Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Might be interesting to try with a warbonnet style whipped hammock. Just run the line thru the whippings with knots on the inside of whipping tied at desired RL length, then tie-off. Might be worth a go.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    For what it's worth, the 50% rule for prussik knots isn't all that accurate. It all depends on the type of cord. I've successfully used a purcell prussik, which is an ascending system comprised of a bit of cord tied back onto itself with a prussik knot for adjustability. This thing holds well enough to use as an adjustable anchor point for rock climbing, and it's basically a prussik attached to cord of the same size.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    For what it's worth, the 50% rule for prussik knots isn't all that accurate. It all depends on the type of cord . I've successfully used a purcell prussik, which is an ascending system comprised of a bit of cord tied back onto itself with a prussik knot for adjustability. This thing holds well enough to use as an adjustable anchor point for rock climbing, and it's basically a prussik attached to cord of the same size.
    yeah, no kidding. I've been doing some stuff with very slippery cord used in sailing, and knots I'd always thought to be non-slip and "safe" actually slip. But then sheathed cord that offers a lot of resistance would I think not only work, but may work with smaller diameter, and / or more complex hitches such as you suggest.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I just realized that this single line prusik system is not as foriegn to me as I thought.... I was trying to wrap my little brain around the exact suspension I've been using on my tarp for months!!! It sure works great for that application as the tarp can be adjusted up/down the ridge line, and it also makes it easy to leave just enough sag in the section of ridgeline under the tarp that it doesn't wear the tarp. I have two more prusik loops that I leave attached to this saggy ridgeline to clip my bugnet to. I then slide those if the net is hanging loosely.

This support system should work for a hammock. It just depends on the rope used.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    IF you were trying to use a SLS then would it not make sense to use cordage tthat was about twice as strong as you would normally use in order to lessen the stretch? so using the thick dyneema cord would be better?

Images
    Thanks for not slamming this from the git go....the 25 to 30 foot length was an arbitrary length used for example...Idea is; you can substitute a rope/cord (Of whatever diameter) for the straps and hammock suspension ropes, and gain because you then have the ability to span a much larger distance between tie outs than before, with the same ability to pitch a ridgeline tarp......AND you can also decide to move the whole setup to one end of the suspension line or the other, or anywhere in between....

The biggest and most frequent problem with hanging I've faced is finding a place to hang when the tieout points are to far apart to be useable...everything else I seem to have a handle on.....

It may have been done before, but I'm going to work on this idea....seems I remember a technique I used in the military for single rope suspension bridges refered to way back then as a transport tightening system....should work to tension a hammock suspension line.....

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, be sure to post your results, now that you've gotten us all interested.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    ......AND you can also decide to move the whole setup to one end of the suspension line or the other, or anywhere in between....
    with a really long span you might have some surprises in store when you shoved the hammock all the way to one end or another. Nothing that changing the height of the attachment point on a tree couldn't deal with, but you might need a lightweight backpacker's titanium step-ladder...funny things happen when you go off center...

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Funny strange, or funny "ha ha"?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I cerrainly think this system can work. And I often do carry long lengths of rope. ( mostly a 'just in case' thing. I rarely if ever use anywhere near all the cordage I bring. Maybe with more experience I'll find just how much I really need and will leave the rest at home.)

I like the idea of being able to easily adjust things and having a ridgeline...and having a long length of cord if needed ,but I like the easy of ring buckles/ straps so I can just throw the ends around the tree and clip with the carabiner. I think I can put my hammock, net, and tarp in less than one minute! Thought that it not at all necessary. I'd probably be better off to have something lighter and less bulky. Doubt I'll switch for a while though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast