Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First DIY Tarp

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    Awesome. Perfect size in my opinion. I've got several yards of gray ripstop sil-nylon in my workshop just waiting on me to figure out why my wifes sewing machine misses stitches and bunches up the material. A tarp just like this is the eventual result of it.
    I'm not a sewing machine expert. Mine did that a couple times when the needle was in backwards or the bobbin. Ask it as a thread topic and people that know more will chime in.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm not a sewing machine expert. Mine did that a couple times when the needle was in backwards or the bobbin. Ask it as a thread topic and people that know more will chime in.
    Will do. Thanks Coffee.

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Great looking tarp mate. Fantastic effort. When I finished up mine everyone recomended side pulls and it was the best idea since the one to make the tarp. Good luck with it and may it rain only when you want it to.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    As for the blue mat what is an aternative to use with my HH super shelter. I found the the SS was just not enough last weekend (night temps 35-40, back was cold just after geting in).
    Per the recommendation of others, I added a space blanket (reflective side up) on top of the open cell foam pad in the SS and have twice slept comfortably at 36 degrees using a 15 degree down bag. This really surprised me since I normally get very cold even in a tent. Maybe I was just lucky, but give it a try for yourself. The SB's only cost a couple bucks.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    Awesome. Perfect size in my opinion. I've got several yards of gray ripstop sil-nylon in my workshop just waiting on me to figure out why my wifes sewing machine misses stitches and bunches up the material. A tarp just like this is the eventual result of it.
    How long has it been since the machine was oiled and adjusted (tuned up)? Mine did that at first - then I realized it had never been serviced. A day at the shop and it works like a charm.

Another thing that sometimes gums up the works is not enough thread on the bobbin - seems to mess with the tension.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Per the recommendation of others, I added a space blanket (reflective side up) on top of the open cell foam pad in the SS and have twice slept comfortably at 36 degrees using a 15 degree down bag. This really surprised me since I normally get very cold even in a tent. Maybe I was just lucky, but give it a try for yourself. The SB's only cost a couple bucks.
    Thanks Ron,
    I actually have one of them and I thought I try the blue WM mat first. Of course, now I know that it will stay home and the space blanket will get used on future hangs.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    How long has it been since the machine was oiled and adjusted (tuned up)? Mine did that at first - then I realized it had never been serviced. A day at the shop and it works like a charm.

Another thing that sometimes gums up the works is not enough thread on the bobbin - seems to mess with the tension.
    I agree Lori.

You can do the oiling your self. Your sewing machine manual will tell you where the oil needs to be applied. The important thing is you just need a VERY SMALL amount of oil applied to each location.

Just before you oil the machine I would wipe the bobbin carriage area with a dry cloth to get any fabric dust/ debris removed.

The last thing that I noticed the with sil nylon, is that you need to keep the fabric taught (not stretched) while sewing it. When I do this, I don’t get missed/ loose stitches.

I hope this helps.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    another thing I've found with sewing silnylon is that the needle will get dull really fast!!! and a dull needle wont sew as well and can miss stitches. So replace your needle with another and I will use a smaller needle size too. Make sure you're using 100% polyester thread (not polyester covered cotton) and use the same thread on the bobbin.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12