Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I am very new and was in your place about 4 weeks ago and after reading post after post after post I made my mind up and bought a Clark North American. I have two just plan old nylon backpacking open air no bug net no frells hammocks and love camping in them. But It required me to carry a tarp and I did not know there were better tarps out there so I was using one of those heavy as hell walmart blue tarps. After reading all those post I bought the Clark and have spent the past 6 days in it sleeping in my back yard testing it for everything I can. I am a very hot sleeper so all I have been useing is a real cheap sleeping bag maybe a 40-50 degree bag and the weather here has dipped down the high 30's a couple of night this week with some wind. Like most people here they have there favorite's and that is what I based my opinon on. I like you am over 6ft tall and weigh somewhere around 230 -250 depending on what I am doing. I wanted a hammock that would hold my weight and give me room to strech out. I am a 4 season backpacker most of the time and i rarely see temp below 0 but in the past I have used like I said an open air hammock and traps and 0 degree bags of some kind. I also use the same thing in a two person tent which as of today will never sleep in another tent again if I can keep at all from it.

This forum and the people in this forum with out a doubt have been the greatest thing I have found and I am sure you will find out the same as you trex you way through all of it.

Make sure that you do you homework first look at quilty over price there are some good one's out there and in fact I am looking at getting a H/H very soon but my first real good Hammock was a Clark and I must say I have been very pleased so far with it this week we are suppose to get rain and I think gettin the XL rainfly with the Clark North American was a good idea and again my hat's off to those of them who help make that choice for me.

Oh as a side not the H/H will be a deluxe when I order it and it will only be used as a second for someone who need's one that backpacks or camps with me. I will be in the CONDO.

have fun take a good hard look at everything out there go to the manufacter's page on this forum click on links and read about what everyone is saying then make youself a hanger.

CODO's to all that helped me

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Oh and lastly think about what all you will be able to carry some hammocks you will have to carry allot of other things with you to make it warmer,comfy,dryer.ect so if you dont want to carry allot of stuff like I said do you homework first then buy.

But you can beat sleeping in the air.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good luck settling on a hammock. My first camping hammock was a HH and I still love it (slept in it last night on a whim). I have since acquired a Warbonnet, ENO Single & DoubleNest, Trek Light Double, & a few homemade.

Shadowmoss is absolutely correct; go to the events and see what is out there. I would have had a much more difficult time had I not been at Trail Days and saw/touched all the set-ups. I don't have a single hammock that is perfect in all regards, but all of them work well for me. Look for sales, learn to sew, & get a second job; welcome to hanging!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Good luck settling on a hammock. My first camping hammock was a HH and I still love it (slept in it last night on a whim). I have since acquired a Warbonnet, ENO Single & DoubleNest, Trek Light Double, & a few homemade.

Shadowmoss is absolutely correct; go to the events and see what is out there. I would have had a much more difficult time had I not been at Trail Days and saw/touched all the set-ups. I don't have a single hammock that is perfect in all regards, but all of them work well for me. Look for sales, learn to sew, & get a second job; welcome to hanging!
    Get a second job? Then you wont have time to hang.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, that's why I had to quit.

Also explains why I was able to resist the HH topless sale.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

The learning to sew part ( and buying my own sewing machine ) has been the most important one for me. After all your friends and relatives get over the shock of it they will soon come around to wanting you to make them something. Shadowmoss is also spot on about spending the 20 dollars or so ( Wal Mart bargin bin fabric ) to make your own hammocks. The folks on here will give excellent advice and help on problems that you may encounter. Back yard testing is important. I think you already are aware of the "know your gear" aspect of outdoors backcountry endevours.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12