not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I think you could get by with well chosen (no knots or significant warpage) 2x2's from the lumber dealer; I have not tried these for this application, but I have used them as poles to hold up a day shade, and the stood up to the compressive forces quite well, just don't splay the feet too far apart....KM

Images
    I spent the weekend with the scouts in my tripod hammock stand. First overnite with the tarp setup. (Sorry, I didn't get pics). I used 1/2" EMT conduit 5' long for the 2 tripods. The ridge pole is 2 - 3/4" x 5' pcs with a 1/2" x 5' pole in the middle as a connector (with some black electrical tape to 'tighten it up a bit'. Amsteel loops to hang the ridge pole. The tripod connectors are ?1/8' x 1 1/2" I bolts drilled thru approx 1 3/4" down from top. A small bolt thru the 3 eyes holds it together (Locktite on all threads). Half way down same eyebolts with throwline (guyline) holds the leg spread. On the soft ground (mud) I made pads 2"x2" with countersunk holes for the leg ends (1/2" plywood) to keep the legs from sinking.
    The tarp is supported with 2 adjustable tent poles from wallymart. Only problem was getting the tarp ridgeline stakes to hold in the soft ground (had 1 pull out sometime during 2nd day). Restaked with 2 stakes & no more problems.
    I was going for something to car camp with but lighter in weight. I got the first but am still working on the second! I have not found a source for bamboo and didn't have a lot of time to get this ready. Not terribly heavy and fairly inexpensive. Just under 19 lbs with the tarp poles, pads & carry bag. Less than $30 at Lowes.
    I REALLY LIKE the tripod design - THANKS Turtlelady! Suspending the ridgepole is a must (1st attempts with eyebolts & biners was a hilarious FAIL).
    I will try to post pics if it ever stops raining & the wife shows me how to upload them.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentCyan View Post
    Sorry if this is getting a little too old to bring back up but this looks like a really neat idea. I'd love to be able to hang inside but I don't have the room for most of the other DIY stands I've seen and adding permanent attachment points somewhere isn't an option either. Unfortunately I don't have any bamboo around so I was wondering what would make an acceptable replacement? Would 1" or 1-1/2" electrical conduit be sturdy enough for this?
    I just made this stand this weekend with 1"1/2 hemlock dowels. I works fine. The ridge line I may have cut a little bit too long(about an extra foot) but I have to say, it took me less than an hour to assemble(including messing around with some cord that had an almost impossible know). It's very adjustable and sturdy. I love it so far.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    webbing straps
    Treeslayer,
    Sounds great. Looking forward to the pics.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    I made this immediately after reading this thread a couple of weeks ago, and it turns out I even had some bamboo lying around (in my mother's garage (wonder if she'll miss it)). My hammock is on the long side, so I wanted to make sure the tripods were tall enough. I cheated some height out of them by narrowing the base... T-I-M-B-E-R! Nothing like a slow motion hammock fail.

Made the base wider (like a smart person would have) and no problems. This really is a great design.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    This really is a great design.
    +1

This design is literally exactly what I wanted out of a hammock stand.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    Good stuff here and I can lay my hands on Bamboo. I have one question though, why can't you set the ridge pole on top of the tripod instead of slinging it underneath. Maybe it is just me, but I would think this would eliminate the extra cordage.
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TadTheTinker View Post
    Good stuff here and I can lay my hands on Bamboo. I have one question though, why can't you set the ridge pole on top of the tripod instead of slinging it underneath. Maybe it is just me, but I would think this would eliminate the extra cordage.
    You can, but make sure to watch out for the following: (a) lashing slippage. For whatever reason, I found that the lashing would creep on me when I did this, whereas there was no creep from hanging. Dunno why.

(b) slightly easier to tip. The center of gravity is up higher, so if you don't have a considerably wide base, and your 6 year old daughter decides it'll be really funny to start rocking daddy (even though he is screaming "You fool! You fool! You'll kill us all!!!", there is a possibility that it might tip over. This information comes merely from hearsay, mind you, and not from personal experience . (she will be missed... by her mother).
    Last edited by timabababaluka; 05-23-2011 at 17:39. Reason: couldn't resist; aesthetics
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Good work Turtlelady.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentCyan View Post
    Sorry if this is getting a little too old to bring back up but this looks like a really neat idea. I'd love to be able to hang inside but I don't have the room for most of the other DIY stands I've seen and adding permanent attachment points somewhere isn't an option either. Unfortunately I don't have any bamboo around so I was wondering what would make an acceptable replacement? Would 1" or 1-1/2" electrical conduit be sturdy enough for this?
    I don't believe elec. conduit can take the forces. Bamboo is considered a noxious weed and outlawed in many communities. Check your local city/county landfill - often the road crews cut down bamboo and take it to the dumps.
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast