL it
    will be very low and always in the way. YMMV

Did the mailman bring your SB today?
    thats kinda what i imagined happening O&B. i haven't had the opportunity to really play with the SB... only had it on the overnighter in the woods... and playing with suspension angles and sag takes away from the fun of the whole hiking / camping thing.

i still plan to, maybe ill-advisedly, tweek the heck outta the sag now that i have the opportunity...likely to only confirm that the SB need be hung tight without a ridgeline.

ugh, its unlikely there will be a red, white and blue box on my porch today. it shipped from ohio yesterday, which likely gets it here thursday.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post

when i refer to the "end channel loops", those are simply small loops of orange drawcord also sewn into that channel seam, designed to be inside the bugnetting and utilized to hang gear from, not to be used as load bearing anchors.
    That is correct, the loops are not designed to be load bearing at all. The orange cord is just a locator for the GG ribbon loops that are sewn into the seam between the net and liner/hammock body (depending on DL/SL). We found that the loops were hard to see, black ribbon on black liner, with the end of the hammock cinched up so we added a small piece of "No Tangle" to make it more visible. We have now started putting D rings on the GG loops to make it easier to attach a small biner to. These loops are designed for clothes bags, pillows, storage bags etc. If a heavy load was applied to these loops, the load would be pulled "across" (perpendicular) the triple stitches and would rip out quickly when the load was applied.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch

1st impressions video

this was made on the trail- before the convertible mod.
    some initial first impressions have changed since this was filmed-
    most notably the "in-line girth hitch" used to suspend the netting.
    that has been switched out to a permanent tautline hitch loop.
    &
    the spreader bars: they don't ship with the hmmk. this has been covered though in the tttg forum. darby sent me directions on making them- or the
    clark bars will work too, thank to the O&B mod.
    &
    comfort is situational and personal. when i speak of "comfort"- i mean overall
    hammock design, lay and attributes- i.e. opens sides, lack of ridgeline, symmetrical design, etc.

"Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    Enjoyed your pre review.
    I agree the tie out are more in the way when using an UQ.

I do use them (shoulders only) during the day when reading and the net is deployed
    for bugs. Pre UQ install. It helps spread the net . Have not tried the SB with
    Clark spreader bars yet. Tieouts might not be required then.

Hammock
    WL Snipe,DIY,WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG,OES CF
    Insulation
    Yeti,Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Good vid rip
    This weekend we finally got to try out the SB LH.
    I got to sleep in it one night and the wife got it the next night. Both of us had very comfortable nights in it. and we didn't hang it as tight as it probably should have been. We're kinda brainwashed with 30 degree angle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast