WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looking good Red! Just wondering about the two brummels on each side of the diamond knot. Are they just to be tidy?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Looks great!

This will probably be easier to work with in the cold, I didn't like fumbling around with my softshackles in winter time (backup my Black Diamond Oz biners)...

Mmmmm gotta ask a fellow hanger over here to make me two....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Marling spike seamanship

Red:
    This is yours, isn't it? Same State, and interests, not to mention moniker?

Nice work, and I thought it or a similar real decorative knot used to greet the visitor, before that pride-of-place went to a graphic image, tasty in its own way.

Some flash and good feel in a softie is good. Who doesn't like the look and feel of a whipped end? Yeah, and we could do with some smart and fancy collars, too, as varied as the covers on 'spensive yachting cordage.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Looking good Red! Just wondering about the two brummels on each side of the diamond knot. Are they just to be tidy?
    The Brummel under the knot keeps the burys from moving while tying the diamond, if you don't lock them the outer one seems to move a lot (IIRC). The LB on top of the knot is just for tidyness. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Looks great!

This will probably be easier to work with in the cold, I didn't like fumbling around with my softshackles in winter time (backup my Black Diamond Oz biners)...Grtz Johan
    Thanks B2R. Yes, much easier to operate in the cold. I suppose it would be possible for them to freeze, but thats true of any SS, a splash of hot water would fix it tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Red:
    This is yours, isn't it? Same State, and interests, not to mention moniker?

Nice work, and I thought it or a similar real decorative knot used to greet the visitor, before that pride-of-place went to a graphic image, tasty in its own way.

Some flash and good feel in a softie is good. Who doesn't like the look and feel of a whipped end? Yeah, and we could do with some smart and fancy collars, too, as varied as the covers on 'spensive yachting cordage.
    Yep, thats me, thanks. I have a soft spot for fancy rope stuff. I like stuff to be nice to look at, as well as functional. Thats why I put finger patches on my tarp, it was a lot of extra work, but they look cool! I often look for ways to incorporate a more "salty" look into my rig, but its not always possible or practical. Maybe someday I'll come up with something that looks good and works well too.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Since I had to redo the whipping on my SS and Smokebait mentioned a sleeve, I had a piece of tubing I thought might work. Technically it does work, it wouldn't hurt if it was a little tighter, but there's also the issue of it coming off the end. I'm just putting it out there to see if it sparks any other ideas. I'm sure I'll be rewhipping it momentarily, tho' I like the concept of a sleeve.

Last edited by Redoleary; 03-29-2012 at 10:47.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    I played around with sleeves and you can put a bead in the loop to stop the slider from coming off. The best for me was a length of cobra stitch on the end of the loop. Gives me something to grab a hold of when my hands are bothering me. I still prefer the whipping or cobra stitch to sleeves as I use different size cordage for soft shackles (replaces mini biners) and it can be hard to find a sleeve the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    The Brummel under the knot keeps the burys from moving while tying the diamond, if you don't lock them the outer one seems to move a lot (IIRC). The LB on top of the knot is just for tidyness. Thanks.
    The brummel under also prevents you from accidentally pulling the loop completely into the bury. I started tying them on all my shackles recently.

I never minded the time it takes to open them, but sometimes after they're hooked on it can be tricky to milk the bury back around. I might start messing around with something similar to what you have here.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This is some really nice work as usual, Red.
    I always loved the idea of soft shackles and have made a few of both varieties that you mentioned. But they have always had a high fiddle factor when working with them.

I've seen them made with a cobra stitch slider for a closure. But now that I see how elegant you've made yours, I'm inspired to copy it. Now where did I leave my Amstee....
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I played around with sleeves and you can put a bead in the loop to stop the slider from coming off. The best for me was a length of cobra stitch on the end of the loop. Gives me something to grab a hold of when my hands are bothering me. I still prefer the whipping or cobra stitch to sleeves as I use different size cordage for soft shackles (replaces mini biners) and it can be hard to find a sleeve the right size.
    I had considered the bead, but you need to put that on when you start, I was already finished before I realized I screwed up the whipping (Doh! ) Is it hard to not tie the cobra stitch too tight? Ya have to be careful with the whipping, its easy to over tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoot View Post
    The brummel under also prevents you from accidentally pulling the loop completely into the bury. I started tying them on all my shackles recently.

I never minded the time it takes to open them, but sometimes after they're hooked on it can be tricky to milk the bury back around. I might start messing around with something similar to what you have here.
    True, the brummel under, makes life easier in general.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    This is some really nice work as usual, Red.
    I always loved the idea of soft shackles and have made a few of both varieties that you mentioned. But they have always had a high fiddle factor when working with them.

I've seen them made with a cobra stitch slider for a closure. But now that I see how elegant you've made yours, I'm inspired to copy it. Now where did I leave my Amstee....
    Thanks MAD, throw up a pic. when you get one made. I might give the cobra stitch a go too, we'll see.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I had considered the bead, but you need to put that on when you start, I was already finished before I realized I screwed up the whipping (Doh! ) Is it hard to not tie the cobra stitch too tight? Ya have to be careful with the whipping, its easy to over tighten.

I didn't like the bead much. Like you said, you can't add it later and if it is too big, I had trouble getting it to close right. I have added a loop and tied a stopper knot and that works well. You can adjust the tension on the cobra stitch to whatever tension you like. From real loose to so tight you can't slide it. The whipping stitch not so much. There is a very narrow window to use. A hair too loose and it unravels. A hair too tight and it won't slide at all (which is what it was originally designed for).

Plus, I like the flatness of the cobra stitch. It is easier for me to grab a hold of.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast