Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Campalot View Post
    Digitizer , how big of a tarp would you recommend ? Would probably start out with that type myself . Let me know if I need to purchase anything for the suspension system or other things for setup. Thanks campalot
    Campalot, Let me check the camping room tonight and let you know. I am pretty sure I would have everything you would need for the hang with the exception of an underquilt and topquilt. You will need a sleeping bag that you can unzip to the foot box or some type of topquilt. I just use a down sleeping bag unzipped and it works well. The underquilt can just be a combination of pads if we don't have an underquilt available. A lot of hammock hangers prefer pads to underquilts as it creates a flater bed like surface.

You may want to throw your tent in your car just in case we set this all up for you and we find out that you are to tall for my rig, although the manufactures website claims it creates a bed surface of 7 ft. 2 in. L x 5 ft. W and if I recall you were tall but not 7 ft. tall. I always feel like this model is a little big for me and I am 5 ft. 8 in. tall. so I think it will be fine for you.

As for as the suspension goes I should have everything we need once my whoopie sling arrives in the mail. Ordered them last week so I am hoping they will arrive this week and thanks to Hairbear's gift exchange on the last camp-out I now have the toggles needed to hold it to the tree straps.

I will give you an update after I set everything up this evening just to be sure that I am not missing anything.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Under quilt and over quilt

What is a good width for a home made underquilt and topquilt ?

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    What is a good width for a home made underquilt and topquilt ?
    Check out jacks r better website they have specs for all their quilts as far as width ,length etc. Ceck out the ones that are for universal hammock use, so no matter what you decide for a hammock it would fit. I use a sleeping bag for my top quilt. good luck. sorry if i misread your pm.
    Last edited by hairbear; 01-28-2013 at 20:37.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Top quilt

Hairbear , I think the length of this down comforter is 84 inches long and 84 wide . Was wandering if there is enough there to make both ? Not sure what normal width is for underquilt . If only able to make one which one is cheapest to purchase ? I know I could probably use a sleeping bag for a topquilt for now . Your input and others would be a big help for a new comer to hammock camping . Thanks campalot

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Campalot, after checking last night I found everything that you will need for the hammock setup with the exception of the topquilt and underquilt. If you want to try and make these that is fantastic. I am no expert on the quilt DIY however I have built one of my own. It is a monster of a quilt and after building it I wish it was a little smaller not in width or length only in height/thickness. It could have actually been a little longer to be honest with you. If you are interested I did a video series on the making of the quilt I will post a link.

Before you begin to try and duplicate it though I would say that I made a lot of mistakes when making mine. The biggest mistake was the fabric I used for the baffles. I used a fabric referred to as tulle and it has started tearing every time I set up my hammock. the second mistake being the size as mentioned above it should have been longer and less height. And the last mistake well just getting the down in the quilt was a huge task in it self and didn't need to be as you will see if you watch the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyCk...i1iTFtY73LnRgw

PM me if you decide to make the quilts and we can talk. I have a few more suggestion that may help. Keep in mind that a pad works as well and I have many to choose from.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Hairbear , I think the length of this down comforter is 84 inches long and 84 wide . Was wandering if there is enough there to make both ? Not sure what normal width is for underquilt . If only able to make one which one is cheapest to purchase ? I know I could probably use a sleeping bag for a topquilt for now . Your input and others would be a big help for a new comer to hammock camping . Thanks campalot
    Half of 84 is 42 thats real narrow. You looked to be at least a 46 coat maybe 48. That would leave you nothing for a roll over seam or tucking material on the side to block the draft. If you flipped it head to toe and mummied the foot ends you might get it done. If it were me id want at least 54 inches in the shoulder after seaming,so thats 56 leaving you 26 after seaming on the foot end ,thats wider than my western mountaineering bag that im real comfy with by 6 inches. The down thats in the side area might get compressed ,but its great for stuffing up the gaps.

Digitizer would be the guy to talk to on making a quilt.

The sleeping bag i use is a mummy bag,wouldnt part with it . I give myself one pound for entertainment to use as i see fit,9 oz of it are invested in a sleeping bag over a top quilt,and the rest get eaten up by my buck 110 knife. The choices are not very entertaining,but i cant wrap up in an i pod to keep from freezing.
    Do you have a tarp for the hang ,if not i could bring my superfly for you to use.
    Last edited by hairbear; 01-29-2013 at 17:35.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    If you make the finished length 6 foot 6 inches there wont be much there for the foot box,you will have to add more to the length to get that.
    The quality and fill level of your comforter might take some going out side wrapped in it to see how well it works. If it functions poorly then use a two layer top quilt made from the two sides layered togeter. One layer for warm weather,two for colder. This would make your kit more diverse ,and lighter at the same time,by leaving one at home while its warmer.
    A good used under quilt of a known warmth value of 20 degrees could be bought used for between 150 and 200 dollars. This would give you the guarantee of warmth under you where it does the most good,and at the same time it would be shaped and set up for a suspension system. The top quilt just lays on top of you ,so it would be easier to make for a d. i y. project. good luck

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Superbly

Hairbear , if u don't mind go ahead and bring it with u . Was going to just get a tarp from Wally World . Could kick myself , had a rain fly from a Coleman tent that would have probably been real good for this type of camping and I threw it away about two months ago . Been sitting around for six months and got tired of looking at it in the corner of the garage . Thanks campalot

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Since the gear exchange went so well, how about we do a stove exchange this time? Maybe it can be a tradition. They are light enough to carry an extra and they are cheap to make / acquire.
    Optional, of course, but if you're in, bring a backpacking stove you'd like to pass on. It can be any fuel type.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Since the gear exchange went so well, how about we do a stove exchange this time? Maybe it can be a tradition. They are light enough to carry an extra and they are cheap to make / acquire.
    Optional, of course, but if you're in, bring a backpacking stove you'd like to pass on. It can be any fuel type.
    I am in, but then again I have backpacking stove laying all around my house so it is an easy exchange for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast