DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For best breathability in the very low temps, my canvas winter sock is great. With using VB clothing at night, and making all effort to keep the down dry, the last thing I want is to trap water vapor inside my hammock sock or rain down frost trying to get out. Obviously the canvas comes at a significant weight penalty, so I only use it when I'm also pulling a sled.

I have not tried experimenting with a frost bib to help capture some of the moisture from breathing, that may allow for use of the lighter but less breathable fabrics. In the cold I tend to stick with what I know will work.

I have used a simple nylon sock in cool weather when more ample venting is easier and cold protection not as critical. Though, I would like the option of a packable cold weather sock for times/areas when it would be best to leave the sled at home.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    For best breathability in the very low temps, my canvas winter sock is great. With using VB clothing at night, and making all effort to keep the down dry, the last thing I want is to trap water vapor inside my hammock sock or rain down frost trying to get out. Obviously the canvas comes at a significant weight penalty, so I only use it when I'm also pulling a sled.

I have not tried experimenting with a frost bib to help capture some of the moisture from breathing, that may allow for use of the lighter but less breathable fabrics. In the cold I tend to stick with what I know will work.

I have used a simple nylon sock in cool weather when more ample venting is easier and cold protection not as critical. Though, I would like the option of a packable cold weather sock for times/areas when it would be best to leave the sled at home.
    If you're using VB clothing, the only source for condensation will be your breath. From my experience, frozen breath will condense on the upper part of the sock and not on the insulation. In essence, the frost point is moved from your insulation to the sock (which is not a bad thing).

If temps are low enough for your breath to freeze on the upper part of the inside of the sock, chances are the relative humidity is low enough to just brush what ice there is off of your insulation. The DWR on most quilts will repel that type of moisture. It's the moisture generated from insensible perspiration that will get stuck in your down. VB should eliminate that.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings

How much does your canvas sock weigh?
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    How much does your canvas sock weigh?
    It's about 6 lbs, as much or more than the rest of my hammock gear combined...

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    It's about 6 lbs, as much or more than the rest of my hammock gear combined...
    Holy Gram-killer batman! Didnt realize canvas was that heavy.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    My 1.1 generated considerable frost along its top that snowed on me. That said, the added warmth, especially around my head and face, as well as the wind break, out weighs the condensation.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hammock socks

I'd like to throw a thought in here after reading a somewhat consistent complaint about frost/condensation in the TOP of the sock, and the significant WEIGHT of a canvas sock compared to the rest of the kit. My thought is a hybrid sock with a canvas top and a Momentum50 or Nobul1 bottom.
    Last edited by MAD777; 02-27-2013 at 08:58.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Don't know if you all remember this or not. But when we were all ground dwellers,,,or at least for me winter treking, mt. climbing,,using tents on the ground, we still had the same same problem of condensation on the sides of the tents inside as well. And it was much roomier in a tent, (volumun of cubic air) over the socks we use with hammocks. And the material used in ultralite tents is similiar to what we are using in making the socks? Just thought I would throw that out to you in thinking of ways to slow down condensation. There was never any way to cut condensation down using a tent at high alititudes on a mt. trek other than to keep a small lantern lit or using a uco candle burning all nite long and you still had a small amount of moisture here and there in a tent.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images

Canvas Sock

MacEntyre's winter canvas sock weighs 34.7 oz plus condensation rates change as you go from 20 above to 20 below.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    My DIY canvas sock is probably around 6 pounds as well. I haven't weighed it, but Menards lists the shipping weight as 6.2 pounds. I just couldn't part with the money for the MacEntyre sock. I know it's a way lighter, higher quality piece of gear, but if I'm going to spend this kind of cash it will be on Summer gear that I have to carry on my back. I pull my Winter gear in a sled right now. I really do like the idea of a hybrid sock, though. That might be my next project.
    -Dan

Bikes, guns, beer, and camping make me .

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast