Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    as far as the weight limit for the dbl 1.7, I am 350+ and have no problem using it. have slept in it a couple of nights this week, and have had no noticable sag in the material.
    How long have you been using yours? I fall into the same weight range and I am concerned about long-term durability if I get one. I haven't heard one bad word said about any of the Warbonnet gear, but I am concerned that my weight is close enough to the max-load to cause premature wear. $160 is a lot of money for me to shell out if I have to replace the hammock every other year.

Don't get me wrong, the BB is DEFINITELY on my list of gear to acquire once have disposable funds to dispose of, I just want to make sure that I get the right version for me.

If it's needed, does anyone know what it cost to have the extra layer of 1.1 put on?
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spratto View Post
    Hogg Tyed,

I'm a big boy as well (325 lbs) and I'd really like to try hammock camping this fall. I have been leaning toward the Clark NX250, but $400 is a lot of jack to spend on a hammock. In looking at your posting, it looks as if the BB would also work for me. That being said, I have three questions for you:

1) What factors played into your decision to go with the BB other than the obvious weight consideration that we both have?

Thanks!

Spratt
    Cannibal covered #2 and #3 nicely.
    Shrek is also correct on #1 I made my decision after looking at his.

I like the way the hammock spreads out on the head end lots of shoulder arm room for a hammock. I liked the ridgeline to aid in set-up and hang things on, and the shelf was a nice touch. I liked the way it looked in general, the pad pocket for when it gets really cold. The wing effect makes it stands out in the crowd above the average hammock. IMHO. I found it esthetically pleasing to the eye. And customer service Brandon was great to work with, he built a hammock I am confident will hold me.

I am pretty sure at 325 you would be safe with the stock double 1.7. Something to think about if your a side sleeper which side do you sleep on most. You can have it made with the opening on either side. On the left seems to sleep better while on your back or left side. Opinions very on that though. There is an entire thread that talks about it on the forum.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salmonofdoubt View Post
    How long have you been using yours? I fall into the same weight range and I am concerned about long-term durability if I get one. I haven't heard one bad word said about any of the Warbonnet gear, but I am concerned that my weight is close enough to the max-load to cause premature wear. $160 is a lot of money for me to shell out if I have to replace the hammock every other year.

Don't get me wrong, the BB is DEFINITELY on my list of gear to acquire once have disposable funds to dispose of, I just want to make sure that I get the right version for me.

If it's needed, does anyone know what it cost to have the extra layer of 1.1 put on?
    I just got mine last week. It was used, but I don't know how much. It' is in great shape. I had the same concerns as you as far as longevity for the price. As far as how much I am using it, I am sleeping in it every other night right now. the job I am on allows me the option of camping out at least 3 nights a week like I said earlier, the fabric doesn't seem to stretch when I get in, and I am very well supported all night long. not to mention well rested (unlike the others on this job) I will keep you informed of how well it's holding up if you like.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    if it helps any, I also have a couple of cheap Kalisto hammocks. they are rated for 300lbs, but I changed the suspension over on them, and they hold me as well.

P.S. get the blackbird, you won't regret it. If you notice that it isn't suppoting you the way you think it should, it won't last long in the for sale section.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    P.S. get the blackbird, you won't regret it. If you notice that it isn't suppoting you the way you think it should, it won't last long in the for sale section.

Good Point

And thanks.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123