Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Could your feet have been a little too high on the first attempt too?

I've had a few occasions when I've set up in the dark, probably tired too, when I've had the feet too high you get a lot of downward pressure on your shoulders and sometimes this can negate the insulation you're using.

Just thought I'd throw that one in too

Well, this last test was certainly different!

Had the opportunit for an afternoon nap. Temperature was 23 degrees with a slight breeze. Instead of two pairs of socks, I had one, and instead of two pullovers, I had just the fleece. Wore a cotton t-shirt. Everything else was the same: no tarp, HHSS installed, bubble pad inside hammock, and... I ROASTED! After about an hour I had to vent.

Haven't had any condensation with the SuperShelter, wore the bag quilt-style, feet do seem a little higher, but a line level on the ridgeline shows the head-end being a bit higher.

I'm pretty sure it was just the bag not being sealed around my neck and shoulders on the first hang, because this time I made sure, and felt no cold at all. One thing different this time was I had just eaten lunch, and probably stoked the internal heater. It will take some tweaking to find the right setup, but I'm loving it. I plan on testing with different types of clothes and insultation arrangements. It would be nice to take the hammock down to lower temps.

I did notice something neat though. I unzipped the bugnet just a little and stuck my hand outside. It was cooler! The bugnet retains a little bit of heat. Not as much as an overcover would, I'm sure, but it does help a little.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
    - Gustaf Lindborg

The suspense is thrilling me!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zim View Post
    Well, this last test was certainly different!

Had the opportunit for an afternoon nap. Temperature was 23 degrees with a slight breeze. Instead of two pairs of socks, I had one, and instead of two pullovers, I had just the fleece. Wore a cotton t-shirt. Everything else was the same: no tarp, HHSS installed, bubble pad inside hammock, and... I ROASTED! After about an hour I had to vent.

Haven't had any condensation with the SuperShelter, wore the bag quilt-style, feet do seem a little higher, but a line level on the ridgeline shows the head-end being a bit higher.

I'm pretty sure it was just the bag not being sealed around my neck and shoulders on the first hang, because this time I made sure, and felt no cold at all. One thing different this time was I had just eaten lunch, and probably stoked the internal heater. It will take some tweaking to find the right setup, but I'm loving it. I plan on testing with different types of clothes and insultation arrangements. It would be nice to take the hammock down to lower temps.

I did notice something neat though. I unzipped the bugnet just a little and stuck my hand outside. It was cooler! The bugnet retains a little bit of heat. Not as much as an overcover would, I'm sure, but it does help a little.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Well, ain't that a kick in the butt! A draft was my 1st instinct, but some part of your story -maybe because you were plenty warm on top I guess - sort of ruled that out for me. But with any UQ or TQ or bag used as a TQ, for me a draft is always the 1st suspect. Only because I have had so much trouble with it myself.

So "roasting" in an HHSS at a breezy/no tarp 23F, eh? Well, I guess we can count one more hanger into the ever - if oh so slowly - growing ranks of successful HHSS users! Of course, you did have the bubble pad, but that's all right, it is an easy add on to the system. (Plus, I don't think that pad has many of the comfort issues seen with many pads in a hammock) An easy add on to a system that is just naturally easy to add to and boost anyway, IMO.

Also keep in mind that roasting at 23 during a nap might be a little different after 8 or 10 hours sleeping through the night. Because there is more time for your metabolism to drop as you sleep, and more time away from your last hot meal. But OTOH, just adding some of that clothing you didn't wear down into your UC can get you another 10 or 20F anyway. Does for me at least.

But congrats on a very successful cold weather nap! Also glad to hear there were no condensation issues, which I also have never had trouble with. Welcome to the lucky group!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-29-2012 at 13:04.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A lot of people are surprised at how much heat the netting actually retains. Or rather it restricts airflow to the point that it feels warmer.

In cold weather I found that less clothing is typically more. It's not uncommon for me to sleep in just polypro thermals and socks. I've also gone with shorts and a t-shirt. As long as the other insulation is sufficient I sleep fine.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by russelj2 View Post
    A note on the snoring...One of my club buddies reccomended https://puresleep.com/s30/homepage.php which works GREAT!!
    This is interesting because I seem more prone to snoring in the hammock than in bed, possibly just due to the different alignment since I don't use a pillow when hanging. I'll hafta check this out -- THANKS!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    This is interesting because I seem more prone to snoring in the hammock than in bed, possibly just due to the different alignment since I don't use a pillow when hanging. I'll hafta check this out -- THANKS!

-Klauss
    Same here. I figure it's because I sleep deeper in the hammock. My friends will thank me if this thing works. :-P
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Also keep in mind that roasting at 23 during a nap might be a little different after 8 or 10 hours sleeping through the night. Because there is more time for your metabolism to drop as you sleep, and more time away from your last hot meal. But OTOH, just adding some of that clothing you didn't wear down into your UC can get you another 10 or 20F anyway. Does for me at least.
    8 to 10 hours of sleep would be a dream! (pun intended) But I did get 7.5 hours of suspended snoozing last night, starting at 18 degrees and ending at 14. Went in at 4:30 for a pee break and to throw more wood into the stove.

The top of my legs were a bit cool, but my butt and back were slightly sweaty from laying on the pad and wearing cotton. I aired out my clothes, and then headed back out to the cold with a fleece blanket to supplement the 20 degree bag. Slept for another 2.5 hours before the daylight, chirping birds, and chill drove me inside.

While I can't compare it to an underquilt, I like the HHSS so far... and hammock camping in general. Didn't wake up with a back ache for once!
    The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
    - Gustaf Lindborg

The suspense is thrilling me!

Images
    8 to 10 hours of sleep would be a dream! (pun intended) But I did get 7.5 hours of suspended snoozing last night, starting at 18 degrees and ending at 14. Went in at 4:30 for a pee break and to throw more wood into the stove.

The top of my legs were a bit cool, but my butt and back were slightly sweaty from laying on the pad and wearing cotton. I aired out my clothes, and then headed back out to the cold with a fleece blanket to supplement the 20 degree bag. Slept for another 2.5 hours before the daylight, chirping birds, and chill drove me inside.

While I can't compare it to an underquilt, I like the HHSS so far... and hammock camping in general. Didn't wake up with a back ache for once!
    So you slept 7.5 hrs from 18F to 14F and during some of that time your back was warm enough to sweat? ( and all of this with no tarp? ) When you finally woke up chilled, was it your back or something else? Actually, looking back I see you say the tops of your legs were a bit cool, so I guess you are mainly going past the limits of your bag. Still, did you notice a cold back or butt anywhere during the night?

It does not look like you need an UQ, unless of course you just want one. And if you had one working perfectly, sleeping without a tarp or a sock to block the breeze might have made you a lot colder than you would expect. Sounds to me like you are doing about as well as could be expected with this system. By adding the HH bubble pad, you are going about 15F lower than I ever did, unless I added insulation down below(never have added a pad yet). And if it turns out your back/butt never did get cold, then you have at least another few degrees to go before the system gives up.

It would be interesting to see how well you would do without the pad, or plus maybe adding some unworn clothing down below. You might sweat less with just the pad and space blanket, or maybe not. I only say that because sweat has not been a problem for me, but YMMV.

You have managed quite the improvement from that 1st night!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12