Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Use of a sleeping bag liner to add warmth

Hi everyone. I hope this is the right section because of its relation to the thru hike of the AT I'm planning. I planning on leaving a little earlier in the season than normal. So I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on using a cold weather sleeping bag liner to add warmth to the 20* TQ/UQ setup I planning on buying. I'm hoping that as it warms up i can switch to different combinations of these along with venting for my sleep system. I'm thinking of using the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Mummy Bag Liner. This is also my first venture into cold weather/thru hike hammoking.

I have the extreme reactor liner and it doesn't exactly add 20*, that is a median value that they've decided was representative of the extra comfort you may experience when using it. It differs between each user. I use mine every time I hang - summer/winter, etc. It is a very versatile item, albeit a bit heavy for what its worth.
    Getting into/out of it can be a challenge sometimes, but nothing that would ever change my mind about using it.
    I'd say go for it, just try to test it out first before you go, so you know what it will do for you
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I have one of those I converted into a top sheet. I use it by itself in the summer and plan on using it for the purpose you're mentioning this winter. I would definitely test it out at home before I took it to the woods. You can knock about 4 oz off of it by converting it to a top sheet. Not sure how well it will cooperate with you and a TQ like that though, as far as staying in place goes. But when I used it whole I didn't have any trouble getting in and out of it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I've used one with my TQ and it does add warmth, but I don't think it added 20*. I have been thinking about splitting it down the bottom to make it easier to get into, but so far have I been doing OK getting in and out.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    My DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    HG 20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    straps
    Good luck on the trip.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    You said you have a 20* setup. I've owned the extreme reactor and I wasn't that impressed with it, especially for the weight. Have you considered pairing the UQ/TQ with a down jacket, a warm hat, down or fleece and even down pants and booties...some or all of which you might be carrying anyway..to supplement your insulation. Just a thought.
    Have a great trip!
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I have a silk liner and it is very useful. Adds some warmth. Is easy to just lay over you, or climb into (not that easy, as has been noted. I'd take it.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I use a Swiss Army surplus fleece mummy bag liner and it does add some warmth. I can tie the drawstring to a prusik on the ridgeline:

And use it like a sleeping bag to add warmth to both my underquilt and top quilt.

Thanks for all the advice every body. I hadn't thought of the top sheet idea. I may do that to cut wait and to protect my TQ some from grime and wear, it would also give me something for just a little warmth as the temps go up. I think im going to keep shopping around though before my final decision.

Images
    I keep a mummy shaped silk liner in the pocket of my BMBH at all times so it's right there if I need it. It folds down so small I never even notice it in the pocket. They're real nice, yet quite cheap, so I bought 3. A ebay store has them, don't be deterred from their location, they're nice to deal with and shipping was pretty quick considering.

Spirits of Vietnam

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast