Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Big Joe, if you don't mind my asking, what are you using for anchors to suspend the hammock? Eye bolts in wall studs or ceiling joists? I want to hang indoors too, but there's no room for a stand and I don't want to pull a stud out of the wall or something ( I weigh about 230)

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    bigjoe - very similar specs to what I posted above - which is what I sleep in regularly

very nice! post pics when your done!

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Big Joe, if you don't mind my asking, what are you using for anchors to suspend the hammock? Eye bolts in wall studs or ceiling joists? I want to hang indoors too, but there's no room for a stand and I don't want to pull a stud out of the wall or something ( I weigh about 230)
    you may want to check out one of knottys threads about eye bolts & the screws he used.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...08&postcount=3

I just started painting my bedroom so
    right now I have mine still in garage with regular eye bolts in ceiling beams -

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    right now in the spare bedroom I'm using stainless rigging d-rings rated at 900# with stainless lags that fit the mounting holes in the d-rings and I pre-drilled so as not to split the studs with the lags. For in the master bedroom I ordered black chrome pad eyes from my local boat shop those are rated at 1500# and they are fancy to keep the better half happy I'll post pics of them when I get them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I've got Eyebolts I bought from Lowes into a window frame doubler and the doubler for my closet. I've done work in this room before so I know that these 2x4's are double from ceiling to floor and nailed together. Making it roughly a 4x4 post. Though, I am drilled in to just the center of one of those 2x4's each. The eyebolts, which with the ruler next to them appear to be 1/4 inch in diameter, were marked on the package as good for 800 lbs. I've yet to pull a stud out of my wall yet. I have hung several tvs that were just about all I could lift, better then 100 pounds, on TV stands built accordingly for them. They used 3 similarly sized lag bolts to hold the TV there. I've got to imagine that the load I'm putting on, divided in half because half goes to the other wall, would be similar. In any case, I'm still here and I don't have any cracks. I do get a tapping sound when I swing too far from side to side but for some reason my carabiner likes to swap from left to right so that doesn't worry me, though I thought about changing the layout of my eyebolt from horizontal to slightly verticle to see if it would stop it. I'm usually sleepybye by the time it stops ticking or real close.

This last week, my 45 pound dog has decided that hammock time is time to join me, at least for mid-day naps. Kinda hoping he stays with the wife all night. It's quite cozy with him laying on top of me. Yesterday he pushed got halfway up in the hammock so I could pet his head. I just pulled him the rest of the way in and about 2 hours later my daughter showed up to pick up the grandbaby, so he stretched, yawned and got out.

Today I laid down around 2 and he put his head over the side. I petted him and went back to watching tv. His head came over the other side so I did the same. About the 4th time I asked if he didn't just want to get in and WHUMP 45 pounds of husky/shepard mix landed on my gut. Like I said, haven't pulled a 2x4 out yet.

Bottom Quilt? None. I sleep warm and the wife likes the house to be around 72 degrees when shes sleeping, 74 when she wakes and I program the timer to keep it 65 when she's not home. When I cool off over night I throw a insulated blanket on which I haven't needed in 3 weeks. When it was warm a little over a week ago I went from PJ's to tank tshirt and running shorts. Your mileage may vary.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    With the set up in the pic me and my girl have napped in my ENO dbl dlx for 2 hours with no problems and we have had the ENO swinging pretty good while tickling and horsing around and I go 375# and she is 130# so the way it's mounted has got to be solid I check it every weekend like I said no problems
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Your load is still being taken up by the upper buckle.

I was just thinking in another thread though. IF, and I know this is a big IF I know for many of us, your bedroom needs a paint job, its not that hard to cut out a couple sections of sheet rock, bang some solid 4x4's in the gap and re-sheet it. Heck, to do the job right you'd need to fill and sand any holes there anyways.

Find a 2x4 in the right space, open up between that one and the one on the opposite walls. Toe Nail it to the header/footer and nail it to the adjacent 2x4. Now you have a 4x6 that's not going ANYWHERE! Some new sheetrock with a little tape and mud and you're in business. Wife can pick the colors for the new paint.

And remember, if you're doing it right your pulling the trim. You can NEVER get the trim taped right all the way. Putting in new trim might warrant getting a chop saw. That new toy will come in real handy when you put the deck up next year.

Did I mention I had more plans for you?

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    right now in the spare bedroom I'm using stainless rigging d-rings rated at 900# with stainless lags that fit the mounting holes in the d-rings and I pre-drilled so as not to split the studs with the lags. For in the master bedroom I ordered black chrome pad eyes from my local boat shop those are rated at 1500# and they are fancy to keep the better half happy I'll post pics of them when I get them
    I like this but am thinking what if you do this setup on side by side studs (16" oc)? Then as the parrallel straps go vertically up the wall and through the upper d-rings they could then join to form a vee out from the wall say 16" out from the wall. Join the two straps into one at this point using a ring. This would do two things: one it would spread the load between two wall studs; two the swinging and twisting forces applied to the individual studs would be greatly reduced. Sorry no pictures except in my mind....

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    With the set up in the pic me and my girl have napped in my ENO dbl dlx for 2 hours with no problems and we have had the ENO swinging pretty good while tickling and horsing around and I go 375# and she is 130# so the way it's mounted has got to be solid I check it every weekend like I said no problems
    Thanks Big Joe, everyone. You all have given me enough confidence to go for it. I think this weekend I'm gonna stop at Lowes and get the hardware like you have. I'll let you know if I end up remodeling.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12