Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD) Hammock

I have been searching for this to no avail, so forgive me if you all have been through it...

Has anyone tried the hammocks that MLD put out. I had wanted one, but they changed their website, and never put it back on there. The thing is, I called Ron from MLD one day to ask if they were going to keep the hammocks, and he told me that they were.

I remember that he talked about the design taking several prototypes to get the right shape, but that it was cut very different and was quite comfortable; I would sure hate to hear that all that effort is going to go to waste! Does anyone have one of these hammocks or any info about whether or not MLD will bringing back the hammock?
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 02-27-2008 at 10:41. Reason: Misspellin'

Images

Question Taboo??

Are MLD hammocks a no-no around here, or is it just that nobody has experience with them?

I am interested in discussing the epic material used, and how desirable of a fabric it is to use to build a hammock with regards to comfort, strength, and breathability.

Also, I am interested in the design. On the old website, Ron said he designed the hammock with the epic fabric stretching one way in certain parts, and the opposite way in others, and I believe he said it was to maximize comfort. I am intrigued by this, and am wondering if anyone has any comments on the design of this hammock.

Images
    I never heard of them before, then again I maybe out of the loop. Do you have a link to one of them?

I'm not sure if it is practical to make one that stretches different. Unless you could custom make the fabric, I'm not sure of how to do it without sewing multiple pieces together. Which would have it weaker or heavier.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Are MLD hammocks a no-no around here, or is it just that nobody has experience with them?
    I think you'll find that we're willing to talk about pretty much any hammock here, including MLD!

I can recall the MLD hammock being mentioned here on the forum only once before, but I cannot find that thread at the moment. I never did see any info about it, either, aside from the fact that MLD made a hammock.

Do you have any more information about it? Pics, detailed description, etc?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Are they custom order? I couldn't find any "hammocks" on their site. Found some other stuff that I'd like to have, but no hammocks.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    No, I cannot post a link to it because the old website was replaced with a new one, and they do not have it listed. (Though Ron said on the phone with me it was coming back...) Well, after 10 pages of Google searches, no pictures! I quit!

I am sure you are not "out of the loop," hammock engineer! The hammocks were only up for a few months before they changed websites. I have always liked the way MLD tarps look, and thought that Ron was really funny in the descriptions, so I was always looking at the website dreaming of owning their gear! (It will be mine...oh, yes...it will be mine...)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    No, I cannot post a link to it because the old website was replaced with a new one, and they do not have it listed. (Though Ron said on the phone with me it was coming back...) Well, after 10 pages of Google searches, no pictures! I quit!

I am sure you are not "out of the loop," hammock engineer! The hammocks were only up for a few months before they changed websites. I have always liked the way MLD tarps look, and thought that Ron was really funny in the descriptions, so I was always looking at the website dreaming of owning their gear! (It will be mine...oh, yes...it will be mine...)
    Did you try the wayback machine? The MLD site has a bunch of entries there. I did not feel like clicking on every one of them. If you have a rough idea of the time frame, you might find something.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

MLD hammock

I was considering ordering one of Ron's hammocks, then he reorganized and didn't bring it back. I liked the light weight of his hammock, combined with a side entry and zipper. I was unsure of how well the bug net hung, his pictures always showed the person inside holding the sides of the hammock out with his hands. He couldn't use a ridge line because Tom Hennessey likes to let other hammock builders know about his patents. I also wasn't wild about the yellow color, which was the only color available at the time. I'm not sure he produced more than a handful of them before his reorganization.

I have ordered other stuff from him, always found the wait time to receive things a little long, even after his reorganization. I ordered a poncho/tarp and it took a little over three months.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    According to a post by Ron Bell (owner of MLD) on BPL:

"We have set a launch date of Feb 5th.

In the first round of products will be 3 packs, 10 tarps and 4 bivys and the eVENT rain mitts.

Sleeping bags, hammocks, shelters, misc gear, ponchos, fun info, etc will be added after that as soon as we can."

The launch date he refers to is for the updated website which is now up. Guess we'll have to wait a little longer for the hammock rollout. I own several pieces of MLD gear and they're all very well made, lightweight, and functional. Ron has always been a one-man shop and has frankly been overwhelmed by the demand for his products -- hence the long wait.

Images
    Thanks, everyone, for helping me! I went to the wayback machine, but it always directed me to the new site?! Oh, well...

I may call Ron myself today just to see if he plans on rolling this back out. But maybe it is people like me calling that keeps your orders from coming in for months! If I do, I'll post an update!

With regard to the design:

I would probably like a different color than yellow, as well, but I am not sure if epic comes in any other colors?

I believe the hammock was sewn of multiple peices, but I cannot remember.

Also, I know he was touting that the epic fabric would wrap around you and create walls which were waterproof--thus, the tarp could be much smaller.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast