Hammock
    As of now...Eno DoubleNest (stc)
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I second @Roloff. I stumbled upon JustJeff's page and was intrigued. I bought an Eno Hammock because that's what I was familiar with and then stumbled upon Shug's YouTube page and fell in love with te thought of hammock. I say thought because I have yet to sleep in mine. I have ordered an underquilt and my first hang will be in February on the unforgiving Mount Mitchell in NC. WooooBuuuudy! Can't wait!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    the wife and I were hiking and backpacking 3 yrs ago in the GSMNP and solid tenters then,,and couple of college student dudes came hiking into our campsite which held 8 in a total of 4 diff areas, and they came up and said hi, then walked over to a area with a few trees, and in watching them,,in less than 2-3 minutes setup hammocks, tarps, and sleeping bags, (no UQ's as it was in the mid 80's). I thought how neat it looked and how quick...and as soon as they set up,,they grabbed a couple of fishing rods and hit the creek for alittle trout fishing. Wife was reading a book,,so I snuck over, and eye'd all their equipment. They were hanging in WBBB's with bug nets, diamond shaped tarp on one, a hex tarp on the other. That nite it rained, we were high and dry in the tent..Nemo Nano Extreme, and small 8' x 10' sil nylon tarp to sit under if it rained. Next day, we hiked another 8 or 9 miles, enjoying our moments to another campsite, same 2 guys came walking into campsite carrying abunch of trout. It was almost dark, and I had a campfire going and offered it to them to cook their fish,,and chatted about the hammocks and such, and so I eventually was offered to test one and so was the wife, and right off the git go,,in testing those hammocks, had to get one and was hooked. Came back, found this forum and for about 6 months was the silent type, hadn't joined the forum,,just kept reading and seeing all the posts and digesting info while all the time tenting, finally broke down and found a local shop selling GTSBPros and got a couple, it was our first hammocks and from there been hanging in the trees ever since and have no desire unless above the tree lines for extended periods of time, ever hitting the ground again. Now I have slept on the ground in the panama jungles, the vietnam jungles even the mts. between lava rock boulders in Nam (ouch!!), about 40 diff states and beachs in the US, and last 2 yrs has been hammocking and best move the both of us has ever made. Thanks all to this forum and those 2 college students from U. of Tenn. at Knoxville.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    Acer: So much experience you have, glad to have ya on board. I crept through the forums a non member myself for several months before appearing as well. Once you find this site I've found it impossible not to spend at Least a half hour reading about experiences or other rigs each day, its addicting!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    I have always loved the outdoors, hunting, fishing, and shooting. One morning I woke up with a SEVERE burning sensation on the bottom of my feet with no apparent cause. This felt like standing on a skillet and I was unable to wear shoes at all for three days! After seeing a doctor I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis/polyneuropathy. I experienced these symptoms on several occasions. I had never really walked in the woods just for the sake of walking, only for hunting really. It's amazing how the thought of never walking in the woods again will get you motivated to do it while you still can! After a month or two of tests more tests and hiking to relive the stress of it all, I was informed that in fact I DID NOT HAVE MS! This was obviously a great relief, but I quickly realized that I STILL have no idea how much trail time I have left, so... Better start walkin'!
    Red

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunred View Post
    I have always loved the outdoors, hunting, fishing, and shooting. One morning I woke up with a SEVERE burning sensation on the bottom of my feet with no apparent cause. This felt like standing on a skillet and I was unable to wear shoes at all for three days! After seeing a doctor I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis/polyneuropathy. I experienced these symptoms on several occasions. I had never really walked in the woods just for the sake of walking, only for hunting really. It's amazing how the thought of never walking in the woods again will get you motivated to do it while you still can! After a month or two of tests more tests and hiking to relive the stress of it all, I was informed that in fact I DID NOT HAVE MS! This was obviously a great relief, but I quickly realized that I STILL have no idea how much trail time I have left, so... Better start walkin'!
    Red
    Thank goodness you didn't have MS but I got to ask...what caused the burning?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    Thank goodness you didn't have MS but I got to ask...what caused the burning?
    The symptoms were temporary, most likely caused by breathing welding fumes (highly toxic and targets the nervous system). I performed a lot of custom aluminum welding for a few years. When work slowed/stopped so did my symptoms but doctors never could find answers.
    Red

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    i had an accident at work, impaled on a steel handle and went in r rear cheek and came out in my r groin and i hung there for a bit.. so once therapy started i was walking outside , then around the block etc etc, then i read A WALK IN THE WOODS and i was hooked on this hiking thing. Then somehow found a shug video and this forum and the rest is like everyone else.. I was injured 5/2011 and 4/2012 i did my first hike and I hiked with a t**t on one of professor hammocks trails and did 7m with a 45 lb pack day one and 4m the next day.. a video review was posted..so now going on two years i have hiked quite a few trails even a very small part of the A.T. I have 6 hammocks a set of quilts a few stoves and few different packs,, lots of overtime now yet all i know is that when i walk in the woods and i finish a trail and sleep in my hammock outside, life is once again, that enjoyable, what next kind of existence like it was way back when......
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I probably can't remember the first hike I ever took. The first one I remember was when I was 4 years old---1957. My Dad took me and my brother out to his old tree house near Onway Lake in NH. We had a summer cabin out there. We went out to that tree house the first weekend of every year we went out there until one year, I must have been 7, my Dad said I was old enough to go up into the tree house, but he'd have to go up and check it out first. The next thing I saw was Dad's foot coming through the floor of that tree house and I knew I'd never be able to go up in it---ever.

The first camping trip was just a year of so later. The State had just bought up land around Pawtuckaway Lake to make a State Park. Dad grew up nearby and had hiked and camped out there all his life. We slept in the back of an old Nash Beachwagon and had fried eggs the next morning while it was still dark. The he took us up to the top of the hill where the USFS firetower was and climbed to the top to watch the sunrise.

Shortly after that, we moved to a place a couple miles from Lake Masabesic. I lived out ther in the summer---literally. My mother used to tell the n eighbors that she knew my brother and I were still alive because every couple of days canned food would disappear from the pantry.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunred View Post
    The symptoms were temporary, most likely caused by breathing welding fumes (highly toxic and targets the nervous system). I performed a lot of custom aluminum welding for a few years. When work slowed/stopped so did my symptoms but doctors never could find answers.
    Red
    Thanks Shotgunred. And I agree with you 110%, I want to do as much as I can, while I still can. I don't want to be old and decrepit and be thinking " I wish I had done....".

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast