Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Peter,

How high the hammock hangs from the ground? That is hard to answer with my set ups because each set up has so many variables. If I and my UQ are clearing the ground with 12 clearance once I am actually sitting in the hammock, I count it good for the night.

I prefer closer to 18-22" to be able to stand up comfortably from a sitting position, but the conditions of the hang situation, which stand spread how far, which hammock, which suspension, how my knees feel that day, all contribute to what is acceptable. If I remain suspended after all stretching, and can roll out at all onto a dry clean, safe surface, I can stand up. That is success in my world.

Everyone plays with the lengths to find their own ideal, so if you can, design for some variability. I try to design room for tweaking the setup as needed, because the portability and flexibility to fit many situations is very important. For a use it only at home stand, you can plan tighter.

Can't wait to see your final product.

Joyfully, and Curious in KY, Turtlelady

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webs and whoopies
    Thanks for the insight. I still nee to heat cure my bamboo, which I am planning to do on my grill. Preliminary testing worked out OK. Will post some photos when things start hanging. Thanks again.
    The Hip

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I reported on the quicky first setup of this aluminum stand yesterday in the TurtleDog Stand thread post #203

I set it up again tonight and got it dialed in (for a given hammock and suspension). I added a 4'section to the ridgeline making it 16' of which I'm using about 14'. This is a big stand and I continue to be amazed at how solid it is.

The whole thing breaks down into sixteen 4' sections weighing ~34 lbs. Very packable for car camping.

For anyone interested, that's my new BIAS Buginator Bug Net in the photo...a very nice net for large hammocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webs and whoopies

First Shot

Few pic of my first go at it. Took a few tweaks to get it stable but its holding now. I have the bug net up also cause my yard has major skeets. It was fun getting it together.

Thanks Turtlelady!
    The Hip

Hey gmcttr- I LOVE your portable aluminum hammock!! I am new to the forum and have been reading about portable hammocks non-stop for the past three days. Yours is by far my favorite because the legs break down for easier transport.

Could you please post some close up pictures showing how you attached the pole to each other at the top and how you secured your ridgeline in the center of your tripods? Thanks!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I reported on the quicky first setup of this aluminum stand yesterday in the TurtleDog Stand thread post #203...
    wildemommy...I just connected the tripod legs with the standard tripod lashing as shown in this video.

The ridge pole is hung from the center legs by a continuous loop (white rope w/pink tracer) on each end. The continuous loops are also wrapped once around the ridgepole so that it doesn't easily slip out. To secure the ridgepole sections to each other, I'm just using gaffer's tape (think duct tape that doesn't leave adhesive behind).

Gmcttr...That sounds easy enough. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for posting the pics and the details!!
    Last edited by wildemommy; 07-01-2012 at 00:29.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Hip, Thanks for posting your photos. Well done. Nice bamboo you got, for freebies! I like your idea of bundling the ridgepoles for better strength. I may try this with the more readily available small diameter local bamboo, just for fun.

Do you have any feedback to share about the heat curing process?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'm working with Turtle Lady to draw up and illustrate plans for the Turtle Lady and TurtleDog stand variants. There are lots of little mods that I've seen and I want to make the best of them in the illustration.

If you've created a stand, I'd love to see some photos, especially close-up shots of any specific hardware and building techniques. The illustration will have a materials list and hopefully be helpful to anyone looking to build the stand in the future.

Feel free to post pictures to my email: [email protected], or here on the forum.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Thanks dejoha from one who doesn't have your skills at illustration.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast