Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Skeeter Beeter Pro upgrades

Some time back, I had a problem with the pull outs on my SB Pro mosquito netting. I had a loose line tied to each of the two elastic loops with an S hook inbetween; I had the S hook hanging on the SRL. At some point, I adjusted in the hammock and the wrong tension was applied to the bug net, and the elasic strap loops ripped off the netting leaving an ugly hole. I did the same thing to the other end but used a loose shock cord, and at some point the same thing happened, leaving two 1" holes in the bug net.

I had been wanting to repair these holes and also to burn 2 small holes into the netting through which I could run my SRL. I had originally made and installed short continuous loops to the gathered ends of the hammock to make it easier to connect my SLR, but this raised the SLR (holding up the netting) too high by 2-3". The SLR and CL can be seen here.

So I removed the CL and attached the SRL inside the lark's head of the whoopie slings. Sorry no pictures, but it did work out well. Here is one more pic of the burned hole in the netting.

Finally, once I had removed the CLs, I added pull outs on either side of the hammock. I also cut off the excess elastic stap loops, as I would not need them any more. Even with the added pull outs, the hammock weighs in at 29.6 oz (including all whoopies, and 2x 12' straps and wooden toggles), a savings of a whole .5 oz! I could (and eventually will) shorten my straps to 8' and 10', and I have extra length on my whoopies, which I may end up shortening as well. And I do have to turn down one of my yet to be finished toggles. In the end, I hope to remove another .5 to 1 oz from the hammock weight. It is not a WBBB, but short of the shelf and the footbox, I am even more satisified with the SB Pro, not that I have learned to stake out the sides.

I have no addequate hanging trees, so I will have to take it to the park on Friday when I have some free time before I can try it out and readjust the length on my adjustible SRL. I will take pics and post an update then.

The following week I am off to the Smoky Mountains and boy scout summer camp, where I hope to spend 8 straight nights in the hammock. My back will love me!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Love my GT SBP, although I'm so used to the tiny GT Nano7 now I feel like I'm swimming every time I get in it! These mods are awesome, I'm going to pass this thread along to my buddy who uses a GT SB as his main hammock [but refuses to use HammockForums lol].
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

better a torn bug net than this..............

the seam just below the bug screen, on the opposite side of the zipper, gave way before it ripped crossways along the bottom.
    i weigh 182-185 lbs.
    hammock was 7 months old, used a lot but never abused.

two hangs prior to this it was set up on a rock 30' high outcropping overlooking Enloe creek in the Smokys.
    i don't even want to think about what would have been the result of it failing that evening.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    better a torn bug net than this..............

the seam just below the bug screen, on the opposite side of the zipper, gave way before it ripped crossways along the bottom.
    i weigh 182-185 lbs.
    hammock was 7 months old, used a lot but never abused.

two hangs prior to this it was set up on a rock 30' high outcropping overlooking Enloe creek in the Smokys.
    i don't even want to think about what would have been the result of it failing that evening.
    Might call Grand Trunk, my buddy had this happen and they sent a replacement free.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    wow that rip is scary i own one of these and i weight 380 so thats like double what you are. could you have cut or nicked the fabric or something or did the seam rip to a point and stoped and headed south lol

i have a new hammock on the way.
    that box will be used to send this one back to them with a short note.

i've been very happy with the hammock right up until the time my rump hit the ground. better to have landed on the soft ground of Roan Mt. than the tumble down into the boulders of Enloe creek.
    that would have resulted in a bit longer of a note. perhaps by surviving family members.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTurtle View Post
    wow that rip is scary i own one of these and i weight 380 so thats like double what you are. could you have cut or nicked the fabric or something or did the seam rip to a point and stoped and headed south lol
    that's very possible.
    but the fact that it broke loose along that horizontal seam makes it rather unlikely.

like anything else, it's gotta be a tough balance for any gear maker to balance durability and our never ending obsession with weight.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    yea just glad that your ok and pray that dont happen to me im extra carefull when it comes to getting in my hammock i dont have anything on me that is even remotely pointy or sharp including pants buttons

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I am still pleased with the mods I made, and with 10 nights in the hammock (8 straight at scout camp!). I have also begun using the pull outs (which I had not done until recently) and find it to be considerably more comfortable.

JoeyB, sorry to hear of your troubles. I weigh 200, and mine is now almost 1 year old and I have spent nearly 35 nights camping in mine. Hope you were not injured too badly when you hit. Hope your new one arrives soon.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    these mods are awesome! my first hammock was a SBPro, and before I knew anything about anything, the bugnet pullouts ripped on mine too. i'd love to mod mine to have a super lightweight hammock with modern hammocking amenities so, you've done a SRL, whoopie slings, anything else on yours? mine still uses the stock hook connected to non stretchy colored rope.

great job!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast