Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Staying warm is pretty subjective. I've known people that walk around in shorts in the 30s, and I've known people that have on everything they own in the 50s and are still freezing.

For me the lightest thing I've used regularly down to 32F is a DIY 10 ounce pad I've used for years, and a 20 ounce JRB top quilt. Of course my clothing plays into how I feel comfortable.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks
    Wooow jsut read this whole thread! TWO YEARS LONG?! Also, was wondering where someone could still find the original gear list at the prices listed? I clicked on the links and they are all broken.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    Wooow jsut read this whole thread! TWO YEARS LONG?! Also, was wondering where someone could still find the original gear list at the prices listed? I clicked on the links and they are all broken.
    yeah, updated links and maybe include insulation to see where the margins would be with modern gear and pricing?

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Some more great info, thanks!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    All for under a pound? Ridiculous

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    How often is a bug net really necessary? They seem to be the heaviest part of the set up. I usually camp in the southern Apps. My tents had bug nets and my HH has one but I've tarped a few times w/o and was fine after using bug spray.

I haven't used Permethrin, but if clothes and hammock are treated and you're using a max DEET spray, wouldn't you be OK? I heard that black flies are devils with wings but I've never had to deal with them.

Well if you work outdoors a lot, hardly touch any sugar ever, build a thick skin... and if that doesn't work would you like a bug net?
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    The only issue I have with this setup is the hammock itself. I like a nice long and wide hammock to roll around in. 10' - 11' of hammock and at least 5' wide. Granted, my first hammock was a bit shorter and not as wide and I slept ok in it, but the first time I laid in a DIY 10' x 65", I was in heaven and slept so much better. Having a hammock this size puts my kit over the 13oz mark without even adding in the tarp but when it comes to comfort it is worth the few extra ounces. Granted, this is just a preference thing. Some people sleep just fine in the GT Nano.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    800FP Downtek
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Rock, great info!

+1 and I agree only 12' long x 5' wide for me - LOL.

I have tested all sorts of lengths, single layer, double layer, short, long, very long, very wide, very narrow, trapazoid cut etc and the one that works for me is the 5x12 dbl layer.

I think my next hammock will be a 12' long double M50 hammock and we will see how long that last. It will weigh 10oz.

That said I would not last 5 minutes in a nano although Loner did most of the AT with one. It eventually failed at around the 2/3 - 3/4 point and he bought a grand trunk ultralight to finish off.

Still I will be at 10 oz for hammock, 3.5 oz for suspension, 12.5 oz for my longer sil tadpole knockoff = acceptable at 26oz and about $152.

I changed my suspension to one very similar to rocks only amsteel, 5/8" mule tape, and I use loops to larks head onto the hammock ends and use 2 whoopie hooks each end. One for the tree strap and one on the hammock loop.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    The only issue I have with this setup is the hammock itself. I like a nice long and wide hammock to roll around in. 10' - 11' of hammock and at least 5' wide. Granted, my first hammock was a bit shorter and not as wide and I slept ok in it, but the first time I laid in a DIY 10' x 65", I was in heaven and slept so much better. Having a hammock this size puts my kit over the 13oz mark without even adding in the tarp but when it comes to comfort it is worth the few extra ounces. Granted, this is just a preference thing. Some people sleep just fine in the GT Nano.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG CF w/Door
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'm still testing & tweaking, but last week I sent out a SGT Rock style bug net that weighed 1.82oz. (including the stuff sack). I'll be posting full updates as soon as I get them.
    I realize this thread is old. And that I'm new. And really have no clue. Yet.

But when I was a kid, my parents owned a camper that had an awning attached to it. The attachment point was a c-channel attached to the camper that the awning slid down and locked into due to a rounded edge. I notice a lot of bug nets talk about zippers, permanent attachment and I'm sure someone has tried velcro. But I like the idea of a c-channel on the bug net that slides down a 1/16" or 1/8" cord that has been sewn into the hem of the hammock. I'm not sure there is flexible c-channel, let alone that can be worked into a fabric that can be used as a bug net. I don't know how flexible the c-channel would have to be while still being rigid enough to be able to hold the corded hem...

Surely, though such a system would certainly be lighter than full length zipper/velcro while still allowing detachment.

I'm looking to make my own hammock here in the next couple weeks and would like to try such a setup if it's possible. Any attempts/thoughts on such a closure system?
    Last edited by MyD0j0; 09-03-2013 at 17:28. Reason: Additional thoughts...

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast