WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    9" of bury is not enough according to Sampson Rope. You should have about 12" bury.
    Not sure where you got this. I haven't found instructions for UCR's from the rope manufacturers and doubt that we ever will. We're on our own with them.

However, Samson calls for a 3.5 fid length bury for the adjustable loop of a whoopie (which doesn't really apply since both ends of the constrictor are under tension vs one end on a UCR). For 2mm Dynaglide, this works out to ~6". The maker of Dynaglide, New England Ropes only calls for a 1.5 fid length bury (which I won't be using for whoopies).

And yes, a UCR's bury needs to be longer than a whoopie's since one end is not tensioned well.

Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    ...and I guess they just needed to be worn in and rub that slick coating off. Worked like a charm!...
    Good deal. Reading your OP got me curious enough to finally try Dynaglide UCR's. Thanks for that! The adjustable buries ended up ~8.5" after splicing and haven't slipped at all with a prusik type of hitch holding the unweighted end taut.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Each side of these has a 9" bury
    Well there is your problem...I weight about the same minus 4lbs and I havent had any problems with mine. I use a taut-line hitch for mine though with 12.5" buries. My video on how I make mine is in my Signature.

My 7/64" amsteel UCRs are shorter than my Dynaglide ones. They are only 10".

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Well there is your problem...I weight about the same minus 4lbs and I havent had any problems with mine. I use a taut-line hitch for mine though with 12.5" buries.
    I dunno, I think Caveman weighs more than me (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm down to 185 now, sad day), and he was bouncing around in them in his video.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I dunno, I think Caveman weighs more than me (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm down to 185 now, sad day), and he was bouncing around in them in his video.
    The smaller diameter dynaglide needs longer buries than thicker amsteel. I have learned this from experience. My first set of dynaglide UCRs were 10" just like my 7/64s amsteel UCRs and they slipped just like yours did. Others on here have had the same results.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm ~187 lbs using 8.5" buries with green dynaglide and no slipping from the get-go.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    My recent version uses 7/64 amsteel with 9" of bury on the UCR's. The slippery half hitches didn't work very well but the taut lines are great. Just milk the bury and snug the taut line and no slipping. I'm at 225#.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Oregon, so BIG.
    Insulation
    TQ MIA,UQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    MSH, whoopies + RL
    I actually just bought ~250 ft of 7/64 am and 45 yards of 1.9 to make hammocks with. Last weekend was the beta test on a set of UCRs with a fairly short bury, probably around 6-8". It held fine at first, then I had my friend join me (two 180 lb dudes) to see if it could handle it since I am making double layered ones mostly. It failed and actually just stretched where the bury ends so badly I couldn't get it to release. After a few modified knots to get through the night I slept fine, but my UCRs became a rope with fixed loops in the end and I used my straps for adjusting . This weekend I am alpha testing my design with a much longer bury probably double the length and plan to do some "dynamic" hammocking before I put my friends in harms way... for safety and science.

I also made my first sewn hammock as well. Little peeved I got non ripstop 1.9 from magna... but I think it should hold just fine. If anyone disagrees with that PLEASE tell me before I make around 10 of these and hurt one of my friends. My buddy is beta testing my sew job this weekend as well haha.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I probably wouldn't trust a bury shorter than 9" on UCR's or shorter than 8" on whoopies. Are you worried the 1.9 isn't sturdy enough to hold you, or...?
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12