Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Faux DIY Bottom Insulation

I am preparing for a fast two-day hang in the White Mountain National Forest in NH, and thinking about bottom insulation because of the radical temp drops in the mountains at night.

I will be hanging (FIRST hang ever! in a new HH Expedition, with a larger Camo HEX Fly and Snakeskins.

Worried about bottom insulation, I am thinking of trying this set-up:

Inserting full-length 3/8 inch CCF (have it already, maybe need to shape it? Cut into sections?) into a Fleece bag that I have, and placing it INSIDE the hammock, but UNDER my 20* sleeping bag. The fleece should add some warmth, and keep the CCF from getting wet, and be a layer between the sleeping bag and the CCF as well.

Thoughts from The Hanging Elders?

Oh ...I will be hanging right next to a riverbank as well (Fly Fishing Hang), so there will be mosquitoes and other flying creatures around - and the CCF may protect by backside from bites, I think.

Please speak, O Wise Ones!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    20* bag, pad and fleece..oh you'll be warm. Have a good hang.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Yes. You will definately be warm... possibly too warm.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You might not need the fleece. I don't care for pads in hammocks, but I've made them conform to the curved shape better by cutting a couple of 12" slits in each side to make darts - not sewn, just let the foam overlap. In the Whites, climb high, but camp low,

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Maybe a different system....

Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    Yes. You will definately be warm... possibly too warm.
    Thanks....well, maybe I won't need the 20* bag right away.... just sleep in the fleece bag,maybe with the Thermarest Reactor liner, with the CCF underneath it - inside the hammock. I will have enough with me to make whatever configuration seems to work. Since I got back from Vietnam, I have always been cold...even in the summer.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

CCF Pad sliced "Darts"

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    You might not need the fleece. I don't care for pads in hammocks, but I've made them conform to the curved shape better by cutting a couple of 12" slits in each side to make darts - not sewn, just let the foam overlap. In the Whites, climb high, but camp low,
    ===> Do you meant cut 12" slices in the ENDS of the CCF sheet? As opposed to the sides? That makes sense to me ....makes the last foot or so (I think 18" cuts may be better) fold over more into the correct shape, no?

I was going to trim the pad and round the shoulder corners and mildly round the bottom, but the slicing 'darts' wold allow me to keep it full sized (rectangle) if I ever had to be a ground dweller for whatever reason. Hmmmmm.... gotta think this through. I like the slicing, but full-sized option.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ===> Do you meant cut 12" slices in the ENDS of the CCF sheet? As opposed to the sides? That makes sense to me ....makes the last foot or so (I think 18" cuts may be better) fold over more into the correct shape, no?

I was going to trim the pad and round the shoulder corners and mildly round the bottom, but the slicing 'darts' wold allow me to keep it full sized (rectangle) if I ever had to be a ground dweller for whatever reason. Hmmmmm.... gotta think this through. I like the slicing, but full-sized option.

Thanks!
    I believe WV was advising slits in the side...about hip level. I'll let him respond, though. Absent clarification from him, do a backyard trial with the uncut CCF pad. You'll see almost instantly what is needed once you are actually on the pad in the hammock.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I believe WV was advising slits in the side...about hip level. I'll let him respond, though. Absent clarification from him, do a backyard trial with the uncut CCF pad. You'll see almost instantly what is needed once you are actually on the pad in the hammock.
    ===> D'OH! NOOOOW I get it! I may cut slits in the ends, too, so they can 'fold over' to conform to the narrowing taper of the hammock. Making slits, or even "V" cuts in the sides make a lot of sense .....THANKS! The CCF is cheap enough to experiment with a few different ways until I find what works for me! Thanks for correcting my interpretation!! BIG help!

The cool part about this whole thing is that there is no right or wrong way to do things. Just some ways that have been tested and known to work, and some less efficient or even more efficent ways.

As long as the thing thing goes up, stays up, and is comfortable, it's ALL good!

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Thanks....well, maybe I won't need the 20* bag right away.... just sleep in the fleece bag,maybe with the Thermarest Reactor liner, with the CCF underneath it - inside the hammock. I will have enough with me to make whatever configuration seems to work. Since I got back from Vietnam, I have always been cold...even in the summer.
    Since you are a COLD sleeper then your initial setup might be just right.

I'm also a COLD sleeper and my 20* bag is good to about 30-35*.
    I would reccommend that you use and additional CCF pad to go crosswise to give you better sholder coverage. you could put this under the Fleece bag that the other CCF pad is in. With this configuration I would try using the bag as a quilt (un-zip it leaving a foot box) to start with and if you find that you backside is getting cold, you can slide the bag uder you and zip up inside the bag. Of course you experience may differ from mine.

I started out using a pad and found that my body creates allot of condensation. and my bag was damp in the morning. So I don't use pads anymore. I would migrate to a UQ when you can. The KAQ or the JRB winter Nest works very well for me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks, Beep. The back yard test is a good idea. Where the pad buckles, slice. Take it slow, though. Not sure the ends will need cutting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast