Thread: UQ Questions

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing

UQ Questions

I have been temped to try to make a DIY Under-quilt but have some questions concerning down.....

1) I would like to take the UQ into the high 20's low 30's.....how much down am I looking at? I was thinking of making a 3/4 length.

2) where can I purchase down?

3) Can I just use down from two full size blankets that I have around my place?

4) Finally, the reason why I chose down is because it seems that it would be more compressible then synthetics and I am concerned about pack space. Does this make sense? what other pros and cons are there to the Synthetic vs Down debate?

Thanks,

Avi

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    this thread might help you..
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1434

individual considerations-
    warm or cold sleeper?
    how much clothing is available to add warmth to the system?
    any allergies?
    cost considerations? (harvested down is cheap but usually bulkier/less fill per ounce than premium down)
    width/length/thickness of UQ needed for comfort will vary by person, hang exposure and weather conditions..etc and so on...
    KM(who hopes that helps spark a few thoughts!)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I made mine out of down. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20739
    I used 10oz, you could go with 8 and be fine I think. I am a big down fan, so it was a no-brainer to me.
    I bought my down form: http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...0fdacb79bfbed5
    The down quality IMO is just not up to the task from down blankets. I wouldn't skimp here.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing
    Thanks KM....I have seen the link....its got great info...

Dblcorona.....i hear that about harvesting down....didnt think about the different fill's.

So, whats the difference between down and synthetic? is it just that down stuffs better and smaller? and lighter?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avi View Post
    Thanks KM....I have seen the link....its got great info...

Dblcorona.....i hear that about harvesting down....didnt think about the different fill's.

So, whats the difference between down and synthetic? is it just that down stuffs better and smaller? and lighter?
    I believe down is the top preformer as well, though some of the synthetics can come close. Down will last forever the synthetic will break down over time.

You got it, it's also got to do with warmth to weight ratio! You have the lighter weight in the down and it's more compressible!
    You can get down from several of the cottage companies listed on the manufacturers list here on HF!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    down will last forever if it is treated well- kept clean and dry, stored uncompressed, not allowed to get soaked (except for washing!) and dried properly when that happens... synthetic will last longer if treated nicely, but not as long as down- the fibers tend to break down/de-loft thru normal wear and tear/usage, so need replacement more often than down..that said, they are superior for damp/wet environments when weight is not the most important thing, or gear cannot be treated as well as it deserves..
    KM (who has both types, but rarely pushes them to their limits..)

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I like my synthetic stuff.

I have a Eureka Casper 15 bag, size Long, with a carry weight of allegedly 3 lbs 1 ounce (I never actually weighed it, I know, I know!)

About the lightest down bag I can find in a hurry in size long, rated to 15F, weighs 2 lbs 1 ounce (and also costs over 4x as much). All significant numbers to me... but what's probably as significant to some is stuffed size (the down bag is 8x14, the Casper is 9x16). Might not sound like much difference but I think if you're working with ultralight backpacks, it's huge. I think the Casper can compare pretty well with down bags in lower fill power, 550-650, but the 800+ stuff is far superior. If my load had been one full pound lighter on my last backpacking trip, it would have been a nicer hike, for a fact.

Just an anecdotal point, I turned in one night having been soaked by pouring rain on my way to the hammock, with temps in the high 30's. I slept warm all night and woke up dry... a good synth bag works something like a "power dry" garment. Pretty cool. I never turned in soaking wet in a down bag, unsure how they work in that scenario.

Soooo... I guess my point is, synth has it's place, but if you want to go truly light and compact, down's the only game in town as I'm sure you've already figured out.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing
    its seems like I would like to go with the down...but it breaks the budget....I think I am going to look into converting an old down sleeping bag...I have a few of those around and can find them easily used. I think I have seen a bunch of threads recently discussing this.

Thanks for all the help!

Not sure what you budget is, but, there is a place called ThruHiker ( http://thru-hiker.com/kits/quilt_kit.php ) and they sell the complete quilt kit using 900fp down (which is very, very nice)! So not sure if this help's ya any?!?!?!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts