WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm not familiar with KAQ, but I've had (and sometimes still have) similar problems with my full length Hammock Gear UQ. My underquilt can slide up or down on the shock cords. This is great for easily getting the quilt in the right position, but it also has its drawbacks, because the weight of the quilt pulls it to the lowest point and opens gaps. I fixed it reasonably well by attaching additional shock cords to the head and foot end (my quilt has loops for this purpose), and clipping the shock cords into the s-biners. This prevents the quilt from slipping down.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've found that trying to get your UQ adjusted single-handed is a frustrating and often futile endeavor. Someone needs to be in the hammock and the other person makes the adjustments. Make sure it's someone you know well because it's inevitable that they'll have to slide their hand under your butt to check for gaps.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I've found that trying to get your UQ adjusted single-handed is a frustrating and often futile endeavor. Someone needs to be in the hammock and the other person makes the adjustments. Make sure it's someone you know well because it's inevitable that they'll have to slide their hand under your butt to check for gaps.
    Or somebody you don't like

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    +1 for getting someone to lay in the hammock while you adjust it. There really is no susbtitute to actually seeing and adjusting the fit while the hammock is sagging under a similar size/weight person. If you must adjust it yourself, a good way to do so is to first slack up the end channels all the way and only adjust the main suspension. Get it a nice, tight seal under your butt. You don't want the fabric to be buckling under the strain, but the shockcord should be extended enough that it definitely can't sag any further. When you get out of the hammock, the uq should actually raise the now-empty hammock due to this tight suspension. Lastly, you can cinch down the ends until the whole thing is snug.

If you think the gap is forming under the center of the uq but the ends remain sealed, that seems to indicate that the main suspension could be a bit slack and/or the end channels are probably snugged too much.

If the gap is forming near one end only, you probably just need to slide the uq along the main suspension channels and/or adjust that side's end channel.

If you suspect the entire uq is fit tightly at the beginning of the night but is sagging overnight, I suspect that the main suspension is just too loose and that you never actually had a good fit. You may not notice the gap when you fist get in all warm sleepy, but as the night temperature drops, you will become more and more aware of it. I doubt your suspension is actually sagging overnight at the temperatures you described.

Good luck!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    When you get out of the hammock, the uq should actually raise the now-empty hammock due to this tight suspension.

Thanks! I think I've been counting on the sag of the hammock to get a snug fit. I even thought the sag wasn't enough. Can't wait to try out the tips I got here, thanks.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    I did some experiments today and it feels promising.

1. Drawcord that controls the width of the UQ: I think the fit was better after I loosened it up a bit.

2. More vertical pull on the UQ's suspension. I used a tíny S-biner.
    S-biners or similar things tend to move outwards along the ridge line, so I hooked it into the bug net suspension. This is probably the cheapskate's version of the triangle thingies. I saw the tip in another thread, so I can't take credit.

Actually, lying in the hammock and moving the s-biner towards the end of the hammock I could feel my back getting colder. Ideally, it should be possible to get a good fit without tricks like this, but it seems to work without too much hassle.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    If I understand you right, you were moving the conection point for the uq suspension forwards (towards the hammock) and back (away from hammock), and you found that moving it forwards helped? Where was the cold spot that this move eliminated? At your shoulders or under your butt?
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I'm following this thread with great interest. I, too, am having difficulty hanging my AHE Flamethrower (down) UQ so that it it snug underneath me. To be fair, this is my first "professionally made" underquilt.

I don't fault the construction of the underquilt at all. It is beautifully made. I'm just on the learning curve and it's getting colder every day!!!! My instinct was to tighten the end shock cords and that, apparently, is incorrect! Thanks for the info.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    If I understand you right, you were moving the conection point for the uq suspension forwards (towards the hammock) and back (away from hammock), and you found that moving it forwards helped? Where was the cold spot that this move eliminated? At your shoulders or under your butt?
    moving the cords from the end of the hammock inwards along the ridgeline seemed to help. the uq cords are almost vertical from the rl. this means it's looseralong the sides but the cold spot under my lower back is gone. I'll attach a thin cord to keep the attachment points at the same spot.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    moving the cords from the end of the hammock inwards along the ridgeline seemed to help. the uq cords are almost vertical from the rl. this means it's looseralong the sides but the cold spot under my lower back is gone. I'll attach a thin cord to keep the attachment points at the same spot.
    This sounds like a good idea. Let me ask a question: Why don't folks attach their under quilts with a series of grosgrain ribbons along both sides of the hammock and under quilt? I've done this with DIY under quilts and it seems to work fine. That way, there are no gaps or sags as the ties keep the long sides of the hammock and the long sides of the under quilt together. Shock cord on the short ends of the under quilt keep it tight but still stretches with the hammock. Makes sense to me, but no one seems to do this.

Granted, it takes longer to set up and take down, tying about ten "tennis shoe" knots. And it's not really adjustable... . Maybe I just answered my own question...
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast