Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images

Wind River Range - Lizard Head Loop

Just got back Tuesday after traveling from Oklahoma City to Boulder, WY - First trip of 2010.
    Spent 5 days, 4 nights hiking the 40+ mile Lizard Head Loop starting from Big Sandy Campground. (August 18th through 22nd)
    Should have been 4 days and 3 nights but I got the dog and myself lost at the top of the loop and spent a day off on another trail to Moccasin Lake.
    But everything worked out fine. And the scenery and weather were perfect. Highs upper 70's/low 80's. Nights low 50's/upper 40's.
    Though the loop is rated difficult, I rate it at a 7 on a scale of 10. There was three tough spots, though. Hailey Pass is rough because it's just such a steep path with no real highlight.
    There is a massive boulder scramble around a small lake just before Lonesome Lake which was a full body workout. Had to grab the dog to lower or raise him up and over boulders several times. And I may have taken a low road around Graves Lake but that too was 20-30 minutes of massive boulders.
    This a good trail if you want to do half the route with an up and back. The east side going north has got the peak highlights. And the west side going north is filled with beautiful lakes.
    I won't say much more because I'm going to start a blog on my backpacking adventures; something I been wanting to do for a while. I'll post a notice here next week once I get it up and running.
    But in the mean time here are a few pics:

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Great photos and report. Beauty of a place. Also great backpacking partner you got there.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Man .... that is stunning country.
    Oh fortunate you.

How did your BlackBird workout??????????

Nice Briefing......
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 08-28-2010 at 21:48. Reason: afterthoughts my Liege.......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    The Blackbird will have to wait for the next trip - late September, maybe.

I had to wait for the BB; it just showed up today. So I borrowed a Hennessy Ultralite Explorer (that's what is pictured) since I had already sold my Cloudburst 2.

But at least a week out in the backcountry got me away from the anticipation of the Warbonnet hammock to come. Actually wanted to go to the Grand Tetons or even Yellowstone but my hiking partner's kind is not welcome in those areas. But the scenery was as good as any encountered in nine years of backpacking.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildgene View Post
    Just got back Tuesday after traveling from Oklahoma City to Boulder, WY - First trip of 2010.
    Spent 5 days, 4 nights hiking the 40+ mile Lizard Head Loop starting from Big Sandy Campground. (August 18th through 22nd)........................
    There is a massive boulder scramble around a small lake just before Lonesome Lake which was a full body workout. ...............
    But in the mean time here are a few pics:
    Quote Originally Posted by wildgene View Post
    The Blackbird will have to wait for the next trip - late September, maybe.

I had to wait for the BB; it just showed up today. So I borrowed a Hennessy Ultralite Explorer (that's what is pictured) since I had already sold my Cloudburst 2.

But at least a week out in the backcountry got me away from the anticipation of the Warbonnet hammock to come. Actually wanted to go to the Grand Tetons or even Yellowstone but my hiking partner's kind is not welcome in those areas. But the scenery was as good as any encountered in nine years of backpacking.
    Ironic, as you hiked right under Warbonnet Peak between Lonesome and Big Sandy Lakes!

Hey Wildgene, you are freaking me out here! My all time favorite country, I have been going there every few years since my NOLS course in 1985! If that is not enough, there is a picture of your HH UL Explorer at a WR lake! (which lake was that?) Just like my very 1st hammock adventure a few years back!

There is my HHULEXPL at Lonesome Lake, complete with poorly pitched tarp which I had not yet figured out yet. Still, what a trip that was and I'm ready to go back!

Listen, about that "massive boulder scramble around a small lake just before Lonesome Lake which was a full body workout.". Are you talking about the boulder field on the west(?) side of Arrowhead Lake at the bottom of Jack *** Pass, just south of and above Lonesome lake? Or do you mean another one? I have crossed that way several times over the years. The "easy" (easier) way is to take the higher, but smoother, Jackass Pass way above Arrowhead Lake. The boulder field along side the lake is shorter, but was hellish to me. My severe altitude sickness that trip did not help. But I'll never go that way again, I'll make the climb over the pass. Live and learn, I guess!

I truly enjoyed your post and pictures! Picture #8 looks like it is entering Jack *** Pass and looking back towards Big Sandy Lake and Temple Peak area, and just south of said accursed boulder field. ( Is that right?) Picture 9 looks like just north of JA pass and the boulder field, looking down on Lonesome Lake. With WARBONNET peak on your left as you face the lake. On the far shore line is where my hammock was pitched, at the foot of Pingora, in the pic I posted.

Where is the lake in the last pic, and the one where your hammock picture was made?

Thanks for the pics! Beautiful!

EDIT: PS: How did you sleep in your hammock?

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Great trip report! Old Gringo and the rest of us Okies held down the fort here in 105+ temps while you were gone. I think for our pain and suffering, you owe us a guided trip for a hang

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Any time spent in the Cirque of the Towers is time well spent.

You seem to have had no problem finding suitable trees. Every time I hiked through there, I had to contend with either multiple feet of snow or clouds of mosquitoes. You look to have missed both. I'm envious.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Nice report and pictures! I especially like the one of your hammock set up lakeside. It sure look peaceful! I'll be looking forward to following your blog. When you get it up and running.
    Terry

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    Great trip report! Old Gringo and the rest of us Okies held down the fort here in 105+ temps while you were gone. I think for our pain and suffering, you owe us a guided trip for a hang
    But it looked like I brought a cold front with me from WY. Last night there, Sunday, temp at night dropped to 30 degrees.
    Maybe next year, same time. I would love to go back. Two day drive by myself wasn't fun. Hate driving - waste backcountry time. You guys can drive.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Nice report and pictures! I especially like the one of your hammock set up lakeside. It sure look peaceful! I'll be looking forward to following your blog. When you get it up and running.
    My goal is at the end of the week, by Sunday night.

And the lake hang was good until 9pm. All four days previous didn't have to add the tarp but did just in case. So on the last night didn't break out the tarp but luck ran out with just enough rain to annoy. Then the cold front came through with a night temp at 30 degrees.
    Last edited by wildgene; 08-29-2010 at 21:19. Reason: added details

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast