Papa Smurf Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Custom TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Mid Life Crisis

I’m turning 50 in June and I told my wife I don't want a girlfriend or a Porsche. But I am going to take a 100 mile solo walkabout. I’ve got my ENO Doublenest (I’m 6’6” 315lbs), Amsteel suspension, DIY Tyvek tarp, Blizzard Survival Tube (just ordered), Hammock Bliss mosquito net, ESBIT stove and 24 oz aluminum pot (empty Heineken can). I had my route all planned out by I just found out that the Station Fire has rerouted the PCT onto roads for about ½ of my planned route. He is where I need help- I somewhere to hike! Here are my parameters-
    1. Closer to San Diego the better
    2. Must allow dogs (Red Rover is coming)
    3. Must have trees
    4. Must be 100 miles
    5. A road crossing or town would be nice
    A series of connected trails would be fine, a loop would be ideal.. Please help!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I would look into something other then a survival tube for insulation
    your going to run into a few problems using one...this is why no one really uses them

condensation is going to be a big problem with the survival tube...and the survival tube alone will not keep you warm once the temps drops

i would look into a blue walmart pad if you don't have the cash for a UQ
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    You can find some great info on local hikes at: http://www.localhikes.com

Cuyamaca Peak is a nice area. Hard to find 100 miles in San Diego that has enough trees. I've hiked the PCT from the border to Warner Springs. There's a few tree areas that you go through, but you'd still end up on the ground at least one night along that route. Coming down through scissors crossing area and is a bit rough for a hammock.

There's also some great areas near Idylwild heading up Devils Slide trail that are awesome. You're up around 8 - 9,000 ft elevation there. Great views! With a good map and a little planning this would be my suggested hike.

It's been 5 years since I've been out there. Used to live there awhile. Lots of great backpacking areas. Didn't have a hammock then, hard to think of where else may work for you.

I’m turning 50 in June and I told my wife I don't want a girlfriend or a Porsche. But I am going to take a 100 mile solo walkabout.
    your wife comes off easy

i cant believe i cant get a big heineken can in the Netherlands, its a dutch brand for crying out load

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tilia View Post
    your wife comes off easy

i cant believe i cant get a big heineken can in the Netherlands, its a dutch brand for crying out load
    You can order one from http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1786358

thanks but i'm not gonna pay 5 buks +shipping for an empty beer can
    but thanks anyway

Hammock
    Papa Smurf Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Custom TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    used the survival tube last night was comfortable to 39 degrees.. no condensation issues...don't think it'll be colder that that form my trip

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    If you wanna avoid the closures (station and sheep) you might want to consider starting in Agua Dulce and head North. I'm unsure of where you'd be 100 miles N. of AG, but that's the SoCal part of the PCT that I remember most fondly.

When are you planning to start? It seems very likely to me that you would get temps lower than 39 F. There were just a handful of nights on the trail that it didn't get below 39 for me.
    Last edited by guySmiley; 03-04-2011 at 17:46.

Hammock
    Papa Smurf Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Custom TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I've decided on the San Rafael Wilderness (near Santa Barbara) I've planned a 100 mile loop. Lots of tress and water. California Condor county.... I'm cozy in my Survival Tube to 45 degrees and have a AMK Thermal Bivvy (9 ozs) for extra warmth. I'm 100 days from departure and getting excited..

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I've decided on the San Rafael Wilderness (near Santa Barbara) I've planned a 100 mile loop. Lots of tress and water. California Condor county.... I'm cozy in my Survival Tube to 45 degrees and have a AMK Thermal Bivvy (9 ozs) for extra warmth. I'm 100 days from departure and getting excited..
    Keep us posted!
    Would love to see pics - I spent some time during the early 90's in Santa Barbara (Monticeito)

Enjoy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast